We paid for a hotel with 2 elevators -- 1 was never working and 1 day both were broken -- so we want a 50% refund from Accor Hotels/Adagio Reuilly

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 22, 2019
We booked the Adagio Access Paris Reiully (Accor Hotels) specifically because it has 2 modern elevators to serve my wife who uses a wheelchair for mobility.
We searched more than 100 hotels for price point, location, etc. -- but most of all, for 2 modern elevators -- a rarity in the old city.

Sadly, along with a half dozen unacceptable issues, there was never more than 1 elevator working and one day -- during the 100 degree lethal heat wave -- both were broken from early morning to early evening. We have asked for a 50% refund of what we paid. That would be -- $1,283.83.

This is a reasonable request because in light of the elevators plus other issues (no wakeup call resulted in us accidentally leaving valuables behind, door had to be fixed multiple times so it would close, blackout curtain fell to ground without being touched, the day we asked for no maid service housekeeping showed up and woke us from a slumber, sofa bed had stale sheets and was not made up freshly as requested in writing months in advance), we could ask for far more than half.

But we are simplifying and being reasonable. When a person with a disability dreads not having 2 elevators, it negatively impacts their trip. Bottom line, if you pre-order 2 boards of charcuterie and they bring out 1 -- you get half your money back. We made a full faith, months before arrival full payment for 2 elevators (notes with the hotel manager underscored this). We got 1.

That merits a 50% rebate. Adagio/Accor has ignored our request send July 9. Their online form has an empty "mandatory field" glitch which makes it impossible to contact them via that form (though we've wasted 2 hours trying to fill out the form) -- we can attached a screen shot demonstrating this.

The value of our refund -- half of what we paid in good faith, in advance, online -- would be $1,283.83

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
May 28, 2019
I think asking for the 50% rebate is excessive and will be denied. While I completely understand the elevator availability was the major factor in selecting this hotel, you did stay there for the duration of your trip. If you had found other lodging for your stay and vacated at the beginning when you discovered that one elevator was inoperable OR if you found other lodging when the second elevator failed, I would think it reasonable to request a refund for unused days.
Due to the disability situation, going forward you may want to consider only lodging which will give you a ground floor unit. This is unfortunate and limiting but would provide you and your wife peace of mind so that you can eliminate possible repeats of this terrifying situation.

Mar 23, 2015
50% seems excessive. *IF* I'm reading your story correctly, there was actually ONLY one day when you didn't have access to an elevator for the bulk of the day, yes? The rest of the time, at least 1 elevator was operational? Perhaps asking for a refund of 1 day would be fair then. If the other issues bothered you, they should have been brought to the attention of the staff at that time to allow them to address any issues while you were there. Piling additional complaints on to the elevator issue at this point just makes your complaint appear more trivial. Stick to the elevator issue and ask for a refund of one day's lodging. Good Luck.

Sep 19, 2015
Has the attached letter already been sent to the CEO as it was addressed to him? If it has been sent has there been a response?

It is understandable that the elevator being out for the entire time is an annoyance and that the one day that it was out for until late afternoon was a problem for a wheelchair user and no one is minimizing that. And of course the concern about the elevator not being fixed -- well it was, so the fear of something bad happening is not enough.

Part of the issue is that the request of 50 refund is excessive. The extra elevator wait may have delayed you for what, 20 minutes per day? I live in a building that is slightly smaller, and we have only one elevator and one wheelchair user in the building, so it is understandable that there was a wait to use the elevator, especially when people have luggage and they cannot all fit,

Of the entire package that you paid for, room, elevator, whatever else amenities they offer, the second elevator was a part of it. You got 100 percent use of the room and other issues.

How do you know the sheets were "stale"? Were they stained? When there were problems with the door jamb they were fixed correct?

The charcuterie comparison does not work -- that is something for the customer's exclusive use and consumption, the elevator is not.

Asking for an excessive refund usually gets the complaint ignored. There should be some gesture, but 50 percent is too much.

Aug 30, 2015
Accor is not that well known in the US but is the sixth-largest hotel group in the world. It is based in France and is best known in the US for the Fairmont, Red Roof Inn, and Motel 6 brands.
Here is some basic contact info for Accor: https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/support/contact.shtml
They don't own Red Roof nor Motel 6 anymore. They have a few Novotel properties and some Sofitel properties in North America. Although you're right, they are fairly large in much of the world.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I am still wondering why the OP did not request a room on the ground floor to begin with. If I had such limited mobility that I required a wheelchair, I would be afraid of being on a high floor just because of a potential fire. How would one evacuate from the 15th floor if the elevators were disabled?

