Was the compensation (and recipient) correct?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
While speaking with a friend last month, he told me about a problem he had with a hotel this fall. It got me wondering as to: a) Whether the compensation was correct and b) Was the right party compensated?

This past fall, he went to Europe on a business/leisure trip. During the business portion of the trip, his hotel in London suffered a mechanical failure and didn't have hot water for three days. He says the first day the water was lukewarm but cold the last two. The hotel apologized and refunded one night's charge. However since he was on a business trip, the refund went to his employer rather than him. While I'm sure they were happy his hotel charges were less than planned, he works for a Fortune 500 company so any refund isn't material to them. But since HE (not his employer) was the one directly inconvenienced, shouldn't they have compensated him in some way?

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Hi Warren,

Sounds right to me (not fair, but right). If your friend's company paid the freight, they're the ones who are entitled to the refund. Your friend can appeal to the hotel in question, but shouldn't get his hopes up for a positive response.

Sorry I couldn't have better news.

Grant

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Grant - refunds always go back to the card that paid for the booking. This is true regardless of the venue - hotel, cruise or airline. If this should happen again, he should ask the hotel to move him to another hotel, because those conditions should have to be endured.

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the responses.

My friend isn't looking for cash for that trip (it was three months ago), but rather how to handle the situation in the future. After all, HE was the one inconvenienced, not his employer. Beyond switching hotels, should you ask for a gift basket/free dinner/etc. for yourself?

B

bodega3

I don't get the need for the compensation request. Is this really what life has become? Hit a bump in the road and give me something for it? He was traveling on business, his card was refunded. Time to move on.

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't get the need for the compensation request. Is this really what life has become? Hit a bump in the road and give me something for it? He was traveling on business, his card was refunded. Time to move on.
  1. It wasn't his money that was refunded, it was his company's. He received no financial benefit.
  2. Would you describe three days without hot water a "bump in the road"? Unless you are a fan of cold showers, that isn't a good time.

Jan 8, 2015
The question regarded compensation to the individual rather than to the company in the form of a refund, not both.

I think what was originally done was appropriate, though in the future I might ask the hotel for some sort of voucher or credit on the frequent traveler account rather than a refund via the credit card. I think if the desk agent knows why the special request is being made, they will most likely attempt to satisfy the customer.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If this should happen again, my advice is to have the hotel move him to another hotel and they pay for it - that is the best thing to do. No hot water isn't a small thing, especially for three days. And all they refunded was one night - they should have offered at least a second night.

But I don't think asking for a free dinner is out of the question. All they can say is no. I always believe in asking, it never hurts. I hope that your friend never has to go through anything like this again.

B

bodega3

1. It wasn't his money that was refunded, it was his company's. He received no financial benefit.
  2. Would you describe three days without hot water a "bump in the road"? Unless you are a fan of cold showers, that isn't a good time.
His card was credited. He was on business, so the hotel should double compensate everyone or just those on business travel on someone else's dime?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm betting the hot water worked. At some of those older hotels, you have to let it run a long time before it's hot. I've had this problem at many European hotels in the past.
Oh yes, I've had it happen too. In a well known hotel in Ireland we had to run the water for 25 minutes before it got hot!