What are the options for a no-fault, unattended car accident claim in California?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 2, 2018
Anothr alternative for the difference in payment by Farmer's is to sue the driver of the other car in California small claims court (up to $10K), which the Insurance company will pay if you win.
Yes Stan, I can go to small claims court. But I don't have time to invest in all of this. I am thinking of filing a Diminishing Value Claim.

Dec 2, 2018
Maybe I over-did the stupid pills today. Let me see if I have this right. You bought a new car, insured it through GEICO. Someone insured with Farmers wrecked your new car. You gather all pertinent info at the scene of the accident and make a claim with GEICO. They deal with Farmers, Farmers makes an offer to repair or replace your vehicle (to the dollar amount as reflected in the Kelly Blue Book price). GEICO advises you. End of story. Why are you having to do anything here but wait for the adjusters to slug it out? You've paid GEICO regular premiums, now it's time for them to do their jobs. What am I missing?
@jsn55 Nobody would like to have an accident history for 5 days old car. so I just listed out all the possible options for the suggestions.
Yes, Geico is advising to repair that car, but I want it to be totaled as the repair cost($20000) is 70% of my purchase value ($25000+ tax $3000).
If the repair cost is around $10000 to $150000, It would be as simple as you mentioned.

Mar 17, 2015
I am not sure why you would be on the hook for all this, unless you are taking an abnormally long time to decide. Body shop deserves to be paid for their time and storage, but I think insurance should cover this, at least for a few days on the storage.

Nov 27, 2017
Wait a minute, you're trying to get Geico to total out your car, but you were going to sell it after you get the check? Once you agree to totaling out your car, you would no longer own the car. The insurance would. Or am I missing something?