Wedding

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 1, 2020
Our daughter was supposed to get married in October in Savannah, GA. She and her fiance and all of us live in Minnesota. She has had so many friends and family suffer effects from the covid19 that they decided to cancel the wedding and get married in Minnesota instead. That way her friends and family wouldn't have to take additional PTO and pay for expensive air flights and hotel stays. Plus we have two family members with covid and our daughter and her fiance are both nurses in the ICU. They are all under a lot of stress.

The caterers and trolley services agreed to give us 100% of our deposits back. The photographer and the venue are giving us zero back. Right now we will be losing $3000 if they don't give us our refunds back.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
When are they getting married? If its not any time soon, any chance the photographer would fly to Minnesota to document the wedding? It would be an added expense (airline ticket) but at least you would get the value of his/her services.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
How about asking the photographer to give you a fully transferrable credit toward future service? Perhaps you have other children or relatives who could use it for their wedding or if the newlyweds have a family of their own they can use it for baby portraits.

Reactions: Pixie Pie
Apr 1, 2020
The photographer said we could use it for something else. We are all in Minnesota and he is in Georgia, so we wouldn't ever use it for anything. They are getting married in October. The airline ticket isn't that bad of an idea. And yes the contract states no refund. I guess I was just hopeful that the virus could change him giving us a full refund. Thank you everyone!

Mar 17, 2015
It sounds like you are just losing the deposit on the venue. You can try a well crafted letter to the venue's manager, but please realize that many couples book the venues months, if not years in advance. The same goes with the photographer. My sister had her wedding photographer booked over 2 years away from the wedding and it was a good thing they did, as the next day another couple tried to book the same photographer on the same date. Both the venue and the photographer have lost out on other business as a result of being booked. Maybe for the photographer, you could either do as suggested above and pay for the travel costs or ask for a partial refund. I know with my sister's photographer, they were also paying for photos and other items with the fee, so that part should be refunded if nothing else. But they should be reimbursed for their time and profit. I am so sorry that their plans had to change. Good luck!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What about asking the photographer if they’d be willing to provide a refund or even a partial refund if someone else books your date?

I’m sorry this is happening. They really have plenty of time to book another wedding for your date.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
These two ve
What about asking the photographer if they’d be willing to provide a refund or even a partial refund if someone else books your date?

I’m sorry this is happening. They really have plenty of time to book another wedding for your date.
They would seem to have time to get another booking except that weddings are often booked one year in advance. With that in mind, another wedding might be doubtful, and yet not totally unfeasible. Either vendor could book a differ type of event though.
Their stance is very self centered and would seem to suggest they are only looking out for themselves which in business is a requisite but these are tough times for all and a 50% refund would but at least more easily swallowed by each party.

CTP

Dec 26, 2014
They would seem to have time to get another booking except that weddings are often booked one year in advance. With that in mind, another wedding might be doubtful, and yet not totally unfeasible. Either vendor could book a differ type of event though.
Their stance is very self centered and would seem to suggest they are only looking out for themselves which in business is a requisite but these are tough times for all and a 50% refund would but at least more easily swallowed by each party.
Before suggesting that a 50% refund is "easily swallowed" I would want to understand a lot more about the financial security of a business. Are they still having any events (income) at all? how long will it be before they can have an event at their venue (but rent and utilities still accrue)? Will their landlord allow the rent to be dropped or discounted? How will the landlord make their mortgage payments on properties, will banks allow the business mortgages to be discounted or payments delayed?. Consideration should also be given to businesses that are trying to keep employees employed without having an income. We do not know if and how the stimulus packages will impact our local businesses. Times are tough for all people, and that includes owners. Any refund in these times should be seen as what it is, an incredible gift, not as something that is "easily done".

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Before suggesting that a 50% refund is "easily swallowed" I would want to understand a lot more about the financial security of a business. Are they still having any events (income) at all? how long will it be before they can have an event at their venue (but rent and utilities still accrue)? Will their landlord allow the rent to be dropped or discounted? How will the landlord make their mortgage payments on properties, will banks allow the business mortgages to be discounted or payments delayed?. Consideration should also be given to businesses that are trying to keep employees employed without having an income. We do not know if and how the stimulus packages will impact our local businesses. Times are tough for all people, and that includes owners. Any refund in these times should be seen as what it is, an incredible gift, not as something that is "easily done".
Well said. As a rental property owner everyone seems to think that we can easily continue to run our business without rental income. Every single person is in the same boat...they have obligations to be met based on a certain level of income every month.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Good wedding photographers usually do weddings exclusively (and I'm including engagement photos with weddings as it's the same clientele and some use the same photographer for both). So while the venue might have other options the photographer has less options.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Well said. As a rental property owner everyone seems to think that we can easily continue to run our business without rental income. Every single person is in the same boat...they have obligations to be met based on a certain level of income every month.
I hardly see the comparison. Your tenants will remain in their abode, for which they need to pay and hopefully will pay albeit maybe late.
The wedding venue and the photographer will NOT be providing any services to this former client and will in effect suffer no real loss due to CLIENT actions.
this is where the vendors should turn to the government for help. The SBA is administering loans (which will be forgiven) to any employer with less than 500 employers. OR by filing for unemployment. Either one should work for a small business owner.
It just feels wrong to take money for no service. Who do these people turn to to be made whole again?
We have rental property also. One tenant is due to leave at the end of the month and so has prepaid this month with her initial rental agreement. We also hold one month rental deposit against any damages, unpaid utility bills and/or cleaning fees.
We were informed this morning that she thinks she has CV19 and has been told that her co-workers do indeed have it and have been quarantined with no testing done. There is probably no point in her asking to be tested and with no medicine to be given it is essentially moot anyway, right?
Wehave informed others who have used the same door handles as her. Not fun.
My dilemma now is - since she is a young woman, living alone, should I advise her to travel to someone who will care for her?
She has a has a boyfriend who visited last weekend who is not on the lease and therefore has no right to come live there. I don’t think he should as that is just putting another probably infected person in close proximity with others.
I can’t make her leave but is it even safe for her to be alone?

