Walmart employee racially discriminated against me in a walmart store.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2018
My husband and I are a interracial couple and were trying to leave the walmart store after our purchases were over. The door greeter let a couple before us that was white go on by her with out checking there receipt and they had more expensive things in there cart. But as we were about to walk on by she held out her hand and demanded us to stop looked at each one of my bags with her hands in my cart and bags. Everything that was in my cart was on my receipt. I was completely and utterly embarrassed. This was so humiliating. I cried leaving the store. Just because I am dark skinned and don't look like I have money doesn't mean I should be discriminated against. Where I live there aren't many dark skinned people. Walmart has pictures of interracial families on there walls so why isn't mine welcome. I want to be compensated for this embarrassing and humiliating issue. And no one seems to care. I called the walmart manager when this incident first happened and they did not even care to take my name or number. And said they can take the employee to the side and talk to her. This is wrong and immoral. Please someone help me. I've contacted ceo members and managers of all sorts no one cares to contact me back or compensate me.

Aug 29, 2015
My local Walmart stops people at random. Someone I know said they are supposed to stop every x people, and x is decided at the start of the day. I’ve seen them stop people who look professional and those dressed in scrubs and those who came from a “People of Walmart” photo. I doubt they singled you out. This time of year has more shoplifting and loss than any other. Don’t be so quick to take offense.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think this has anything to do with color. As Algebralovr said - this is random. My wife and I were in Walmart yesterday and we were asked for our receipt. We are two elderly white people.

How many people after you were asked for their receipts?

If you believe you were discriminated against - you can contact an attorney. If it comes down to a lawsuit - they will pull the surveillance tapes and the tape will tell the story of whether there is indeed discrimination or if people were randomly stopped, regardless of their race.

Nov 27, 2018
My local Walmart stops people at random. Someone I know said they are supposed to stop every x people, and x is decided at the start of the day. I’ve seen them stop people who look professional and those dressed in scrubs and those who came from a “People of Walmart” photo. I doubt they singled you out. This time of year has more shoplifting and loss than any other. Don’t be so quick to take offense.
Did you know that they aren't aloud to put there hands in you bag or cart. I had a roll of hamburger meat in my cart and it was thrown on my pillows. This is probably just an walmart employee trying to stand up for walmart but I tell you there is racial disrimation in this world and not everyone experience it or sees it for there self . Where I live I am a minority and until you live somewhere where you don't quit fit in or you have everyone else around you that doesn't look like you. Then you have no room to speak so thank you for your words come visit london ky and see how many African Americans you see around you. Thank you have a nice day.

Nov 27, 2018
I don't think this has anything to do with color. As Algebralovr said - this is random. My wife and I were in Walmart yesterday and we were asked for our receipt. We are two elderly white people.

How many people after you were asked for their receipts?

If you believe you were discriminated against - you can contact an attorney. If it comes down to a lawsuit - they will pull the surveillance tapes and the tape will tell the story of whether there is indeed discrimination or if people were randomly stopped, regardless of their race.
If they are going to stop one person at the door they should stop them all. Plain and simple. You can feel on somebody when they are showing dislike towards someone can you not. And especially when your items are being thrown around in your cart you hamburger being tossed on your pillows with a mean attitude. And each one of your items being checked. Sifting thru each and every bag.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Truly, Amira, you are causing yourself a problem. Research WalMart's purchase-checking procedures. I am troubled by this line in your post: " I've contacted ceo members and managers of all sorts no one cares to contact me back or compensate me." Compensate you? Really? Surely I am misconstruing this statement of yours.

Dec 11, 2016
A good way to contact store management is by submitting an email/complaint to the store through Walmart's website. My local store takes those emails seriously, and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call back to discuss any complaints I had. If you submit another complaint, I suggest leaving emotions out of it, and that you remove all demands for compensation. Please understand that those detract from the validity of your claim, and make your complaint sound unreasonable. That may be why you haven't received any response to date.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our contacts for Walmart;

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/walmart/

This is the process we advise taking for best results:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Claiming discrimination turns this into a legal issue and we do not deal with legal issues here. In our FAQ section there is information on what we do not advocate.

https://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions/

We encourage you to use our company contacts and bring your concerns to the Executives at Walmart.
Beyond that, there isn’t anything else we can do, so I am going to close this from further comments.

Amira, if after using our company contacts you would like to update us on the outcome, let us know and we will re-open this for your update.

Status
Not open for further replies.