What are the security features in regards to reclaiming my payment if the renatal turns out to be a scam

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 11, 2018
The thing is I've been trying to rent a house here in hamilton and the person who claims to be renting it is not in Canada now I know red flag and I've requested for him to use key cafe but he has asked me if using trip advisor would be OK so really I want to know how safe iT is to use trip advisor to accquire the key in exchange for the money or vice versa say the keys are not the proper keys or this is a scam is there a way I can get the money back through trip advisor or trace the person I rented from?? Is there any security for my payment at all???
I appreciate your time thank you sincerely
Crystal little

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There really are none. That's the difference between a rental and a hotel booking. If you book through Airbnb or one of the other online booking companies, you MUST pay through the booking engine you use. If you pay outside of that you have absolutely no guarantee of where your money is going and no help getting it back. Scammers will ask you to pay them directly. Don't book without doing extensive research on the person you are renting from and book through one of the online companies - Airbnb, VRBO etc. and use their secure payment requirements.

Airbnb - Our secure platform ensures your money gets to the host—that’s why we ask you to always pay through Airbnb and never wire money or pay someone directly.

And NEVER use a debit card. If you want to guarantee you have a room - book a hotel.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
People I know who enjoy vacation rentals have a few guidelines for themselves. The rental must be payable by credit card. There needs to be many reviews of the property ... and lots of recent ones. You need to read each and every review carefully. Evaluate "the host" via their responses to your emails and/or phone calls. Follow the procedures laid out by the internet agency you are using to the letter. If you're the slightest bit concerned about "your deal", walk away immediately. Your post is difficult to understand, with no punctuation, but I think this is what you're asking.

If you do end up booking a vacation rental, make a plan B. Stay in a hotel the first night just in case ... if there are issues you have the whole next day to find alternate accommodations. Millions of people enjoy vacation rentals of every kind, you just have to be savvy and careful.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The thing is I've been trying to rent a house here in hamilton and the person who claims to be renting it is not in Canada now I know red flag and I've requested for him to use key cafe but he has asked me if using trip advisor would be OK so really I want to know how safe iT is to use trip advisor to accquire the key in exchange for the money or vice versa say the keys are not the proper keys or this is a scam is there a way I can get the money back through trip advisor or trace the person I rented from?? Is there any security for my payment at all???
I appreciate your time thank you sincerely
Crystal little
Have you actually sent money for this rental? If so, how did you send the money?