Wasted days, not hours, of vacation due to Spirits mistakes

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2016
Copy and paste from Reddit since I am so so desperate to get anything done.

Got a ticket from Nevada to Chicago originally for July 28 at night. Chicago had weather issues so initial flight cancelled. At front desk, they gave me a new flight, a whole day later (July 29 at night), but it goes from Nevada to Texas then finally to Chicago. I checked the tickets after leaving the desk and there was an error on the tickets from Texas to Chicago. It's on the wrong day but the right time (it printed July 29 in the morning even though the flight before this is dated AFTER this flight). I called Spirit and they confirmed that it's no error and they will fix it at the gate when I get there. They said they acknowledged the error, since there were two flights to the same place at the same time but different dates (July 29 morning vs July 30 morning).

Fast forward to that flights day (July 30 morning), after getting from NV to TX, waiting several hours for the flight from TX to Chicago, then being told my flight pass was for YESTERDAY (July 29 morning). Even after confirming it with support that my pass will get me to TODAY (July 30). Next flight to Chicago is 12 HOURS from now (July 30 late afternoon)

Overall time spent trying to get to my destination will be well over 36 hours of waiting. They keep screwing me over and my next flight isn't even guaranteed. The flight after this July 30 late afternoon flight if we don't get in it is July 31 MORNING. So even more time wasted. Keep in mind we were supposed to be in Chicago July 28th! Also keep in mind we will have been stuck in Texas for MORE than a full day, no hotel given, nothing. Just left here at the airport stranded, no proper rest area.

There's gotta be a way for me to get major compensation here. I understand the first cancelled flight. Weather happens. I'll suck it up. But then connecting me to a 3 point flight I'd have to wait a day for. And then printing the wrong date. And then confirming that I'll be fine and the pass is good on their end.

I don't just want my money back. I need to get to my destination, and also need compensation because this is MORE than the average traveler issue. I have 2 kids with me that have stuck with it and not slept because of this airlines mess ups. I've had to cancel two hotel nights. I myself haven't slept due to the stress of this line. One refund is not enough. I also for the love of anything, would not like any free flights or whatever for Spirit. You couldn't pay me to take his 36 hour starvation & restless experience.

Thank you all and apologies for the strange legal advice request.

Michelle Bell

Staff Member
Advocate
Apr 15, 2016
So sorry this happened to you. It sounds very frustrating!

I want to be clear about your original flight. You mention that it was cancelled for weather. If that's the case, it wasn't a case of Spirit "screwing you." I sounds like they completely dropped the ball after that, but weather truly is out of their control.

Now let's talk about what they DID do wrong, and that's the issuing of your replacement tickets. I'm always distressed at Spirit's rescheduling process. They don't have the equipment availability of other carriers, so it always seems to create more of a problem for passengers, regardless of the reason for the cancellation.

Had you checked your tickets before leaving the counter, the agent could have corrected it then. Why the agent you spoke with by phone didn't make the change is beyond me. I would have also checked with the agent in Nevada when you checked in for your first flight, and not waited until getting to Texas to try to have the problem addressed.

I suggest escalating this case to the contacts we list on our site for Sprit Airlines. You can find them here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/spirit-airlines/

Send a simple, polite letter to the first contact on the list. Wait a week, and then go to the next contact if you haven't heard back. In spite of their issues, Spirit seems to be mostly responsive to customer issues.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how it goes and if we can help with your Spirit correspondence.

Jul 30, 2016
Thank you so much for your quick reply. In times of distress like this, it is much appreciated.

For the weather cancellation, I completely agree. Safety is priority. It's not that I am ticked off about.

Also, I agree with the fact I should have checked first before boarding. But as you know, getting everyone ready and on the flight can get hectic. Also, it should go without saying that our flights, especially after a huge waste of time like a flight cancellation (not their fault but still) we should be able to at least assume they had to get that right. This lady that rebooked our flight was completely lazy and inattentive to such a detail that could waste hundreds of dollars, let alone my family and my precious time and health. The customer service after the fact also did not help and was equally as lazy to tell us everything is fine.

Prior to posting here, I sent an email to Spirit Airlines customer service email. I feel the need to send that same email to the first contact on that list you sent because I have already called customer service before and guess what, they too were unhelpful. So I will send the same to a higher up who hopefully know what they are doing..

Thank you again.

So sorry this happened to you. It sounds very frustrating!

I want to be clear about your original flight. You mention that it was cancelled for weather. If that's the case, it wasn't a case of Spirit "screwing you." I sounds like they completely dropped the ball after that, but weather truly is out of their control.

Now let's talk about what they DID do wrong, and that's the issuing of your replacement tickets. I'm always distressed at Spirit's rescheduling process. They don't have the equipment availability of other carriers, so it always seems to create more of a problem for passengers, regardless of the reason for the cancellation.

Had you checked your tickets before leaving the counter, the agent could have corrected it then. Why the agent you spoke with by phone didn't make the change is beyond me. I would have also checked with the agent in Nevada when you checked in for your first flight, and not waited until getting to Texas to try to have the problem addressed.

