WALMART GREENDOT MONEY CARD

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 11, 2018
My husband purchased a Walmart money card on Feb. 27, 2018 in the amount of 300.00. We purchased this card to make an online payment to our internet connection Via Sat. When we opened the card it came with a term of use which we proceed to read, it took a good 20 minutes front and back excluding reading their privacy policy which they reference an online link. To activate this card they instruct you to go "online" to Walmartmoneycard.com This site then takes your card number along with the code , expiration date, then does nothing.
In another attempt at registering online through the Walmart site, it takes all information, name address, social security numbers, phone number, card number, code, date of expiration, asks you to create a pin number, then comes back and tells you it cannot validate your identity. My husband went to Walmart in person and was told by several employees there was nothing they could do in store. They told him he need to deal online or call Walmart money card, which we had already tried. Again another attempt was made via phone, which does not allow you to talk with a person, and this time they said they could not identify after all information was again given, and they (computer) said a temporary use was allowed which consisted of only in person transactions that they would allowed, thus making the card totally useless to me as my intent was to purchase the card to make an online payment to my internet service via sat, that will take no other payment then electronically, which I also have an issue with. I will save that for another note.
What's your desired resolution? We want access to our funds, as to pay Via Sat.
(our time is also of value) I have spent a total of four hours, online and via telephone with no results as well as given personal information to Walmart without any consideration. My husband's time is also of value, he made two in store visits to Walmart to get resolution to no avail. I am still trying to resolve. Out side of writing to Walmart which consists of adding another 10 days without access to our funds. My husbands time per/hr is 70.00 3 hrs. 210.00 , my time 4.5 hour at 35.00 per hr.is 157.50

What's the value of your claim (in US $) $ 656.00
Date of transaction/travel date: 2018-02-27

Mar 11, 2018
I want to be able to use the funds on this card. I am on this site because in reading it I figured it was a site that stated it would get results for people facing various problems with companies.

Sep 19, 2015
These prepaid cards can be problematic. The company has to verify account and ID to prevent money laundering and fraud. There are so many ways that the verification can go wrong or be delayed. There is an inherent risk in opening a new card because of verification delay.

I do not know if Walmart actually owns the card or it is a branding with Green Dot and that Green Dot needs to be contacted.

I would advise to drop the demand to be compensated for your time. That is not going to happen and may get the complaint tossed aside.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And as JVille asked - did you buy it directly from Walmart? If you did not and bought rim a third party website- there are often fraudulent cards on those websites. Just about every issue that is unsolved here is a card bought through a third party vendor.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
And how? Did you use another gift card, or did someone give you a credit ..... these cases all seem to involve something unusual about the source of the card or the source of the funds to purchase the card.
We really want to assist but we have to get the full picture and distance your issues from what seems familiar with other PrePaid cards we have seen on this forum.

Sep 27, 2017
Out of sheer curiosity, how did you calculate compensation for time at $70 snf $35 per hour? If you were comparing your actual work salaries to determine per hour 'worth', is there a reason that you and your husband are making hefty salaries and not have access to a credit card/ debit card/ checking account?

Mar 11, 2018
Did you purchase this card DIRECT from Walmart or from a different vendor? This is important....
Did you purchase this card DIRECT from Walmart or from a different vendor? This is important....
My husband purchased the card directly from Walmart in Hemet, CA on Sanderson Ave. He paid 300.00 CASH at the register. He was told all he had to do was go online and register the card. Once we got back home we opened this card up and I proceeded to read the terms of use, which in my opinion is "off the wall" then tried registering and the original post above tells the story.

Mar 11, 2018
Out of sheer curiosity, how did you calculate compensation for time at $70 snf $35 per hour? If you were comparing your actual work salaries to determine per hour 'worth', is there a reason that you and your husband are making hefty salaries and not have access to a credit card/ debit card/ checking account?
My husband is a Heavy Equipment Mechanic, welder, well driller etc....We do not believe in credit cards, if we can't pay cash for it we figure we don't either need it or can't afford it. We have managed to survive just fine this way .

Mar 11, 2018
And how? Did you use another gift card, or did someone give you a credit ..... these cases all seem to involve something unusual about the source of the card or the source of the funds to purchase the card.
We really want to assist but we have to get the full picture and distance your issues from what seems familiar with other PrePaid cards we have seen on this forum.
The card was purchased directly from Walmart using 300.00 cash. I have the receipt , it was purchased on 02/27/2018, as I said we bought it to pay my internet service Via Sat, which will only take electronic payments

Sep 19, 2015
is the card still restricted to in person purchases? It sounds to me as if the anti fraud anti money laundering verification is slow. The system is trying to verify identity. There is a reason that scammers ask for payment in gift cards and western union. By being off the grid financially it is harder to verify identity.

This is just a guess.

Jul 27, 2016
It sounds like the issue you're running into is that, in order to allow you to use the card for online transactions, Green Dot needs to confirm who you are, otherwise they open themselves up to the potential that their cards are being used for money laundering, and the Feds have very little sense of humor about that.

From the Green Dot site:
What is necessary to get the Green Dot Card?
All you have to do is visit one of our participating retailers or Financial Service Centers to purchase the Card and call or go online to provide your personal information to activate the Card. You can also order a Card online by clicking here. Federal law requires us to obtain, verify and record your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number, and phone number when you register a Green Dot Card. If a valid social security number is not provided, a Personalized Card will not be issued.
https://secure.greendot.com/greendot/account/faqs

If you do all your business in cash, and don't have a bank account, there might not be sufficient information available at credit bureaus or the like for them to confirm your identity. I understand that you don't want to use credit cards, but if you open a checking account, that would come with a debit card, which you could use to pay Viasat.

If you can't get the card verified, you haven't actually lost anything, since you can still use it for day to day in person transactions and drain the $300 that way.