Why are Peugeot letting people drive dangerous cars and are aware of their own fault!!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 3, 2019
I have a Peugeot 207 (2010) I’ve always had Peugeot’s and haven’t always rated them. I was on a motorway this morning and my pier steering failed! The light came on and I lost all steering. I had my three young children in the car one being 10 days old! I was so frightened. I had to call for assistance and was taken To my local garage. All of the electrics were checked and no faults found on the diagnostic test as the light had gone off after restarting the car. I paid £113.00 only to get the car home and the fault to occur the next day, then again two days after that. I called my garage and I’m told it’s the pump £800 !! I don’t have £80 let alone £800 the garage told me it’s a common recognised fault with my model and that the internet is filled with other people with the same problem, I looked and there are hundreds! Most are getting the work done at their local garage for free. I then contacted Peugeot and explained my issue. I explained I had a full service history, had the cam belt changed at recommended mileage and my car has done 50000 miles in total. I was told there was nothing they can do! So I called and they have said I need to get the car to a recognised garage to have another test done £90! But all repairs are at my own cost! Me and my young children could have been killed! I am prepared to take this all the way! Hundreds and hundreds of people have had the same problem! We are driving death traps! I am prepared to contact watchdog and raise a major default concern as it is morally wrong, if I had been travelling any faster than I was my partner would be burying his wife and three babies! My car is my lifeline I live rural and need my car to get shopping and my children to childcare so I can work!

Sent from my iPhone

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
A very scary situation. Since your vehicle is more than 8 years old, I'm not sure where you want to go with this. When an older car has mechanical problems, they need to be repaired. The manufacturer isn't responsible for repairs to a car that old. If you feel that Peugeot has sold vehicles that are not safe, and is aware of that, your local ombudsman is probably the way to get some kind of grass-roots campaign started. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Sep 19, 2015
Have their been many reported deaths from power steering failures from the car? Of the roughly 1800 traffic fatalities last year in the UK how many were in Peugeots? Have you reported it to driver and vehicle standards? Saying “We could have been killed” does not help you in trying to get the car repaired. I could have been killed many times today (ok I jaywalked) but it did not happen.

Have you asked Peugeot if this is covered under an extended warranty?

Take out all the emotions and words about burying people, death traps (this is no Ford Pinto), children could have been killed, and politely ask Peugeot to cover the repair; this tactic has worked for people in the Peugeot forum.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m sorry this happened and I can imagine how scared you must have been and an happy you and your children weren’t hurt.

However, when something goes wrong with a car, it often happens as we are driving driving. Tires blow out, engines malfunction- it doesn’t often happen when you are sitting in your driveway.

Unless you have an extended warranty on a
eight year old car, thr manufacturer has no obligation to provide free repairs. While you might find others this has happened to, if are weren’t recalled, there is little you can do except fix it. Many of us can’t afford repairs but sooner or later every car needs them and if you have an eight year old car and haven’t needed a major repair you are indeed lucky.

I’m not sure what kind of coverage you have in Europe but we have a company called AAA here in the US we can join that provides basic services, such as jumping a dead battery and towing a certain distance for free. If you have anything like that it’s well worth paying for.

If your mechanic told you about this issue and that the manufacturer is paying for the repairs, can’t he help you have the same done?

We have company contacts for Peugeot- try writing to them and see if you can get them to cover yours/

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/psa-peugeot-citroen/

Feb 3, 2019
I’m please to report that Peugeot have agreed to pay 100% of repair as it is a known fault and thousands have been recalled. A superb outcome from what was a terrifying and dangerous experience.

Feb 3, 2019
Have their been many reported deaths from power steering failures from the car? Of the roughly 1800 traffic fatalities last year in the UK how many were in Peugeots? Have you reported it to driver and vehicle standards? Saying “We could have been killed” does not help you in trying to get the car repaired. I could have been killed many times today (ok I jaywalked) but it did not happen.

Have you asked Peugeot if this is covered under an extended warranty?

Take out all the emotions and words about burying people, death traps (this is no Ford Pinto), children could have been killed, and politely ask Peugeot to cover the repair; this tactic has worked for people in the Peugeot forum.
Yes it has been reported and I have since received an email from Peugeot offering 100% of the repair as it is a DVLA known recall. The power steering failure is very dangerous when driving over 50 miles an hour and full steering lock on a motorway could kill especially if you have to make a turn!
Thankfully my children and I are safe and Peugeot have apologised sincerely

Sep 19, 2015
I’m please to report that Peugeot have agreed to pay 100% of repair as it is a known fault and thousands have been recalled. A superb outcome from what was a terrifying and dangerous experience.

Donna that is very good news. People on the Peugoet forum had mentioned similar success with the same problem.