WOW Airlines dragging their feet on EC 261 compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 27, 2019
My family of 5 were scheduled to travel on WOW Airlines on November 15, 2018 from St. Louis to Keflavic. The flight was delayed by about 18 hours due to technical issues. I filed a claim for compensation under EC 261 a couple days later. Around the end of December, the claim was approved and they asked for our bank details to send a wire transfer with the money.

Here is the message I see when I log into the claim portal on the website:
"CLAIM STATUS
Thank you for sending us your information. We have sent your claim to our accounting team for payment. Please note that it takes around 12 weeks to process the payment."

I have followed up with WOW twice, on January 26 and on March 26 (yesterday), and keep being told that it's being processed and is taking longer than usual. I've been following the news stories of WOW's financial struggles, and I'm afraid they will keep dragging their feet and not paying. If they are declared insolvent, I expect that we would be out of luck, so I'd like to get the compensation ASAP. Is there any way to compel them to pay?

Feb 21, 2018
Agree with Christina...the claim can be filed, but it will be ranked behind other debts that are considered higher by the bankruptcy court and by the time any of the EU 261 claims have their turn, there may not be anything left.

Mar 27, 2019
Yes, I saw the news when I woke up this morning. This is unfortunate. I started getting a sense of urgency on Monday when there were stories trickling out about a handful of flights canceled and aircraft grounded, hence posting here, but I guess I'm probably out of luck. I did contact Icelandic Transport Authority. I don't think I have any other options for recourse (i.e. can't do a credit card chargeback for this type of compensation), so I'll just see what happens and make whatever further type of claim I can.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately you become a creditor and there are a long line of creditors before you that need to be paid first. Thank your lucky stars you were able to at least get your flights completed. They have stranded thousands of people who have traveled on the first leg of their trip and can’t get home.

Stay away from European discount airlines unless you do research on them. Many are in financial trouble already and this is what can happen if they go out of business.

Mar 27, 2019
I did research them when we booked the tickets (July 2018), but all the negative stories we read at that time were about lost luggage and lack of amenities. We were carrying on and could deal with bringing or purchasing our own food, and I didn't think they were in danger of going out of business.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I did research them when we booked the tickets (July 2018), but all the negative stories we read at that time were about lost luggage and lack of amenities. We were carrying on and could deal with bringing or purchasing our own food, and I didn't think they were in danger of going out of business.
Wow Air Filed Bankruptcy last night, actually had a plane Repossessed yesterday (or day before). It’s highly unlikely you will get any money from WOW. Sorry :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wow Air Filed Bankruptcy last night, actually had a plane Repossessed yesterday (or day before). It’s highly unlikely you will get any money from WOW. Sorry :(
They totally closed down, not just filed. Alitalia has been working in bankruptcy for years - not so with WOW - they filed a different type of bankruptcy.
They had financial problems before July - the travel industry was aware of these. In November they hoped someone would buy them and that fell through. Norwegian Air is another one that I wouldn't put anyone one either.

Sep 19, 2015
Ultra low cost transcontinental airlines have not been sustainable. Simply put it selling $99 transatlantic fares and hoping to make money on fees does not work— selling tickets below costs means the airline never posts a profit.

Those low cost fares from WOW were subsidized by the lenders and bond holders. And sooner or later the borrowed money runs out and no one will lend any more.

And now the fight for what ever money is left will start. WOW owes money for aircraft leases, landing fees, rent, employees

WOW owes Isavia, operators of the airline and a government entity over $15 million which is basically saying it owes the government and taxpayers that much. So little hope of getting paid.

Airlines like WOW give consumers unrealistic expectations of very low transatlantic fares — look at what has disappeared recently — Air Berlin, Primera, WOW.....

I would not even bother to file for the EU 261 — likely be the lowest priority unsecured debt.

Sep 19, 2015
She already filed but they never paid her. And that’s why. There was no money to pay her.
the money ran out and no one was willing to invest or even loan more— throwing good money after bad money is never a good ide.

Thousands are stranded, others have upcoming worthless tickets, and a thousand people out of work. So it is a bad situation but not a surprising one.

Sep 19, 2015
She already filed but they never paid her. And that’s why. There was no money to pay her.
Yes I should have clarified that I would not bother to file with the Icelandic bankruptcy court the claim for payment for the approved EU 261 claim — as I suspect there is so little cash on hand and very few assets that there is very little chance of getting anything from it.