Where to buy tickets at the Sambodromo to the carnival in Rio 2016

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2015
I am having some difficulty finding reliable websites to purchase tickets for Monday February 8, 2016 Carnival in Rio at the Sambodromo . I am interested in the lower box seating area ( Frisas ) for a family of 3 (two adults and child age 10.) should I purchase the round trip transportation offered or can I arrange transportation once I get there since there seems to be an added $90.00 or so per person . I am getting nervous as the time nears and I have not secured my tickets yet.
Please help!!!
Kevin

Aug 28, 2015
New York
This sounds like something a travel agent will be perfect for. I'm sure someone here who knows about Brazil could be more helpful. It is good you are skeptical of the online options available. If you have a reference for a local agent, that would probably be super valuable.

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado
As someone who was at Carnival in 2015 I can add some advice.

#1 MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A VISA TO GET INTO BRAZIL!!!
You must get it ahead of time, and there are some good services out there that will get it for you if you do not live in a city that has a Brazilian consulate.
I went there with a friend who purchased the tickets. A quick google search using Carnival 2016 and Rio lead me to a site where you could purchase tickets.
We had to pick up our tickets across town from the actual parade grounds themselves. We did that they day of.
I sat in the odd section while I was there, section 9. It was near the middle of the band stand. It was an amazing experience that goes well into the night around 4 am. At least in the section that I was in (and most others) you are sitting on a concrete bench. So if you have some seat cushions, I would highly recommend bringing them with you.
Rio has some very good public transit. I was easily able to take the subway and the bus everywhere I needed to go. So I do not think that you will need to arrange transit when you get there, unless you are staying far away. Plus it will be hard to find your ride after you leave, especially if you do not stay for the whole thing. One thing that you may want to do is talk to your hotel when you get there.

Feb 17, 2015
As someone who was at Carnival in 2015 I can add some advice.

#1 MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A VISA TO GET INTO BRAZIL!!!
You must get it ahead of time, and there are some good services out there that will get it for you if you do not live in a city that has a Brazilian consulate.
I went there with a friend who purchased the tickets. A quick google search using Carnival 2016 and Rio lead me to a site where you could purchase tickets.
We had to pick up our tickets across town from the actual parade grounds themselves. We did that they day of.
I sat in the odd section while I was there, section 9. It was near the middle of the band stand. It was an amazing experience that goes well into the night around 4 am. At least in the section that I was in (and most others) you are sitting on a concrete bench. So if you have some seat cushions, I would highly recommend bringing them with you.
Rio has some very good public transit. I was easily able to take the subway and the bus everywhere I needed to go. So I do not think that you will need to arrange transit when you get there, unless you are staying far away. Plus it will be hard to find your ride after you leave, especially if you do not stay for the whole thing. One thing that you may want to do is talk to your hotel when you get there.

Feb 17, 2015
Thank you so much for your insight and first hand experience. Were you able to appreciate the parade well from section 9, or do you feel it would be a good investment in purchasing seats on the lower level they call Frisas ?

Feb 17, 2015
This sounds like something a travel agent will be perfect for. I'm sure someone here who knows about Brazil could be more helpful. It is good you are skeptical of the online options available. If you have a reference for a local agent, that would probably be super valuable.
Thank you AAGK. I will follow your advice.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
on the only topic i have experience with
purchase the round trip transportation offered or can I arrange transportation once I get there since there seems to be an added $90.00 or so per person
do not do that, or if you do, looks at ALL the fine print to see what you need to bring to prove you have a reservation. Some shuttles are easier then others, but i will never forget the time i prepaid for a reservation and the shuttle said they have no computer logs and I must have a screen cap AND and emailed receipt- but don't worry I can call their hotline and ask their tech support for help. Needless to say I let them keep my $50 and walked to the next shuttle station to pay $65.
My advise would be to seek out a taxi (early, in the day, as taxis will be scarce as the event approaches) and make a day of hanging out around the venue.

Feb 17, 2015
on the only topic i have experience with

do not do that, or if you do, looks at ALL the fine print to see what you need to bring to prove you have a reservation. Some shuttles are easier then others, but i will never forget the time i prepaid for a reservation and the shuttle said they have no computer logs and I must have a screen cap AND and emailed receipt- but don't worry I can call their hotline and ask their tech support for help. Needless to say I let them keep my $50 and walked to the next shuttle station to pay $65.
My advise would be to seek out a taxi (early, in the day, as taxis will be scarce as the event approaches) and make a day of hanging out around the venue.
Thank you

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado
Thank you so much for your insight and first hand experience. Were you able to appreciate the parade well from section 9, or do you feel it would be a good investment in purchasing seats on the lower level they call Frisas ?
I enjoyed it from section 9. It allowed me to be a bit higher and enjoy everything. I feel that I would have missed things, had I been at "field level"

(attached photos were taken from my camera phone)

Attachments