• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

What is Delta’s legal connection time domestic to international flight through ATL?

Sep 19, 2015
That is great news MButler, I am glad Gate 1 worked on your behalf to get an exception from Delta.

I would have been very uncomfortable with a connection of less than an hour at ATL— honestly I would have been nervous about the original 75 minute connection.

Reactions: VoR61 and Mbutler
Dec 19, 2014
Now that's much better. But, still curious as to who is collecting $30 and for what?

I realize that Delta has to approve the charges, but gate1 is supposed to be the OP's advocate in situations like this.

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 27, 2018
One thing I would mention that you could have used is if your 80 year old mother required wheelchair assistance that can be an asset in justifying your case that you need a longer connection time. Glad Gate 1 was able to help you.

Dec 27, 2018
Yeah, delta’s response was that you could ask for a tram, but it is on 1st come, 1st serve basis and not guaranteed- also don’t think checked luggage would have made it

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yeah, delta’s response was that you could ask for a tram, but it is on 1st come, 1st serve basis and not guaranteed- also don’t think checked luggage would have made it
If your Mom has difficulty walking you need to have that information added to your airline reservation. When it is on your reservation you get first crack at wheelchairs.

Sep 27, 2018
Note that in ATL, connections are done via a subway. Thus, they use wheel chairs which are slow, and they have to wait for the elevator. It probably adds about 15 to 20 min to a connection time compared to an able bodied passenger.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
UPDATE #2- Gate 1 just informed me that Delta waived the fare change ($1100) and only charged a nominal change fee of $30pp.!!! So happy yea Delta!
Ol' Delta's shaping up to be Airline of the Century. Delta is treating their travellers ... GASP! .... like valued customers. It's a wonderful thing. Gate 1 is disgusting to charge you that fee to fix a problem you didn't cause. Why did they charge it? Because they CAN. Grubby.

Jun 27, 2017
We recently booked 3 flights (multi-city) on Delta, all with changes in Atlanta. All flights were domestic. Several of the proposed connection times ranged from 38 minutes to 54 minutes. We know the Atlanta airport fairly well, but we're no longer fast enough to deboard one plane, find an elevator (I don't do escalators very well), get on the subway train, get to the next terminal (we've never had connecting flights in the same terminal), find an elevator, find the next gate, and stand in line to board the next flight. Usually, we spring for Delta Comfort, but it was not offered on the flights we chose when we booked. All have connection times of 2+ hours.

Reactions: FrankL183
Oct 10, 2015
I would question the introduction of MCT (minimum connection time) into the argument of whether the airline should allow the passenger a free re-change after a schedule change not to the passenger's liking. If we have to introduce the COC (contract of carriage) into the argument, the customer should argue that the "airline is not using its best efforts" when it refuses to re-accommodate a passenger at no extra charge following a schedule change. Here it would be because the customer contended that the chances of missing the connection were greatly increased by the schedule change and that alternate flights the customer hand picked would alleviate that. Would that argument hold up in a courtroom if not in the airline's headquarter's board room or in front of an agent in the room where passengers wait to board a plane?

Reactions: Patina
Sep 19, 2015
I would question the introduction of MCT (minimum connection time) into the argument of whether the airline should allow the passenger a free re-change after a schedule change not to the passenger's liking. If we have to introduce the COC (contract of carriage) into the argument, the customer should argue that the "airline is not using its best efforts" when it refuses to re-accommodate a passenger at no extra charge following a schedule change. Here it would be because the customer contended that the chances of missing the connection were greatly increased by the schedule change and that alternate flights the customer hand picked would alleviate that. Would that argument hold up in a courtroom if not in the airline's headquarter's board room or in front of an agent in the room where passengers wait to board a plane?
The Contract of Carriage for most airlines specifically mentions that the airline does not guarantee the schedule — and most airlines have a published policy of how significant a time change warrants a free change.

Saying the chances are increased before hand will not hold much, neither will arguing that the airline has to use its best efforts. So I do not think this argument would be successful anywhere — court room or board room.

The MCT is the minimum — when the airline assumes responsibility to rebook. There are people that like short connections — usually business flyers— that sit at front of cabin (economy or business/first) with only carry on and know the airport well— that do not want mandatory long connections.

I have been offered short connections at major airports such as ORD O’Hare — and there are times I could have made it in the 40 mins offered but I do not want to chance it.

The OP did the right thing here — as soon as the schedule change was noticed the OP tried to get the tickets changed. Many of the airlines are reasonable with this and I thought the OP had a good outcome— but then the airline may not budge if a 90 minute connection becomes an 85 minute connection.

Sep 27, 2018
The Contract of Carriage for most airlines specifically mentions that the airline does not guarantee the schedule — and most airlines have a published policy of how significant a time change warrants a free change.

Saying the chances are increased before hand will not hold much, neither will arguing that the airline has to use its best efforts. So I do not think this argument would be successful anywhere — court room or board room.

The MCT is the minimum — when the airline assumes responsibility to rebook. There are people that like short connections — usually business flyers— that sit at front of cabin (economy or business/first) with only carry on and know the airport well— that do not want mandatory long connections.

I have been offered short connections at major airports such as ORD O’Hare — and there are times I could have made it in the 40 mins offered but I do not want to chance it.

The OP did the right thing here — as soon as the schedule change was noticed the OP tried to get the tickets changed. Many of the airlines are reasonable with this and I thought the OP had a good outcome— but then the airline may not budge if a 90 minute connection becomes an 85 minute connection.
The circumstances of the itinerary are also important. In the OP's case a connection to a once a day flight demands being conservative because the consequences can have a impact on the trip. However, arriving on an infrequent international flight to connect to a domestic route that has several options per day I will chance a close connection, since if I miss it I have options to get home.