Wells Fargo Bank CC Dispute

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2019
Hello,

My husband and I found a roundtrip ticket to West Africa for $1803.00 total. I paid for the ticket with my Wells Fargo business credit card, and immediately received a text from them to verify the charges. I texted back "Y", for yes. We just found out that the transaction didn't go through, because Wells Fargo declined the charges. After speaking with a customer service representative, she said all transactions are declined until a confirmation is given, it's my responsibility to go back and have the airport submit payment again for the tickets. We were under the impression that once a confirmation is given, the transaction would go through. The ticket prices are now doubled. What's the best way to get Wells Fargo to help purchase our tickets?

Feb 19, 2019
In my situation, we received a confirmation from the airlines around the same time I received and confirmed the text from Wells Fargo. At that point, I didn’t see a reason to callback the airlines. Checking my account today prompted the call to the airlines and to Wells Fargo. My thought process is, the credit card charge would be “pending” not declined until confirmation or not is made.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What was the time interval between your attempt to book the tickets and finding out that they were not booked? When you did not receive a confirmation of the booking did you inquire further?

Feb 19, 2019
We received a "Confirmation of Online booking" from the airlines on Wednesday Feb. 13, 2019 @ 10:50am (MST). I received a text from Wells Fargo at 12:58 pm (EST). I noticed that my account wasn't charged last night (2/18/19).

Sep 19, 2015
We received a "Confirmation of Online booking" from the airlines on Wednesday Feb. 13, 2019 @ 10:50am (MST). I received a text from Wells Fargo at 12:58 pm (EST). I noticed that my account wasn't charged last night (2/18/19).
Mountain Standard Time is two hours behind Eastern time so in reality it was 8 minutes after the purchase the notification came through

When traveling I have had my card declined and received the text -- and hit Y meant that the card has to be rerun. I am standing right there and already know that it is declined and then I hand the card back to the merchant. Aggravating yes but credit card theft and fraud is a major problem in the world.

A 6 digit PNR is not a ticket number -- and of course tickets can be canceled if someone used a stolen credit card.

Once there is a problem with the charge going through one has to go back to the merchant to check on the status of the purchase. It does get automatically resubmitted.

Wells Fargo is not responsible and will not be paying for your airline tickets.

Feb 19, 2019
Great point!! Unfortunately, I wasn’t standing right there for the airlines to rerun my card. Nonetheless, I’m canceling my credit card with Wells Fargo.

Thank you for the responses.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE FOR OUR OTHER READERS
When booking travel on the internet, you cannot "assume" anything. Even if your purchase goes through without a wrinkle, you still need to check and double-check all aspects to be sure you're getting what you want. And you need to do that immediately. If you deal directly with airlines and hotels and you have a problem, there's a much better chance that they'll help you ... if you contact them right away. When using a computer, ever assume anything is a done deal! And never use a phone for booking anything at all.

Sep 19, 2015
Great point!! Unfortunately, I wasn’t standing right there for the airlines to rerun my card. Nonetheless, I’m canceling my credit card with Wells Fargo.

Thank you for the responses.
The incredible amount of credit card fraud has made this situation what it is. I have had fewer problems with the chip cards -- but over the internet, that is where there it is easier for for thieves to do some damage.

Sorry this happened to you; Try checking on google flights to see if there is a more affordable flight.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As a travel agent we see these declinations all the time. It’s a fraud alert and for your own protection. We advise clients to call their cc company before we charge to authorize the payments. When a charge is declined we always have to call the client, have them call the bank and get the approval and we have to call the supplier back and ask them to reprocess the charge. The supplier never automatically recharges the card.

When you book your own travel, these are the things you don’t know about until something like this happens - you don’t know what you don’t know. It’s not the Suppliers fault or the credit card companies fault.

Jan 6, 2015
You should also be able to contact WF before you pay to advise them of the amount and merchant, which "should" allow them to authorize the first time. I have done this with my card . . .

Sep 18, 2018
Nonetheless, I’m canceling my credit card with Wells Fargo.
For what it's worth, this is standard operating procedure in the credit card industry. I use Citibank, which can be draconian with security measures, and I've gotten similar calls/texts asking for confirmation on simple purchases as well as unusual charges while traveling.

In all cases, your replying to the confirmation simply tells the CC company that it's really you. But the charge has already been declined at that point.

You must resubmit the charge or make the purchase again for it to go through -- now that the CC company knows it's you. The reply back from Citi to my confirmation literally says: "Thanks. Please reprocess your charge."

Switching CC companies won't change any of this.

Sep 19, 2015
The incredible amount of CC fraud online is what has made the banks so aggressive with declining charges.

It is a hassle — but on the other side I remember getting an email a few years ago about someone who had ordered over $3000 is furniture and $1000 in electronics on my credit card. I was glad it was blocked — even though I would not be responsible I did not want the criminals to get anything.

Apr 19, 2017
This shouldn't have happened unless you were traveling at the time and neglectaed to let them know before hand. Change to a better bank.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This shouldn't have happened unless you were traveling at the time and neglectaed to let them know before hand. Change to a better bank.
That isn’t true. As I says before as a travel agent we see this all the time. The transaction may have been a larger amount than normal and if it was from an foreign airline that made it that much more unusual. My wife and I see it with all banks so often we tell our clients to call their bank first.

Sep 19, 2015
Not true at all. There are also transactions related to certain regions that trigger fraud alerts — or out of spending pattern that triggers fraud denials.

Also my card has been blocked while traveling even after giving a travel notification.

Sep 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure that that when a charge is submitted for authorization, the answers are "Approved" or "Declined" (And there are a bunch of different 'Declined' codes.) There isn't one for "Declined Now, but it Might Be Approved In a Couple Hours".

If the charge is declined, the bank is not going to run it again on their own accord... Maybe you came up with an alternate form of payment, and now you'd be double-billed!

Sep 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that that when a charge is submitted for authorization, the answers are "Approved" or "Declined" (And there are a bunch of different 'Declined' codes.) There isn't one for "Declined Now, but it Might Be Approved In a Couple Hours".

If the charge is declined, the bank is not going to run it again on their own accord... Maybe you came up with an alternate form of payment, and now you'd be double-billed!
Um, "Pending"?