Worried: shorten 1st name on ticket different from passport

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 12, 2019
I booked a ticket on Expedia, traveling from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Athens, Greece on July 19th. I purchased the ticket in May. It was just brought to my attention that my name needs to be identical to my passport. I just checked my ticket on my Expedia account. My name on the ticket is "Mike", my name on my passport is Michael. I called Expedia to ask if they can change my first name to Michael to match my passport. The rep told me I would have to pay a $25 change name fee plus I would have to purchase a new ticket which is a $700 more than the ticket I have now and they will refund my old ticket. I told the rep I could not afford another $700. I rarely travel. Let alone out of the country. I never imagined a simple task such as changing the first name would turn into a major ordeal.
I have been researching online about this issue from other travelers. Some traveled with no issue at all, some were denied boarding their flights, and some had the issue resolved at a minimal or no cost.
Now I am worried about my trip to Greece. I am not sure what to do. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help or guidance with this matter.

Michael
Ft.Lauderdale, Florida

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You need to change the ticket and the sooner the better. You must always book your tickets exactly as your passport reads.

You could have changed it within 24 hours at no fee. To change the name, it’s exactly as Expedia told you- you to cancel and repurchase the ticket at current prices and with both Expedia’s and the airlines cancellation fees.

A minor change such as adding a Jr. or a missing letter could be added to the reservation but not a name change like you need.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I booked a ticket on Expedia, traveling from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Athens, Greece on July 19th. I purchased the ticket in May. It was just brought to my attention that my name needs to be identical to my passport. I just checked my ticket on my Expedia account. My name on the ticket is "Mike", my name on my passport is Michael. I called Expedia to ask if they can change my first name to Michael to match my passport. The rep told me I would have to pay a $25 change name fee plus I would have to purchase a new ticket which is a $700 more than the ticket I have now and they will refund my old ticket. I told the rep I could not afford another $700. I rarely travel. Let alone out of the country. I never imagined a simple task such as changing the first name would turn into a major ordeal.
I have been researching online about this issue from other travelers. Some traveled with no issue at all, some were denied boarding their flights, and some had the issue resolved at a minimal or no cost.
Now I am worried about my trip to Greece. I am not sure what to do. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help or guidance with this matter.

Michael
Ft.Lauderdale, Florida
If you try to check in for your flight with this current name on the ticket and your passport you will not be allowed to fly.
You need to change either the ticket or your passport (the passport is cheaper).

May 1, 2018
What an outrageous policy - needing a new ticket for a name change. I would try calling again to see if a different agent gives you better options.
This is one of those policies that came about due to unscrupulous people abusing the system and ruining it for all of us. Name changes used to be allowed, but people would try to resell nonrefundable tickets and then call up the airline and request a name change to the buyer's name, but cite a mistake. Of course the airlines caught on and closed that loophole, but now it also punishes average people who really did make a mistake.

Sep 19, 2015

Michael
Ft.Lauderdale, Florida
Have you tried approaching it as a name correction rather than a name change.

Not a fan of Expedia, but they do have this warning when booking a flight

Who's traveling?

Traveler names must match government-issued photo ID exactly.

You risk being denied boarding.

Jun 12, 2019
Have you tried approaching it as a name correction rather than a name change.

Not a fan of Expedia, but they do have this warning when booking a flight

Who's traveling?

Traveler names must match government-issued photo ID exactly.

You risk being denied boarding.
I haven't tried asking for a name correction. That is a good idea... Thank you

Jun 12, 2019
I appreciate all the responses. My friend knows a travel agent. She said the agent will look into the situation for me. If they are unable to do anything I was thinking about taking my passport and ticket to the airport and speaking to each agent from American Airlines, Finnair, and Iberia personally. If that does not work then I call Expedia again, and hope I get a agent that is willing to help make the correction without me having to purchase another ticket... Keeping my fingers crossed

Jun 12, 2019
You need to change the ticket and the sooner the better. You must always book your tickets exactly as your passport reads.

You could have changed it within 24 hours at no fee. To change the name, it’s exactly as Expedia told you- you to cancel and repurchase the ticket at current prices and with both Expedia’s and the airlines cancellation fees.

A minor change such as adding a Jr. or a missing letter could be added to the reservation but not a name change like you need.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I appreciate your response. It was an oversight on my part. I was rushing to book the ticket because they only a couple of seats left on the flight. Then add the fact that this is my first time booking a flight abroad. So, it never dawned on me that my name had to be exactly as my passport. I will try a few other options. If they do not work then I will have to find a way to come up with the extra money for a new ticket smh... Thanks again

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I appreciate all the responses. My friend knows a travel agent. She said the agent will look into the situation for me. If they are unable to do anything I was thinking about taking my passport and ticket to the airport and speaking to each agent from American Airlines, Finnair, and Iberia personally. If that does not work then I call Expedia again, and hope I get a agent that is willing to help make the correction without me having to purchase another ticket... Keeping my fingers crossed
They cannot let you on the plane with the ticket the way it is. It’s TSA, not the airline. It isn’t up to the airline. And the country you are flying to requires the name be the same as your passport.

