Where to keep passport when traveling

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 4, 2017
Yes, a cross-body bag with zipper is the way to go. For the truly paranoid, there are bags that have a cable built into the strap, making them cut-proof.
perhaps take a peek at my earlier reply about this. something I learned from that experienced emergency room nurse who's seen what she's seen. I never even thought about wearing things cross-body as a potential problem, but now I know!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't think that anything a traveller does to protect valuables could ever be considered paranoid ... I call it PREPARED. My bottom line is always to avoid wasting even 5 minutes of my travel time replacing lost clothing or personal care items or serious valuables like passports.

With my travel vest, Sierrarose, I just sling on a pretty scarf and pretend that I'm the height of fashion. My old vest was so well made that it was heavy and always too hot, so I rarely wore it. But I got a much lighter-weight one (in an uber-fashionable beige) that I'm looking forward to using next week.

Jun 27, 2017
I don't think that anything a traveller does to protect valuables could ever be considered paranoid ... I call it PREPARED. My bottom line is always to avoid wasting even 5 minutes of my travel time replacing lost clothing or personal care items or serious valuables like passports.

With my travel vest, Sierrarose, I just sling on a pretty scarf and pretend that I'm the height of fashion. My old vest was so well made that it was heavy and always too hot, so I rarely wore it. But I got a much lighter-weight one (in an uber-fashionable beige) that I'm looking forward to using next week.
I agree there's a difference between being paranoid and being prepared. And same here about the travel vests. I have scarves to go with each of my travel vests ... 2 are lightweight; 1 is a heavier microfiber. For me, they work so well at keeping my hands free.

I usually carry my passport and cash in an around-the-neck pouch, under my jacket or shirt. A few years ago I bought my wife a scarf that has a couple of secret zipper pockets and can be configured in several ways, depending on what she's wearing. She can keep her passport, cash and a couple of credit cards in it. This particular scarf was from "Sholdit" but you can google "travel scarf" and find a few others.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This has turned into an interesting thread. Who knew there are so many ways to hide your passport!

Kendra does make a good point about making sure you don’t damage your passport while traveling. It can make you passport useless.

They have RFID covers you can buy to out your passport in to keep it from being damaged before putting it anywhere to carry it.

Sep 19, 2015
One thing for the OP to think about — Italy has had very hot summers in the past few years— in the 90s and higher for days at a time. And many venues are not as air conditioned as they are in the US. So one should look for weather appropriate methods and those that protect the passport.

Nov 12, 2016
I would suggest you find out about the rules in Italy regarding ID if stopped.
For example in Panama you must carry your passport with you, if caught driving without your PP your vehicle will be towed and you are responsible for any fees associated, and you will be detained until someone brings your PP. Sometimes they will accept a photo(not always), but make sure you also take a picture of the entry stamp.

Oct 30, 2015
North Laurasia
Having lived in Europe while in the Army for several years, I learned to keep my important documents close to my chest...literally. I had a 'neck safe' (never thought it had a name) and kept my passport, driver's license, large bills, etc, in that. What was in my pocket was literally pocket change. Mind you, this was before euros, so I am dating myself.
The most important thing..well things..is one, situational awareness. Keep an eye on your surroundings and the people around you. Put your smart phone away, keep your eyes up and moving. Trust your gut. It if tells you something or someone isn't right, you're probably correct. One time my husband and I were sitting on a marktplatz bench in downtown Munich and were approached by two young men. One was an ex-pat American, I had a feeling he'd been kicked out of the military and was in Germany illegally. His German partner in crime never said a word, but never took his eyes off me. I got the distinct feeling he was trying to figure out where my wallet was. The American struck up a conversation with my husband, trying very, very hard to get us both to stand up and 'follow' him to a 'really cool club'. We kept our backs to each other and refused to stand up. That's when I noticed '''my'' watcher had a thin bladed knife concealed on his forearm...you could just barely see the handle, but it was definitely a knife. Finally the ex-pat began to cuss us out because we just weren't falling for his come on, and left when we asked him did he want to explain why he was bothering us to polizei??
Stay out of crowds if you can help it.
Keep an eye on each other.

Two: ladies...ditch the purse. Sorry. It's thief bait. You can live without it. Trust me.

Three..don't dress like a tourist. Do NOT wear anything that has a sports team name or logo,, or an American flag, don't wear your cowboy hat or a John Deere baseball cap, especially don't wear it backwards, etc. We Yanks used to be dubbed the 'white shoe people' because back then, soft shoes were almost always white, like tennis shoes, etc. They could pick us out of a crowd in a minute.

I like the idea of the travel vest, even though, as one poster mentioned, it probably does scream tourist...but at least it screams tourist who is going to be a very hard victim to prey on.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I use a very small crossbody bag and keep it inside a coat or jacket. I only put $, passport, valuable items in it and take care when opening it or exposing it to others. I carry my lipstick, tissue and a Tylenol in my pockets.