Why is a landline useful?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2018
I think it is a good idea to have a land line. because it is great, when storms hit and you lose power your phone will still work, as long as it is a phone that does not have a answering machine or wireless phones as they need to have power to make them work. so just a plain old telephone is wise to have.i have Verizon home phone service plus Fios for tv and internet and cell phone, works great! I still use my home phone quite often, don't need to charge it, very secure cell's are not, plus cellphone have been proven to be a health concern, radiation from cell signal . I use both but prefer land line also not a big fan of texting its so impersonal

Feb 28, 2018
In my recent conversation with AT&T I was informed lthat in the near future AT&T will no longer install landline residential service, that existing landline accounts will be maintained, but that if I cancel our landline service it will NOT be reinstalled.. AT&T has not yet decided if it will reinstall landline service to a new address if I move. The reason I was given is that maintenance and home service calls on landline service is too costly for AT&T to continue.on new accounts.

Jan 9, 2016
I'm thinking of canceling my landline account and relying on cell phone access only. What would be important reasons to keep landline access?

Many thanks,
A few thoughts after reading the many helpful; responses. I've lived in areas prone to power failures and areas with limited cell coverage. I now rely strictly on my cell phone. I have a strong background in telcom.
1. 9-1-1 can track your location very effectively on your cell phone most of the time. The FCC has tasked the 911 systems with major improvements of their location accuracy in the very near future.
2. If you live in an area subject to hurricanes or extended power outages, buy a generator; a whole house generator if outages are frequent or a portable generator if less frequent and shorter duration If the latter, make sure to exercise it monthly.
3. Still power dependent, but you can get excellent VOIP or voice over internet for close to free. Look at the combination of a box from Obihai and a free number from Google Voice. I have this setup and used to use it extensively. Now it serves solely as a backup.
4. If you live in an area with weak cell coverage, enable "wifi calling" and your cell phone will work over your wifi. Alternatively, you may purchase a "micro cell" or "network extender" that does similar. Your cell phone work the same as it does in an area with good coverage, but your call travels back to your carrier over the internet. Both options still require power, but give you a way to keep your cell phone working even if your local cell tower goes off line.

I hope these ideas help those trying to decide about landline VS cellular.

Jun 19, 2017
New York
These days landline is not what it used to be anymore. I have Verizon FIOS triple play, which includes "landline". This landline existence in a case of a blackout is assured by a battery that should last about 8 hours.
So if that blackout is longer than that your phone line is dead... This is true for all the cable companies as well.

Mar 3, 2018
whats a land line? haven't had one for 15 yrs or so. we have the cable phone only because its cheaper to take it with the bundle package. that's the # we give at stores that need a # for some bologna reason. it rarely gets answered unless im in a mood to mess with telemarketers or throw a political pollster stats off. I was an 82 yr old Asian republican woman a few days ago

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Regarding Verizon FIOS and the battery: Anyone who has it should put a reminder on their calendar to replace the battery every couple of years. A few years ago we had a significant power outage in our area, and lo and behold - our FIOS battery was dead as a doornail. I went to the local Batteries+ store, and had to wait in line behind ten other FIOS customers who were in the same predicament. In general the FIOS wiring and battery pack is installed in the basement by the circuit breaker, so most people have no reason to check on it at all.

Jul 30, 2016
Wow. Our government doesn't "believe in" global warming, either. Research and reports by "the government" are not scientific. They are tainted by politics and influenced by business. Science attempts to establish objective knowledge.
European and Japanese reports tell otherwise, and here are a couple of latest research from the US.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/new-cellphone-and-health-studies-don-t-eliminate-uncertainty
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-studies-link-cell-phone-radiation-with-cancer/

Jul 4, 2018
I can't understand he mentality of ditching land-lines! I've held onto mine since acquiring my first "car-phone" over thirty years ago.

First and foremost, is the reliability. In case of a disaster, you may bet your sweet bippy that Ma Bell will still be there. In the aftermath of Hurricane Isabel in 2013, most of metro Annapolis-Baltimore-Washington was without cell phone service and no power (i.e. no internet = no texting = no VOIP). Yet our land-line was humming away through the entire crisis. Same phone-less and power-less situation after the Derecho of 2012, same result.

Second is the miniscule savings. I have maintained the Verizon basic phone plan for about 20 years, as a back-up to then-newly acquired Vonage VOIP phone (I didn't trust the internet's reliability). I downscoped my service to local calls only (requiring a calling card for long-distance). The rate was -- and still is: $5.00/month, plus 10 cents per outgoing call, and a $2 to $3/month taxes. Verizon credits the $5.00 against my FiOS cable bill, and I usually use cell phone for toll calls or Google Hangouts or Skype for international calls. Therefore, my land-line costs me about $3/month. Moreover, I added Google voice for a one-time fee of $20 several years ago, with no recurring charges, enabling me to receive calls in and outside my house simultaneously ringing on my land-line with about 10 extensions plus both of my cell-phones. I never give out the land-line or a cell phone number - just the Google Voice number. I answer most incoming calls, whether or not made to my land-line or a cell phone number
The added benefits and security of maintaining the land-line far outweigh the $3/month!