Westin Vacation Club - Booking Discrimination

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 19, 2018
I recently received a special offer to enjoy the Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort via the Westin Vacation Club, which I am excited about taking advantage of. When I called to book my stay, I spoke with a pleasant agent who answered my questions and made me feel comfortable about booking my vacation package for my significant other and myself. I decided I was interested in reserving the package to book my stay.

However, right before I was about to pay, the agent returned to the call and told me that they cannot honor my visit because I live in the state of Tennessee. According to her, since there is no agreement between the vacation package offer and the state of Tennessee, I am therefore no longer eligible for the offer. Case closed. She then pitched me an offer for Orlando, instead. I have zero interest in this.

This entire time my address on record reflects my residence in Nashville. Furthermore, I have been a longstanding member of SPG and other loyalty programs, and am an avid traveler. Never in my life have I heard something so absurd from a company or hotel when trying to book.

Is this typical bait and switch BS by Westin Vacation club? Why can’t people who reside in Tennessee book vacation stays via an exclusive, targeted marketing offer from Westin Vacation Club?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s not bait and switch, you are being sold a timeshare and they may be illegal to be sold in Tennesee. Tennessee requires sellers to have a license to sell timeshares to residents and they may not have the license to do it.

You are going to have to sit through a time share demo when you do these things and they are going to pressure you to buy something. They lie through their teeth about what you get. If you succum to their sales tactics you may be back here asking how to get out of the expensive mistake you made.

They might have helped save you thousands of dollars. I’m not sure why you can go to a time share presentation in Orlando but not Mexico- if they do f have the right licenses you shouldn’t be able to go to either.

Westin doesn’t run these either. They farm these out to outside time share companies.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Sep 19, 2015
I recently received a special offer to enjoy the Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort via the Westin Vacation Club, which I am excited about taking advantage of. When I called to book my stay, I spoke with a pleasant agent who answered my questions and made me feel comfortable about booking my vacation package for my significant other and myself. I decided I was interested in reserving the package to book my stay.

However, right before I was about to pay, the agent returned to the call and told me that they cannot honor my visit because I live in the state of Tennessee. According to her, since there is no agreement between the vacation package offer and the state of Tennessee, I am therefore no longer eligible for the offer. Case closed. She then pitched me an offer for Orlando, instead. I have zero interest in this.

This entire time my address on record reflects my residence in Nashville. Furthermore, I have been a longstanding member of SPG and other loyalty programs, and am an avid traveler. Never in my life have I heard something so absurd from a company or hotel when trying to book.

Is this typical bait and switch BS by Westin Vacation club? Why can’t people who reside in Tennessee book vacation stays via an exclusive, targeted marketing offer from Westin Vacation Club?
No not bait and switch -- it is likely that no one working on the sales of the property in Mexico has a license to do business with residents of TN -- TN has a specific Time Share sellers license:

A Timeshare Salesperson means any person acting as a seller of any timeshare interval under contract with or control of a licensed real estate broker pursuant to a registered timeshare program. A timeshare salesperson must be affiliated with a licensed real estate firm which is affiliated with a registered timeshare development. A license is required to be issued by the Tennessee Real Estate Commission to engage in the activities of a Timeshare Salesperson.
All applicants must present a completed Timeshare Salesperson Candidate Pre-license Verification form at the examination center prior to application for licensure.

The entire point of these promotions is to sell you a timeshare. If they are not legally able to sell you or even solicit a sale for a timeshare, there is no point is selling you a discount package which includes a timeshare presentation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I also believe there may have been some fine print in the offer say the offer may not be valid in all states. It can be that the agents on Mexico do not have the required licenses but the agents in Orlando do.

You can contact your state and ask about this, as they are the ones with the law on the books about time shares. And they are truly doing the residents a favor by the requirements so no one is ripped off by a time share presentation. Remember - if it seems too good to be true, it usually is and there is a reason they won't let you go back to your room and mull over the offers they make. If you did - you would clearly never sign up for these deals. You can Google "Westin Vacation Club complaints" and have a field day reading them. There are several complaining about the time shares at this exact resort and the Consumer Affairs site is full of complains about these time shares.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In reviewing terms and conditions of the Bacation Club, I did find this:

“Membership in the Loyalty Program and the earning and redeeming of Points are subject to all applicable local laws and regulations. Membership in the Loyalty Program, Member benefits, Redemption Awards and promotional Awards are offered in good faith; however, they may not be available if prohibited or restricted by applicable law or regulation in the United States or Member’s jurisdiction of residence. If any part of these Loyalty Program Rules is held to be unlawful or unenforceable, that part will be deemed deleted from these Program Rules in such jurisdiction and the remaining provisions will remain in force, subject to Sections 1.7.c. and 1.7.d.”