I suggest escalating this case to the contacts we list on our site for Sprit Airlines. You can find them here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/spirit-airlines/

Send a simple, polite letter to the first contact on the list. Wait a week, and then go to the next contact if you haven't heard back. In spite of their issues, Spirit seems to be mostly responsive to customer issues.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how it goes and if we can help with your Spirit correspondence.

Michelle Bell

Staff Member
Advocate
Apr 15, 2016
Thank you so much for your quick reply. In times of distress like this, it is much appreciated.

For the weather cancellation, I completely agree. Safety is priority. It's not that I am ticked off about.

Also, I agree with the fact I should have checked first before boarding. But as you know, getting everyone ready and on the flight can get hectic. Also, it should go without saying that our flights, especially after a huge waste of time like a flight cancellation (not their fault but still) we should be able to at least assume they had to get that right. This lady that rebooked our flight was completely lazy and inattentive to such a detail that could waste hundreds of dollars, let alone my family and my precious time and health. The customer service after the fact also did not help and was equally as lazy to tell us everything is fine.

Prior to posting here, I sent an email to Spirit Airlines customer service email. I feel the need to send that same email to the first contact on that list you sent because I have already called customer service before and guess what, they too were unhelpful. So I will send the same to a higher up who hopefully know what they are doing..

Thank you again.
Yes, please try our contacts. They have worked for others.

I'm certainly not faulting you for not checking -- it's a stressful and frustrating situation, but mistakes happen. Sometimes it's an oversight, and other times it's a simple lack of concern for the job at hand and/or how it impacts others. It's sad that we can't depend on "customer service" to do the right thing, but that's what we're here for.

Be sure to stick to the facts. While we absolutely sympathize with you about the negative attitude of the person who erred in your tickets, it won't help your case with an executive to call this person "lazy." I think inattentive is more than valid.

Good luck. And again, keep us posted on how it goes

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do not email all the executives at once. If you do that you will have no one to escalate to. We recommend waiting a week in between contacts because you have to give them a chance to respond. But going to the first exec now is a good idea due to your time constraints.

The problem is Spirit. They don't just have another flight you can jump on. When there is a cancellation you have to wait for the first available flight they have with seats. And since it's more than just one person, that's likely why you had to wait.

Your other option was to tell them to cancel your flight and refund you and buying tickets on another airline. It would have cost you a lot more but you would have been home.

Unfortunately you've experienced the problem using Spirit when there is a flight cancellation. In the future it might be worth flying a better airline that has multiple flights in and out of where you are flying so you have more options of being rebooked.

Let us know how your letter writing goes.

Jul 27, 2016
If all you care about it price, Spirit is cheap. If ANYTHING goes wrong, though, they're by far the worst when it comes to recovery. They don't interline with other airlines, so they can't rebook you on another airline if their flight gets cancelled, and their customer service is, well, lacking at best.

Jan 5, 2015
Unfortunately, you get what you don't pay for with Spirit. They can't put you on another airline because they don't have any agreements with them. So yeah, if they have weather problems or air control holds, or even stuff within their power, you're stuck.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
I would suggest quantifying the compensation you're asking for. For example, if you had hotel costs at origin, or gas/taxi/parking charges. Asking for $123.46 and backing that figure up with receipts and a line by line accounting is always more successful than leaving it up to them, because then they going to buy you off at what they think the lowest possible compensation level to make you go away yet still remain a customer.

On that note, don't threaten never to fly them again or state they're awful, etc (not that you said that in your post, just general advice), because then they have no incentive to work with you. I'd also mention the wear and tear on the kids once but not make your whole letter about that or go into detail. Think of the customer service rep getting paid minimum wage in a windowless pit of despair - sorry "call center" - and all the sob stories they hear. After a while, they're numb. What you want to do is sound reasonable and make them want to help you. Same with the execs. Again, not that you did that in your post, just mentioning a pitfall many posters here run into.

You can post a draft of your letter here if you like for us to reveiw for you. Good luck.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
RSW had many flight delays yesterday, to cities on the Atlantic coast and northward, due to questionable weather in those areas.
Spirit was the ONLY airline that cancelled flights, due to weather.
Not surprising. Spirit seems to enjoy cancelling flights.

Jul 27, 2016
Everything's risk/reward. Spirit cancels about 5% of their flights. Even if you have to pay $1000 to fly another carrier last minute when Spirit cancels on you, if you're saving $200/flight, you're still way ahead of the game.

Personally, the additional hassle of Spirit (including the fact that they don't participate in Precheck) makes them unattractive as an option for me. My travel is either for work (where I don't have time flexibility) or with family (where my tolerance for extra hassle when flying with small children is low), so Spirit isn't worth it. To each his/her own, though.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Everything's risk/reward. Spirit cancels about 5% of their flights. Even if you have to pay $1000 to fly another carrier last minute when Spirit cancels on you, if you're saving $200/flight, you're still way ahead of the game.

How can saving $200 and having to pay $1,000 for another flight allow the passenger to come out ahead?