Will trip insurance cover a refund in the event of a change in cruise destination

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 8, 2017
I am worried about a planned cruise to Cuba in the Spring. If for any political reason we are not allowed to stop in Cuba can we get a refund through our trip insurance for the whole cruise. We are not interested in cruising the Caribbean for this money - only to visit Cuba. I can’t get an answer from our travel company - they just give me platitudes about not worrying - it is unlikely that anything will happen etc. etc.

Feb 9, 2016
I am worried about a planned cruise to Cuba in the Spring. If for any political reason we are not allowed to stop in Cuba can we get a refund through our trip insurance for the whole cruise. We are not interested in cruising the Caribbean for this money - only to visit Cuba. I can’t get an answer from our travel company - they just give me platitudes about not worrying - it is unlikely that anything will happen etc. etc.
The simple answer is that, when you all to inquire about trip insurance, ask that specific question and ask what insurance you need to purchase to be covered in that situation.

R

Realitoes

If you purchased travel insurance off the shelf, then it is very unlikely you will receive a full refund for this reason.

Cruise contracts normally allow them to change ports as necessary without cancelling the cruise or providing a refund. The best an off the shelf travel insurance policy may provide is a cash benefit for missed ports.

For us to know exactly what your policy covers, you would need to post a link to the policy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Traditional insurance will not cover this. Your cruise contract contains a clause that the itinerary can be changed. The only insurance that would cover you is Cancel for Any Reason which is expensive and won't reimburse you 100%.

I wouldn't worry. We have a group cruise to Cuba in May and not worried in the least that anything will be affected. Cuba issues our Visas to travel there not the US so there is no reason to worry about this.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I've read on cruise critic about policies that cover this. I think it was $1,250 per port. If you head over there and do a search on the forums, you'll likely find the post.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We just received an update on what was put into effect and it is simply two changed that do not affect cruises:

Americans now again can only travel to Cuba under "people-to-people" licenses. So once again US citizens can't travel to Cuba without being on an authorized tour. A cruise will have excursions that meet thes requirements. If you have already purchased a tour you will have a waiver to complete your trip. The new regs. stateI in the case of an individual people-to-people trip where the traveler has "already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation)" prior to the Presidents ruling such travel will be authorized.

Also, no transactions can be done with companies controlled by the Cuban military. There are hotels in Havana that are owned by the military. The companies that provide the authorized people to people tours will most likely not make any stays at these hotels.

Here is a list of the entities affected:

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/cuba/cubarestrictedlist/275331.htm

So relax- as long as the cruise lines adhere to the people to people excursions- you shouldn't have any problems.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are correct to question the details instead of just believing what you're told. Especially when you're told "not to worry" ... that is an infuriating answer. The details are in your insurance policy. If you can't get it in writing, it probably won't be covered.