WorldMark Timeshare Exit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2019
In 2000 my wife and I bought a WorldMark timeshare. We used it extensively until we divorced in 2009. In the divorce settlement she was to get full ownership of the timeshare, and was required to remove my name from the title. After the divorce she used the timeshare constantly.

She died last May, and 6 months later I was presented with a bill for two quarters worth of past due maintenance fees, because it turned out my name was still on the title. In addition, her name was also still on the title because originally she signed it using her married name. Her estate administrator had sent a copy of her death certificate but WorldMark refused to accept it because she have gone back to her maiden name after the divorce.

I sent them a copy of the divorce decree and settlement in which it clearly stated that she was legally using her maiden name and was to take me off the contract. WorldMark ignored that. Now I'm stuck with a timeshare I can't afford, and have no interest in using. I have no idea how to handle this. Any ideas?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
In 2000 my wife and I bought a WorldMark timeshare. We used it extensively until we divorced in 2009. In the divorce settlement she was to get full ownership of the timeshare, and was required to remove my name from the title. After the divorce she used the timeshare constantly.

She died last May, and 6 months later I was presented with a bill for two quarters worth of past due maintenance fees, because it turned out my name was still on the title. In addition, her name was also still on the title because originally she signed it using her married name. Her estate administrator had sent a copy of her death certificate but WorldMark refused to accept it because she have gone back to her maiden name after the divorce.

I sent them a copy of the divorce decree and settlement in which it clearly stated that she was legally using her maiden name and was to take me off the contract. WorldMark ignored that. Now I'm stuck with a timeshare I can't afford, and have no interest in using. I have no idea how to handle this. Any ideas?
Read this:
https://www.elliott.org/blog/can-you-get-out-of-a-timeshare/
You will also probably need an attorney.

Jan 17, 2019
From what I've read online, it would be a 50% chance I'd lose anyway. And based on my experience with WorldMark recently I'd end up paying their attorney fees as well.

Of course, that makes me wonder what they're going to do when I die. I have no children they can harrass. Will they bill my estate in perpetuity?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

You should really start your own thread since this is someone else's post about a totally different company and a totally different issue.

Have you tried to sell the time share on the resale market?

Mar 14, 2018
You need to consult with an attorney. They are the only ones that can advise you what to do here.

You should definitely consult with an attorney.

Because of the divorce decree, your ex-wife is responsible for the costs of the timeshare. Since she didn't remove you, you will need to make a claim against her estate. This should be done as soon as possible.

Jan 15, 2018
WorldMark timeshares have some value, even in resale. They are worth 30-40 cents per point so a 10,000 point account should be worth $3,000-4,000. You may want to search for Timeshare Users Group or World Mark Owners to get more info on the value and how to sell this timeshare.

Oct 4, 2018
Ok, I'm not an attorney, but speaking from a similar situation..... My ex-husband and I purchased a timeshare 30 years ago. When we divorced after just 3 years, he had the better attorney and I got stuck with the timeshare - that was still severely encumbered. The divorce agreement stated he would file a quit claim and I would take over the debt. (I was making $9/hr at the time living in So Cal. ) The thing to remember though, is a quit claim only releases your interest in the property - not the debt! I want to get rid of this burden so bad and have literally spent 100's of hours over the last 3 decades trying to do so with no luck - made more difficult by the fact that he never filed the quit claim - despite the fact that it has been paid off for over 20 years. I even tried GIVING it back to the company and they refused it. I finally just stopped paying the maintenance fees. Unfortunately, his credit is in the dumps and mine is over 800, so I am the one who will be hurt by it and the one who they will continue to pursue for payment. It would seem that the proper way to handle this in a divorce is to make the responsible party refinance in their own name. They probably don't do that because they know (at least in my case) that I never in a million years would have been approved to finance alone.

Sep 19, 2015
I am going to just speak on the experience of friends with divorces -- but not with time shares. A and B get a divorce. Car with a joint loan is awarded to B. Unless papers are filed to get A off the loan and ownership, the loan company does not have to pay attention to the divorce decree. Good lawyers would make sure that all the paper work is done so that there are no problems -- such as B defaulting on the loan and A having to deal with the finance company.

With the death of one of the parties it is even more problematic.

As for a time share and heirs -- the person with a time share should consult an estate planning attorney. No heir has to take the time share -- but an attorney should be consulted about what it means for the owner and the estate.

At this point I agree that legal advice is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.