WOW Airlines: Checked Luggage Fees

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 5, 2018
In Feb. 2018, I booked 2 round trip flights to Berlin, Germany for me & my wife for a military veterans reunion leaving Aug. 4th, on WOW Airlines through the on-line agency," CheapOair". I saw nothing indicating checked luggage fees. I recently found out there is a $79.99 fee for each piece of checked luggage each way in advance. If paid at check in, fees are even more. Had this information been disclosed from the beginning, we would have been able to make a more informed decision. On June 13, I emailed both the CEO & Director of Communications of WOW (which I obtained from your website) explaining the situation & as of this date, I've had no response. I respectfully requested they consider making some accommodation to the cost of my luggage fees. I also emailed you with a copy of the WOW email as an attachment. I am frustrated at not receiving an answer to my email.

Mar 14, 2018
Since CheapoAir is the company that described/sold the tickets, I think your issue is with them. You may wish to try writing them to ask for consideration.

However, I looked at the "Review Trip" page on CheapoAir that is displayed immediately after you select your flights. Under the flights, there is a link called "Baggage Fees" that discloses what each bag will cost. (Wow may also charge for carryon bags in case you didn't see that.) On the same page, there is a section called "Add Baggage Now, Save Time and Money! (Optional)" that shows the price for the first checked bag.

Wow's website is also pretty explicit on what is included and what is extra with each fare if you look at the "Travel Info" section.

Both Cheapo and Wow are low cost/low service businesses (as you've seen). You could escalate your letter writing campaign to see if you get any consideration. However, since both companies disclose the fees, I think your chances are pretty slim, so you should consider how much effort it is worth.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry to say that I agree with smd. WOW is not going to Lower the baggage fee because Cheapoair puts the baggage info in a small area under the price. And I doubt cheapoair will do anything about it.

WOW is an ultra low cost airline. One has to pay for everything — seat assisgnment, food on the plane. I do not know if WOW even gives a cup of water without charging for it. So prepare yourself.

The online booking engines are not travel agents, and as long as the info is there, even in small print, they are off the hook.

We advise to book directly with the airlines. With the online bookings one can always blame the other.

The time to research extra fees is before buying. I hate the nickel and diming approach but others must not as otherwise these ultra low costs airlines would not exist.

I do not believe there is any reasonable hope of getting a satisfactory result.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wow charges for everything. Cheapo does show the disclaimer on the second page. Almost every discount airline charges for luggage, seats and food on the plane.

I don’t think you have a claim because you never clicked on the link. Before buying you also had to click that you read the terms and conditions.
Total Price
Fare rules & additional baggage fees may apply.(there is a link)

By clicking BOOK, I agree that I have read and accept CheapOair.com's Terms and Conditions of purchase.

Dec 26, 2014
This illustrates the impact of thinking "one-click" purchases are simple and easy for the DIY types using the internet to book travel. You cannot make a good selection based on a fare you may see on a web page. There are multiple flight search engines that can give you an idea of what airlines go where and when you need to go, but your "job" is not over yet. You really need to go to each airline's web site and read through all the conditions and choices of fares the airline has to offer. Once you do that, you can then make a selection that suits you best. Do you want to sit in a specific area of the plane? Do you want to sit next to someone? Do you want to bring a carry on the flight? What happens if you have to cancel? What happens if you need to change the dates of travel? What happens if the airline cancels a flight? Because all that information IS there, it is on US to do our research - or - use a professional TA that knows these answers and can advise on what would work best for you and your situation and save you lots of time.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This illustrates the impact of thinking "one-click" purchases are simple and easy for the DIY types using the internet to book travel. You cannot make a good selection based on a fare you may see on a web page. There are multiple flight search engines that can give you an idea of what airlines go where and when you need to go, but your "job" is not over yet. You really need to go to each airline's web site and read through all the conditions and choices of fares the airline has to offer. Once you do that, you can then make a selection that suits you best. Do you want to sit in a specific area of the plane? Do you want to sit next to someone? Do you want to bring a carry on the flight? What happens if you have to cancel? What happens if you need to change the dates of travel? What happens if the airline cancels a flight? Because all that information IS there, it is on US to do our research - or - use a professional TA that knows these answers and can advise on what would work best for you and your situation and save you lots of time.
I wish I had the ability to love this post. We have so many complaints here on WOW and their cancellations and how they may not be able to get clients rebooked for days if a flight is canceled.

People need to do research instead of searching just for price. Those low prices often have drawbacks and this is a perfect example. I hope our writers flight goes well or the cost of the bags is just the tip of the iceberg of the flight is canceled or delayed.

Feb 21, 2018
I wish I had the ability to love this post. We have so many complaints here on WOW and their cancellations and how they may not be able to get clients rebooked for days if a flight is canceled.

People need to do research instead of searching just for price. Those low prices often have drawbacks and this is a perfect example. I hope our writers flight goes well or the cost of the bags is just the tip of the iceberg of the flight is canceled or delayed.
''Cheap can be very expensive"....

One of my favorite sayings.

Dec 26, 2014

I travel for work (+75k/year) and must use our online corporate TA for my bookings. It takes me a bit of time to book most of my flights as they are not always to the same place. I check first with my home choice of airline due to having high status there to see what options I have using that airline. Using that airline saves me cancellation fees, baggage fees, provides much better free seating choices, potential upgrades, and on the same day of a flight I have no increase in airfare for switching to later/earlier flights typically. I also look for what time I depart and what time I land. Then I check for the times I want to the specific destinations I want with the Corp TA site. But, I am not done yet. How far will I have to drive to a hotel, is there parking? What about restaurants within walking distance. What happens if I fly to an alternate airport - is the slightly longer drive worth it? Can the project be switched to a different day to take advantage of the much lower costs of the rooms in hotels and cost of flight? (check out the prices of business class hotels in the Bay Area during the week!) I do not book on the very low cost carriers due to not being able to get to the project on time if there is a cancellation. I read forums such as this and learn a great deal about travel from places like this.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My colleagues have given you a great education, Richard. Travellers seem to be lulled into the idea that booking travel on the internet is easy, and you should always go for the cheapest anything. So sad. My sympathies with this very painful learning experience.