Washer without a home

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 9, 2018
We had a Kenmore washer purchased for us as a gift on Nov 16 2016 with a service contract. On September 21 2018 we had a problem with the washer so Sears sent a repair man to the house. He replaced the lid lock switch. After the repair he said we had no service contract and the cost would be $431.63 for service. Upon many for calls to sears service the washer had a home at my brother in laws home in Burlington Ct. The washer is in Westhartford Ct. I been calling and getting case number after case number with the same response someone will call you within 48 hrs. Everytime you call you have to explain the situation over and over and are put on hold. This has been going along long enough. I have a service contract on the washer not the address.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t understand this at all. Where is the washer? Did they remove it?

If this is the service contract you have, you can only have the service done at one address- the address on your purchase receipt.

SERVICE SCHEDULING, TIME AND PLACE. In-home service will be performed during Sears Repair’s normal business hours. If, due to the loss of the use of your Covered Product, your health or safety is endangered or if damage to or loss of your property is threatened, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to expedite service. On some products, telephone support by a technician will be available and you may be asked to check some basic operational functions and be given possible solutions to get your Covered Product back to working condition. For select types of merchandise, we may transfer the Covered Product from your home to a specialized facility in order to complete the repair, at our expense if the Covered Product is covered by in-home service. Coverage applies only to products which are located at one (1) address. If your Agreement covers more than one Covered Product, then coverage applies only to Covered Products which are located at the address on the Agreement certificate or sales receipt.

https://m.sears.com/en_us/dap/protection-agreements/mpa-rpa-termsandconditions-2018-11

Dec 9, 2018
I don’t understand this at all. Where is the washer? Did they remove it?

If this is the service contract you have, you can only have the service done at one address- the address on your purchase receipt.

SERVICE SCHEDULING, TIME AND PLACE. In-home service will be performed during Sears Repair’s normal business hours. If, due to the loss of the use of your Covered Product, your health or safety is endangered or if damage to or loss of your property is threatened, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to expedite service. On some products, telephone support by a technician will be available and you may be asked to check some basic operational functions and be given possible solutions to get your Covered Product back to working condition. For select types of merchandise, we may transfer the Covered Product from your home to a specialized facility in order to complete the repair, at our expense if the Covered Product is covered by in-home service. Coverage applies only to products which are located at one (1) address. If your Agreement covers more than one Covered Product, then coverage applies only to Covered Products which are located at the address on the Agreement certificate or sales receipt.

https://m.sears.com/en_us/dap/protection-agreements/mpa-rpa-termsandconditions-2018-11
This was a gift

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You said you had it serviced already - what address was it serviced at? From what this states, you can only have it serviced at one address. Was it serviced at your house? I'm not clear on what you are looking for. Did you pay for the repair and want to be reimbursed?

If you want it serviced at another address, it doesn't seem that it can be done - it seems it has to be at the address either on the purchase receipt or if you bought the service contract, the address you were at when you bought the contract. That is why I am getting out of the terms.

You know Sears is almost out of business. Is the service contract through Sears? If so, use out contacts at Sears and start writing.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/sears/

Use our tips here on how to write and see if you can get an answers other than what I found on their terms:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Let us know how you do.

Dec 9, 2018
The service was in Connecticut. The washer was a gift! with the said service contract. I would like to get reimbursed $431.63 for a lid lock

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use the information I gave you in post #4 and start writing to Sears Corporate offices. You need to keep an email trail and go up the executive chain one at a time - although I am really concerned that due to their financial status, there might be problems with getting them to cover the repair.

Please start your first letter today and be very clear on what you are asking, using bullet point:

- I received a gift of a Kenmore washer, model #xxxxxxx, serial number xxxxx, purchased Nov. 16, 2016
- I purchased a service contract and extended warranty on xx/xx/xx
- On Sept. 21, 2018, I had service on the lid and the technician claimed I did not have a service contract and charged me XXX.XX for the repair.
- I am requesting to be reimbursed for the repair since my extended warranty and service contract was purchased and in effect.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We had a Kenmore washer purchased for us as a gift on Nov 16 2016 with a service contract. On September 21 2018 we had a problem with the washer so Sears sent a repair man to the house. He replaced the lid lock switch. After the repair he said we had no service contract and the cost would be $431.63 for service. Upon many for calls to sears service the washer had a home at my brother in laws home in Burlington Ct. The washer is in Westhartford Ct. I been calling and getting case number after case number with the same response someone will call you within 48 hrs. Everytime you call you have to explain the situation over and over and are put on hold. This has been going along long enough. I have a service contract on the washer not the address.
Sears has just displaced the perennial leader (American Airlines) on this site for the number of recent complaints. Sears is bankrupt and is shutting down stores right and left. They may have no funds to support service contracts.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So what happens if you have this so-called service contract and you sell your house and MOVE, and take your washing machine with you? You're SOL? The only documentation required should be your receipt! All appliances have a serial number on them somewhere.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sears is practially comatose; I'd start writing to them right away and hope for some assistance. Your narrative was a little confusing ... how did the washer end up in Connecticut? It was delivered to your house originally, right? This should have been easy to fix, but I'm sure Sears is not being much help. I'm not sure why you paid the serviceman, since you knew the washer was under a SC. Have you looked at the service contract paperwork to verify whose name is on it? I think if you make a concise list of the facts in chronological order, you may get some help from Sears. Good luck.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So what happens if you have this so-called service contract and you sell your house and MOVE, and take your washing machine with you? You're SOL? The only documentation required should be your receipt! All appliances have a serial number on them somewhere.
If you have a service contract with Sears for anything you are likely SOL.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We need to encourage Scott to use our contacts ASAP. I’m sure he had no choice except to pay for the repair if the service person wasn’t going to fix the lock without getting paid. I hope the service person didn’t force him to pay for the repair because he knew HE might not get paid for the repair through Sears - putting the burden on Scott.

Mar 14, 2018
If you have a service contract with Sears for anything you are likely SOL.
Sears has stated that (at least so far) warranties and protection plans are unaffected by the bankruptcy filing: https://restructuring.searsholdings.com/docs/101518-Customer-QA.pdf

I took a look at the contract and there is nothing that says the appliance must be at the address of the person who purchased it. It does have that strange statement that says the appliance must be "located at one address." I have no idea what they intended that to mean, but as long as the OP isn't moving the washer from place to place I would say they've satisfied the language.

I agree Scott needs to contact Sears in writing and ask that they honor their contract. He can also consider filing a complaint with the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection and/or the Connecticut Insurance Department. (The Insurance Department regulates extended warranties, but it's not clear to me if the Sears Protection Agreement is considered a consumer warranty in CT.)

Mar 14, 2018
Coverage applies only to products which are located at one (1) address. If your Agreement covers more than one Covered Product, then coverage applies only to Covered Products which are located at the address on the Agreement certificate or sales receipt.

BTW, the protection agreement quoted above is only for purchases after 11/21/2018. The OP's protection agreement is here:

https://www.sears.com/en_us/dap/national-mpa-rpa-termsandconditions-20150.html

The agreements are similar, but the older agreement does not contain the last sentence or anything else that says the Covered Products need to be located at the address on the sales receipt.

Dec 9, 2018
Well it is December 16 here we are so far on looking for my refund. Contacted Sears using Outlook.com no response. My service agent is Belen she is located in the Phippines. 888-266-4043 ext 25 Case No.6130656 she is my personal contact she has been 2 weeks working on a solution. Taking to other business owners this seems like a slam dunk. What gives.