Last edited:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I hardly see the comparison. Your tenants will remain in their abode, for which they need to pay and hopefully will pay albeit maybe late.
The wedding venue and the photographer will NOT be providing any services to this former client and will in effect suffer no real loss due to CLIENT actions.
this is where the vendors should turn to the government for help. The SBA is administering loans (which will be forgiven) to any employer with less than 500 employers. OR by filing for unemployment. Either one should work for a small business owner.
It just feels wrong to take money for no service. Who do these people turn to to be made whole again?
We have rental property also. One tenant is due to leave at the end of the month and so has prepaid this month with her initial rental agreement. We also hold one month rental deposit against any damages, unpaid utility bills and/or cleaning fees.
We were informed this morning that she thinks she has CV19 and has been told that her co-workers do indeed have it and have been quarantined with no testing done. There is probably no point in her asking to be tested and with no medicine to be given it is essentially moot anyway, right?
Wehave informed others who have used the same door handles as her. Not fun.
My dilemma now is - since she is a young woman, living alone, should I advise her to travel to someone who will care for her?
She has a has a boyfriend who visited last weekend who is not on the lease and therefore has no right to come live there. I don’t think he should as that is just putting another probably infected person in close proximity with others.
I can’t make her leave but is it even safe for her to be alone?
I think you may have missed my point. Everyone has expenses based on their expected income. The photographer is no different. Even though he has not provided the service, the services are being rejected by the bride not due to a state mandated shut down. The agreement signed between the parties stipulates no refunds. If he can afford to refund 50% of the fee that would be a great solution to both parties. If he cannot, then some other arrangement may have to be made as suggested above. But, to assume its no problem for someone to refund 50% is not honoring the contract. If the wedding were to have happened in April then the no services rendered is a better argument. But the wedding was to take place in October when (hopefully) the services very much can happen on the part of the photographer.

Sep 9, 2018
UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT:

If the wedding photographer won't budge and all other options/attempts have been exhausted (and the bride and groom can't make it to GA), *maybe* they all would agree to "pay it forward" and use the money for another couple/occasion? I know it's a lot of money to lose (especially when NO service has been provided). But if it comes to a stalemate, maybe a mitzvah during these awful times might be possible on the photographer's end. I mean, if the photographer is intent on keeping the money, maybe s/he would be willing to apply the $ towards another couple and bring some light to the very dark place we all are in.

Again, it is A LOT of money to lose and all other options should be fully exhausted. I'm so sorry about all of this. My beloved father was a wedding photographer and he would agree that a wedding six months away during a pandemic with infected family members is grounds for a refund.

Let the tomato-throwing commence......as long as it's from 6 feet away! :)

• Love
Reactions: Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Every time I hear these people on television say not to pay your rent, I cringe. Do these people think landlords can keep up their obligations without being paid rent?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
I think you may have missed my point. Everyone has expenses based on their expected income. The photographer is no different. Even though he has not provided the service, the services are being rejected by the bride not due to a state mandated shut down. The agreement signed between the parties stipulates no refunds. If he can afford to refund 50% of the fee that would be a great solution to both parties. If he cannot, then some other arrangement may have to be made as suggested above. But, to assume its no problem for someone to refund 50% is not honoring the contract. If the wedding were to have happened in April then the no services rendered is a better argument. But the wedding was to take place in October when (hopefully) the services very much can happen on the part of the photographer.
And you missed my point.
He needs to look to the govt to replace that lost income.
Will he do that and double dip ? Who knows.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Every time I hear these people on television say not to pay your rent, I cringe. Do these people think landlords can keep up their obligations without being paid rent?
Welcome to Portland Oregon where the city officials are leading the charge! I've asked them if they would like to forego their salaries for the time being to show solidarity and all :)

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
And you missed my point.
He needs to look to the govt to replace that lost income.
Will he do that and double dip ? Who knows.
Your suggestion is because someone changed their mind they should be allowed a refund without question? What is the point of a contract then? The wedding is in October, they chose not to get married there any longer. No other reason than that. They have not been forced to cancel the wedding, this is not about Covid-19 directly, ie, they are under government orders to stay at home and cannot travel to Georgia. They chose to have their wedding in their home town.

Last edited: