Wanted: Travel Insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2018
After postponing a river cruise (fully insured) in the fall of 2018, we have rescheduled our cruise. It sails 45 days from now. When we re-scheduled we did not purchase trip insurance. (I know, duh!!). We do not foresee a cancellation, but non-buyers remorse as gotten the best of me and I now I live in fear with aging parents, etc. Is it too late to purchase "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance? If not, can anyone recommend a reputable, reliable company?

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I do believe it's too late for CFAR but I think you could still purchase insurance although it wouldn't cover pre-existing conditions (of your parents). Others will come along and provide more guidance.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm very happy with Dan Drennan at Travel Insurance in Omaha. You can speak with a real agent and get answers to all your questions. Keep an eye on the water levels of your river and have a GREAT cruise!

Feb 3, 2017
When reading over the provisions of any policy you consider, it is a good idea keep an eye on certain words/phrases used - i.e., as in what the policy "may" cover vs. what it "will" cover - there can be some unexpected exclusions.

I like to use the chat feature, if one is available, for any questions I have to clarify specifics of particular importance to me if the policy description is not clear to me so that I then have a written response from the insurer in case I have a dispute over something in future. If there is no chat feature, I just note date/time/name of person I spoke with so I at least have that if I ever need it.

For future reference, if you enroll in travel insurance within two or three weeks (depending upon the policy you choose) after making your first trip payment of any kind, you'll be eligible for CFAR. As you said, you're no longer within that window. However, if your parents are healthy now and have not been treated for anything, or told they need treatment for anything, within the past few months (again, the time limit varies from policy to policy), you should still be eligible for Cancellation/Interruption coverage if something new/unexpected happens to them. Please note that old age is not considered a pre-existing condition. I use www.Squaremouth.com to compare and choose plans. Safe travels from the Travel Insurance Lady (retired.)

Apr 23, 2018
I just note date/time/name of person I spoke with so I at least have that if I ever need it.
A good practice, and it's sometimes possible to go a step further, and not just for travel insurance, In any case where a transaction has already been recorded (e.g. airline or hotel reservation, policy purchase) and I seek further information via phone, I ask the vendor agent to make a note of what (s)he told me in my record. This was very helpful just a few days ago when the agent at my airline check-in counter told me I was eligible for only one free checked bag when, in fact, the telephone agent had correctly told me that I was allowed two.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
For future reference, if you enroll in travel insurance within two or three weeks (depending upon the policy you choose) after making your first trip payment of any kind, you'll be eligible for CFAR. As you said, you're no longer within that window. However, if your parents are healthy now and have not been treated for anything, or told they need treatment for anything, within the past few months (again, the time limit varies from policy to policy), you should still be eligible for Cancellation/Interruption coverage if something new/unexpected happens to them. Please note that old age is not considered a pre-existing condition. I use www.Squaremouth.com to compare and choose plans. Safe travels from the Travel Insurance Lady (retired.)
Not always. Some policies require the payment at the time of deposit. Otherwise you are spot on. The policies can be purchased and just won’t cover pre-ex (and in many cases supplier bankruptcy)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Not always. Some policies require the payment at the time of deposit. Otherwise you are spot on. The policies can be purchased and just won’t cover pre-ex (and in many cases supplier bankruptcy)
Neil, I'm glad you mentioned travel provider bankruptcy. Back in the olden days, a cruise line we had booked 8 months previously ceased operation. We had paid the whole charge at time of booking (probably got a nice discount, I don't remember). I was too dumb to even know that travel insurance existed. American Express reimbursed me for the entire amount without my even asking. Nobody will do that today!

So I am very interested in the exclusion for bankruptcy in travel insurance policies. Is it common or occasional or somewhere in between in the industry? It seems to me quite important for a traveller to have that coverage. If you purchase through a travel agent ... both the cruise and the insurance ... is the TA responsible if the cruise line disappears? How does that all work?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, I'm glad you mentioned travel provider bankruptcy. Back in the olden days, a cruise line we had booked 8 months previously ceased operation. We had paid the whole charge at time of booking (probably got a nice discount, I don't remember). I was too dumb to even know that travel insurance existed. American Express reimbursed me for the entire amount without my even asking. Nobody will do that today!

So I am very interested in the exclusion for bankruptcy in travel insurance policies. Is it common or occasional or somewhere in between in the industry? It seems to me quite important for a traveller to have that coverage. If you purchase through a travel agent ... both the cruise and the insurance ... is the TA responsible if the cruise line disappears? How does that all work?
The only one responsible of a supplier goes out of business is the supplier. Travel agencies nor OTAs know if a supplier is in financial trouble unless it has been highly publicized.

For instance, if a client asks about Alitalia or Wow or Norwegian Airline tickers- we warn clients about their financial issues and if the clients insists on booking them we will usually tell the client to book on their own.

The only recourse a consumer has is a credit card chargeback if a supplier goes out of business. That’s why one should NEVER book travel with a debut card- you do not have the same chargeback rights with a debit card vs. a credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.