Wal-Mart over charging for prescription - $230.00 vs $67.00

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 17, 2019
I was charged $230.00 for a prescription drug, that I thought was high when I picked it up, but didn't think until got home and checked it.

My old pharmacy (King Soopers in Colorado) charged me $65.00 in 2017. That is what they currently charge. Many other pharmacies currently charge in that price range.

I contacted Walmart 6 time, and each time except the last, they told me that someone would call me in 3 business days. Only once did anyone call, and that was the person that I had a dispute with.

I believe charging $230 for something that can be gotten for $67 is out of line.

Jan 6, 2015
As a test, would you be willing to search GoodRx for your prescription and post a picture of the results (blank out the prescription name)?

Sep 19, 2015
I was charged $230.00 for a prescription drug, that I thought was high when I picked it up, but didn't think until got home and checked it.

My old pharmacy (King Soopers in Colorado) charged me $65.00 in 2017. That is what they currently charge. Many other pharmacies currently charge in that price range.

I contacted Walmart 6 time, and each time except the last, they told me that someone would call me in 3 business days. Only once did anyone call, and that was the person that I had a dispute with.

I believe charging $230 for something that can be gotten for $67 is out of line.
What you have written is too vague. If it was too expensive why not ask the pharmacist when picking it up? What were you told when calling? Why not go back and talk in person?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What you have written is too vague. If it was too expensive why not ask the pharmacist when picking it up? What were you told when calling? Why not go back and talk in person?
Thats what I have done when changing pharmacy's. The new pharmacy didn't process my insurance because they didn't have the information. I gave them the card when they told me how much the drug was going to be and they reprocessed it at the correct price once they had the insurance.

Sep 19, 2015
Thats what I have done when changing pharmacy's. The new pharmacy didn't process my insurance because they didn't have the information. I gave them the card when they told me how much the drug was going to be and they reprocessed it at the correct price once they had the insurance.
There are so many ways this could happen -- missing insurance info, dr not writing to fill the prescription with generic meds -- or if this is paid with a medicare drug insurance policy, could it be the dreaded donut hole or coverage gap -- or was this medication full price because the deductible had not been met?

Without more information I cannot say that Walmart did anything wrong

Feb 3, 2017
Not all pharmacies charge the same for the same medication; here in NYS, we have the ability to check and price compare through some data collected by the Department of Health (but it is not as robust a program as it really should and could be, in my opinion) but, it does offer some helpful info and price comparison which has been helpful.

Something one can do before choosing to have their prescriptions filled at any pharmacy: do comparison shopping.

You can learn prices by contacting the pharmacies and inquiring what the cost will be for your meds, factoring in your prescription coverage (if you have such coverage), etc.

I did this and found a big difference in price between two pharmacies within 2 blocks of each other in my neighborhood. It is an eye-opening experience.

Not sure what may or may not happen in your situation but there is no legally mandated one price fits all when it comes to medications.

This is just one of many news pieces on the issue https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...cription-drugs-you-better-shop-around-n830066

Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I made the mistake of accepting it on the spot. I complained about the price, but at that time I wasn't sure what the price should be. I have spoken in person with the pharmacist and on the phone. He was adament that that was the price.

Apr 3, 2016
There can be so many factors. Was you insurance applied? Was you insurance not applied (sometimes it can be cheaper to not use insurance)? Was it a generic? Have you not yet met some sort of deductible? Is it really the exact same prescription as 2017 (strength, number of days)? Did you receive an EOB from your insurance explainig things?
If the pharmacist is correct about the price, you can shop around for a better price for your next refill.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I made the mistake of accepting it on the spot. I complained about the price, but at that time I wasn't sure what the price should be. I have spoken in person with the pharmacist and on the phone. He was adament that that was the price.
Is this something that is usually covered by insurance? I know people that have had big surprises when they hit the "donut hole" on medicare policies, and have to pay out of pocket --

There is still too much information missing

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

Are you still in Colorado? If so, why did you use Walmart rather than stay with King Sooper? Walmart can charge anything they want to charge. There is NO regulation of retail drug prices. If you have changed states there will be different prices. You can look up your drug and location pricing on goodrx.com.

Feb 12, 2019
No, but that shouldn't make any difference, should it?
It makes all the difference. The only time prescriptions are more or less the same price from pharmacy to pharmacy is when using insurance because your insurance sets the price you pay (there are exceptions if they have out of network pharmacies or if they want you to do mail-in pharmacies for long-term meds). Without insurance the pharmacy charges you the cash rate which, as others have stated, can vary wildly from pharmacy to pharmacy. It can also vary at a pharmacy because drug prices aren't static - if the manufacture charges them more the next time they order, the cash price goes up.

Sep 20, 2015
Unfortunately, prescription pricing is one of those things that is about as transparent as mud. As people stated, there are many reasons why scripts can differ in price. The OP mentioned that his former pharmacy (King Soopers) charged one rate...has the OP moved to a different city and/or state? Even that can make a difference.

The best thing to do if you don't have insurance is use the programs mentioned above, and by all means comparison shop. Pharmacies will tell you how much something costs if you ask. One would think that WalMart pharmacy would be competitive, but drug pricing is so (unnecessarily) complex that no one really knows what kind of deals these places get. The best consumer is an informed consumer.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I’m betting this has to do with having Insurance previously and having new Insurance now or no Insurance. The lower price paid previously must have been a negotiated RX price. But that was the price the OP paid in 2017 and this is 2019, the world of drug costs has changed significantly in the last 2 yrs.

Jan 30, 2018
Even with Medicare and Part D coverage insurance prices can be wacko. My husband has had a particular drug he takes refilled 3 times so far this year - first copay was $3.54, second was $12.00 and third was $17.00. Not huge amounts, but go figure. And don't even get me started on a drug I take with a monthly copay of $780. Trying to get copay assistance but unless you are truly low income, forget it.