Dec 19, 2014
50% refund on the stay will likely be interpreted as an unreasonable request and the letter will be ignored.
A refund of 1 night is reasonable, based on the elevator being out for the 1 day.

Did you address the issue of the elevator with the management team while you were there and before you checked out?

Sep 27, 2018
I am still wondering why the OP did not request a room on the ground floor to begin with. If I had such limited mobility that I required a wheelchair, I would be afraid of being on a high floor just because of a potential fire. How would one evacuate from the 15th floor if the elevators were disabled?
Many city hotels do not have rooms on the ground floor.

Sep 27, 2017
Has the attached letter already been sent to the CEO as it was addressed to him? If it has been sent has there been a response?

It is understandable that the elevator being out for the entire time is an annoyance and that the one day that it was out for until late afternoon was a problem for a wheelchair user and no one is minimizing that. And of course the concern about the elevator not being fixed -- well it was, so the fear of something bad happening is not enough.

Part of the issue is that the request of 50 refund is excessive. The extra elevator wait may have delayed you for what, 20 minutes per day? I live in a building that is slightly smaller, and we have only one elevator and one wheelchair user in the building, so it is understandable that there was a wait to use the elevator, especially when people have luggage and they cannot all fit,

Of the entire package that you paid for, room, elevator, whatever else amenities they offer, the second elevator was a part of it. You got 100 percent use of the room and other issues.

How do you know the sheets were "stale"? Were they stained? When there were problems with the door jamb they were fixed correct?

The charcuterie comparison does not work -- that is something for the customer's exclusive use and consumption, the elevator is not.

Asking for an excessive refund usually gets the complaint ignored. There should be some gesture, but 50 percent is too much.
Did everyone in the party get 100% use of the room? If the wheelchair-bound traveller had to hang in the lobby the day both elevators were out, then they did not. And if they were stuck in the room during this time, they did get use of the room, albeit in a prison type situation.

Also, the OP said they were sticking to the elevator issue. I think the laundry list of other issues were there to help this thread get a grasp on how bad everything was, but the letter writer mentioned that it was the elevator issue that was their concern.

Sep 19, 2015
Did everyone in the party get 100% use of the room? If the wheelchair-bound traveller had to hang in the lobby the day both elevators were out, then they did not. And if they were stuck in the room during this time, they did get use of the room, albeit in a prison type situation.

Also, the OP said they were sticking to the elevator issue. I think the laundry list of other issues were there to help this thread get a grasp on how bad everything was, but the letter writer mentioned that it was the elevator issue that was their concern.
The OP attached a copy of a letter written to the CEO --- in which it states the elevator outage prevented them from returning mid day for a rest and to get out of the heat. The elevator malfunctioned in the morning and was fixed by late afternoon of the same day. This is why people have suggested that one day refund is reasonable, not 50 percent of the total stay

The OP here mentions focusing on the elevator issue but in the correspondence sent to the hotel (attached) there was the list of all the complaints such as the sheets.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The OP attached a copy of a letter written to the CEO --- in which it states the elevator outage prevented them from returning mid day for a rest and to get out of the heat. The elevator malfunctioned in the morning and was fixed by late afternoon of the same day. This is why people have suggested that one day refund is reasonable, not 50 percent of the total stay

The OP here mentions focusing on the elevator issue but in the correspondence sent to the hotel (attached) there was the list of all the complaints such as the sheets.
I think the one day would be fair. The other problems would have had me asking to have my room moved providing they did not have a special handicapped accessible room.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I think the one day would be fair. The other problems would have had me asking to have my room moved providing they did not have a special handicapped accessible room.
Travelers should remember that the ADA act (https://adata.org/learn-about-ada ) is a US law, and that foreign travel may come with none of the protections and accommodations that the law requires in the US.

Treatment of persons with disability and mobility issues will vary tremendously between hotels, tour operators, companies, and countries.
This is another situation where an experienced travel agent can be a great asset.

https://petergreenberg.com/2011/01/10/traveling-abroad-for-wheelchair-users/
"On the ASTA Web site you can search for an agent who lists “Disabled/Accessibility” as a specialty. An impressive list of companies that specialize in accessible travel can be found on the DisabledTravelers.com Web site. "

Another source: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/travelers-with-disabilities