Who is responsible for refund of and Microsoft XBOX Gift Card?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 28, 2018
I purchase a XBOX LIVE gift card with a face value of $59.99 at ALDI as a Christmas gift. I should have purchased a PLAY STATION Plus gift card.

When I returned to ALDI on December 26, I was told that gift cards cannot be returned because ADLI has a no return, no refund policy for gift cards. Which was not on the display, their receipt, the gift receipt or the back of the Microsoft XBOX LIVE gift card. I was offered a $10 ALDI gift card for my inconvenience. An offer I rejected but I did make a counter of $60 ALDI gift card in exchange for the Microsoft XBOX LIVE gift card. The ALDI Customer Service Representative declined my offer. As of today I have spoke with five (5) ALDI Customer Service Representatives who all quoted the company policy and gave me an insincere apology.

Microsoft says I have to take the card back to the retailer where I purchased it because they have no refund mechanism in the supply chain. A retailer purchases a block of their XBOX LIVE gift cards and is ultimately responsible for customer satisfaction. As of today I have spoke with three (3) Microsoft Customer Service Representatives who all quoted the company policy and gave me an insincere apology.

Microsoft has been paid a share of the $59.99 face value. ALDI has been paid a share of the $59.99 face value. I have a XBOX LIVE gift card which cannot be used, refunded, returned or exchanged. What a wonderful way to do business.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Purchase of these type of gift cards are always non refundable - they are the same as using cash. My wife just dropped two gift cards for PlayStation getting into the car and they would not provide a refund or even stop the card - the money was lost. What you can do is go to one of the online places that allows you to re-sell the cards and try and sell if for a little less than face value. The back of the card does say it is not redeemable for cash - that means no exchanges.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Once the card is Activated at the register you cant return it. The Store who sold it can’t inactivate the card. Sorry

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
or you could ask around your friends/relatives (even a Facebook post) and see who has Xbox Live. Then either give it to them or sell it at a discount to them (better than dealing with the online gift-card selling websites).
This is the PERFECT answer to this situation!

Mar 23, 2015
There is so much gift card fraud occurring every day, that NO retailer will take back gift cards for any reason. There is simply no way to "block" you from using the number from that card after returning it. XBOX is ubiquitous. I guarantee you know someone who can use it and will either buy it from you, or hold onto it until Easter or a birthday etc... and it will make a nice present.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There is so much gift card fraud occurring every day, that NO retailer will take back gift cards for any reason. There is simply no way to "block" you from using the number from that card after returning it. XBOX is ubiquitous. I guarantee you know someone who can use it and will either buy it from you, or hold onto it until Easter or a birthday etc... and it will make a nice present.
Exactly what I was going to say, Mel. Gift Card fraud is rampant ... just have a look on these forums and you'll read dozens of stories. There's no way anyone is going to help because you purchased the wrong kind of card. I'm sorry but I think my colleagues have given you some great ideas so you really don't lose all your money.