If you have other documents in the legal name of Mike it would be cheaper to change your passport name

When you book the ticket it tells you when you are booking the ticket name must match your legal documents.

I have said it a million times- just because you can book your own tickets doesn’t mean you should. You act as your own travel agent and need to know as much as a travel agent does about the rules of booking a ticket. Otherwise- spend a little extra and use a travel agent. It’s cheaper then buying a new ticket.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you try to do this at the airport you will not be allowed to board. As much as you wish it were not so, if your passport and ticketed name are not the same you cannot board. So if you can change your passport that will be less expensive than changing your ticket. If you do not have documents that allow you to change your passport you have no option other than to get the ticket redone. What you have been told by Expedia is the policy they will enforce.
Also if by some chance you were allowed to board one flight, you likely would be denied boarding on another flight and might find yourself stuck in Greece and needing to buy a one-way walk-up ticket. This could easily cost you FAR more than the cost of changing the ticket you have (as in costing $1000-2000 one way).

Jul 13, 2016
Paying a travel agent to book an airline that can be easily bought with a few clicks of your mouse seems like a waste of money--until this happens. Especially for international tickets! There are so many rules that seem to make no sense to the infrequent traveler. Rules that seem crazy, stupid, unfair, or downright money-grabbing. But they are the rules and fliers have to abide by them.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry, Mike. I don't know how you'd change your passport to Mike if Michael is your legal name. "Everyone" says that this airline policy is in place to prevent cheating. I absolutely disagree. Correcting Mike to Michael is just that, a correction. The airlines are making millions on fees, it's disgusting. They just can't be bothered to devote a little time to helping their customers. Their share price might go down a point if they had to hire people to take care of these kinds of (innocent) issues.

Jun 12, 2019
They cannot let you on the plane with the ticket the way it is. It’s TSA, not the airline. It isn’t up to the airline. And the country you are flying to requires the name be the same as your passport.

If you have other documents in the legal name of Mike it would be cheaper to change your passport name

When you book the ticket it tells you when you are booking the ticket name must match your legal documents.

I have said it a million times- just because you can book your own tickets doesn’t mean you should. You act as your own travel agent and need to know as much as a travel agent does about the rules of booking a ticket. Otherwise- spend a little extra and use a travel agent. It’s cheaper then buying a new ticket.
I fly out July 19th. I was going to the airport tomorrow to see if the ticket agents could correct my name on my ticket, in their system. I figured it is worth the try. My middle name and last name are correct on the ticket. I just need to correct my first name. If they can not correct my name at the counter then I will call Expedia to purchase another ticket.
I definitely learned a valuable lesson. I did not think to use a travel agent because I rarely travel anywhere by plane. I traveled out of the country twice but the girlfriend I was with at the time booked the tickets. I appreciate your response.

Jun 12, 2019
Paying a travel agent to book an airline that can be easily bought with a few clicks of your mouse seems like a waste of money--until this happens. Especially for international tickets! There are so many rules that seem to make no sense to the infrequent traveler. Rules that seem crazy, stupid, unfair, or downright money-grabbing. But they are the rules and fliers have to abide by them.
I never imagined a simple task of changing my first name would be a major issue. It does seem like a ridicules money grab. You live and learn. I definitely learned on this one. Thanks for the response

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I fly out July 19th. I was going to the airport tomorrow to see if the ticket agents could correct my name on my ticket, in their system. I figured it is worth the try. My middle name and last name are correct on the ticket. I just need to correct my first name. If they can not correct my name at the counter then I will call Expedia to purchase another ticket.
I definitely learned a valuable lesson. I did not think to use a travel agent because I rarely travel anywhere by plane. I traveled out of the country twice but the girlfriend I was with at the time booked the tickets. I appreciate your response.
I agree with you going to the airport and giving it a try tomorrow. You never know - the worst that can happen is they can't help the best if that you get an agent who can help you out. You have absolutely nothing to lose. Let us know how you make out - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Jun 12, 2019
I agree with you going to the airport and giving it a try tomorrow. You never know - the worst that can happen is they can't help the best if that you get an agent who can help you out. You have absolutely nothing to lose. Let us know how you make out - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
I will definitely keep you all posted.. Thank you Neil