What is not covered: • One-way travel that does not have a return destination.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2018
This past March I booked a trip from my hometown in Virginia to Paris. The trip included visits to Malta, Sicily, and mainland Italy culminating in a flight from Rome to Paris thence back home. The transatlantic flight was booked as a round trip, as was the flight from my hometown to JFK (for the flight to Paris). All the other trips, CDG-MLA, MLA-PMO, PMO-NAP, ROM-CDG were booked individually in separate PNR's. The credit card used to purchase these flights has a trip interruption/cancellation benefit. In June, three weeks before departure I underwent surgery for a sudden back condition and was unable to make the trip. After contacting each airline I was denied a refund. I planned to file separate claims with the credit card company for each segment of the side trips. The first claim was denied for being one way travel without a return destination. When taken on an individual basis these flights are indeed one way with no return destination but taken in the aggregate it is clear the entire trip is indeed a round trip. I contacted American Airlines and received a very generous offer to exchange my non-refundable tickets for eVouchers, totaling close to $6,000. My question; do I have a case that my trip, even though consisting of several one way flight segments was round trip travel with a return destination? The 4 one way trips were booked on three different airlines separate and distinct from American Airlines. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sep 19, 2015
It all comes down to what the insurance policy says. As someone who has purchased inter European one way flights I understand why you booked it that way, what does the policy say

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What you booked sounds more like multi city than round trip. Round trip would be Virginia ti Paris then Paris to Virginia. If that isn't what you booed, it is multi city and if you booked separate tickets in between - they are one ways.

Where was your first flight from and to?

Jul 30, 2018
All tickets were non refundable. The trip started (would have )in southeast Virginia to NY (JFK) via AA. JFK CDG via AA. Domestic and intl segments booked in separate PNR's. Both non refundable. As mention in original post the AA segments are not involved since again, American Airlines offered a very generous resolution. CDG MLA and MLA PMO via Air Malta non refundable. CTA NAP via Easy Jet non refundable , ROM CDG via JOON non refundable. I did not have third party trip insurance. My credit card issuer, Barclay's offers Trip interruption/cancellation protection. The benefit guide wording is exactly as above. I know my argument turns on semantics, while individual flight segments were booked as one way trips the whole was a round trip. The benefit guide says "D. "What is NOT covered: One-way travel that does not have a return destination." There is no additional elaboration or qualification. Technically I booked a round trip with a destination which consisted of several one way segments. In the big scheme of things it's a couple of hundred dollars, but right is right. My question is; did I make a one way journey without a return destination. My position is I booked a round trip vacation which contained several one way segments but ultimatly a round trip with the destination being the same as the origin.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Christina's right ... the answer is in the policy offered by your credit card. That's the only thing that matters. No point in anyone second-guessing the details of the insurance. I'm sorry about your emergency back surgery, that's awful. How long do they estimate it might before you can comfortably travel?

Sep 19, 2015
All tickets were non refundable. The trip started (would have )in southeast Virginia to NY (JFK) via AA. JFK CDG via AA. Domestic and intl segments booked in separate PNR's. Both non refundable. As mention in original post the AA segments are not involved since again, American Airlines offered a very generous resolution. CDG MLA and MLA PMO via Air Malta non refundable. CTA NAP via Easy Jet non refundable , ROM CDG via JOON non refundable. I did not have third party trip insurance. My credit card issuer, Barclay's offers Trip interruption/cancellation protection. The benefit guide wording is exactly as above. I know my argument turns on semantics, while individual flight segments were booked as one way trips the whole was a round trip. The benefit guide says "D. "What is NOT covered: One-way travel that does not have a return destination." There is no additional elaboration or qualification. Technically I booked a round trip with a destination which consisted of several one way segments. In the big scheme of things it's a couple of hundred dollars, but right is right. My question is; did I make a one way journey without a return destination. My position is I booked a round trip vacation which contained several one way segments but ultimatly a round trip with the destination being the same as the origin.
Individual tickets on different carriers and different reservations are not round trip tickets; I am sorry that is a stretch, You are flying on airlines that have no relationship with each other -- such as Easyjet.

If one wants a definition of round/trip one looks at the industry definition of the term:

Here is one from Lufthansa on what a round trip ticket is; Lufthansa basis their definitions on those from IATA

Part of a journey where travel from a point/country
returns to such point/ country

Now the courts have gone as far as to resort to using the Merriam Webster dictionary to understand the meaning of a term -- the common sense and plain language approach-- so look at M W

"a ticket that allows a person to travel to one place and then return back to the place he or she left" -- notice it is a ticket, not several/

At no point were those one way tickets returning to the point of origin. You had four tickets; even though the you started in Paris and eventually ended up in Paris, there were stops in Palermo -- you did not leave from Palermo but Catania to Naples -- did not leave from Naples but from Rome to Paris. These were not on the same carriers. They were not sold as round trip tickets.

I just looked at the policy, It seems pretty clear that it only covers round trip tickets; why they have this I have no idea. But it seems to be a pretty clear exclusion.

None of these tickets returned to the point of departure.

Honestly you could try and pay a lawyer to play word games but there is often very little patience for semantic gymnastics.

Only some premium credit cards offer good travel insurance. It is important to review what is covered when deciding to not buy an individual policy.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is a perfect example of why credit card insurance is not always a good idea.

Christina has given you excellent advice. You did not book round trip flights. The insurance seems to be correct in their claim.

Jul 30, 2018
Thanks everyone and especially Christina. I knew in my heart of hearts it was a stretch. When I put the trip together the last thing in the world I considered was me getting sick. Next time I'll consider adding third party trip insurance. Chow!

Sep 19, 2015
Cgconn that is a strange restriction to have, and I often book the same way as you did. I do think that the a lot of the travel insurance benefits of non premium fee credit cards are quite limited and I got a notice from one of mine that the benefits are being diminished. I would encourage you to consider an independent policy for your next trip. I do hope you will be able to take the trip another time.