Waiting for refund from Travelocity

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 24, 2021
I bought two tickets on Virgin Atlantic through Travelocity inn July 2019 for travel in March of 2020. Flight was cancelled by airline due to pandemic. I have been waiting to receive refund. First they told me refund was coming. Then they told me I should receive it from the airline. I contacted the airline, who said I should receive it from Travelocity. I filed a complaint with the BBB, to which Travelocity responded that they refunded me already - with a different itinerary number! Still waiting for refund. . .

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Who charged your card initially....Travelocity or Virgin Atlantic?

Reactions: VoR61

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Do you have everything in writing regarding the refund from both the airline and Travelocity? If so, I would file a dispute with your credit card showing that they both say you are due a refund and one has not appeared on your card.

Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Do you have everything in writing regarding the refund from both the airline and Travelocity? If so, I would file a dispute with your credit card showing that they both say you are due a refund and one has not appeared on your card.
If OP purchased the tickets in July 2019, it's way outside the 60-day window for a credit card response.

Perhaps filing a complaint with the Department of Transportation would get their attention. I would include anything you have in writing from both parties pertaining to the refund. It seems to me that if Virgin Atlantic charged OP's card, they would provide the refund regardless of Travelocity's involvement.

Apr 24, 2021
I filed a complaint with the DOT regarding Virgin, but they replied that they had already refunded the money to Travelocity. Here is the email I received from them:

Dear
Thank you for your patience while we look into your refund.
Our refunds team have looked into this and can confirm that the refund was sent back to your travel agent on the 15 September.
This was done by your travel agent thought their own system I would advise speaking with them once more.
We do have a dedicated sales support team that your travel agency can contact if they are having any issues completing your refund and returning this payment to you.
Once again thank you for your continued patience during this time.
Kind regards,
Kimberley Hutchings 
Customer Care
Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd
The VHQ, Fleming Way
Crawley
RH10 9DF, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 344 873 7747
http://www.virginatlantic.com

Can I file a DOT complaint against Travelocity?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If OP purchased the tickets in July 2019, it's way outside the 60-day window for a credit card response.

Perhaps filing a complaint with the Department of Transportation would get their attention. I would include anything you have in writing from both parties pertaining to the refund. It seems to me that if Virgin Atlantic charged OP's card, they would provide the refund regardless of Travelocity's involvement.
We have seen a few companies disregard the window during the pandemic. Unfortunately, the OP's credit card company isn't one of them!

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Perhaps filing a complaint with the Department of Transportation would get their attention.
As long as Virgin Atlantic charged your card and you did not cancel this flight before the airline canceled this flight I would also file a complaint with the DOT. I think you might get a good result here.
If Travelocity charged it you would have a lot less success with filing a DOT as they have little power to do anything with OTAs.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Use the following post on this forum and appeal in writing to the company executives ay\t Travelocity using our company contacts, this usually will get this resolved, and if not, will provide a paper trail needed to determine how we can assist further:

Travelocity would have to apply for a refund from the airline, but if the airline charged your credit card, the airline would process the funds back to your card. The funds would not go to Travelocity, but directly back to your credit card from the airline. Unfortunately, it appears some of the airlines are playing the "talk to your booking agent" game in an attempt to delay having to provide refunds.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If Travelocity had the wrong itinerary number on their communication with you, then your money is held up at Travelocity. They are unaware of the error. Virgin can be very slow to refund, but not this slow. So all you need do is contact Travelocity and request that someone look up your information and fix the problem. They should be able to refund you immediately. Normally this could probably be handled on the phone, but I understand that call volume is way up again with all travel providers, so putting it in writing might be less aggravation for you.

Reactions: Patina
Apr 24, 2021
Apologies...here is the link:

Thank you - I submitted a complaint against Travelocity - lets see how that works

Apr 24, 2021
Use the following post on this forum and appeal in writing to the company executives ay\t Travelocity using our company contacts, this usually will get this resolved, and if not, will provide a paper trail needed to determine how we can assist further:

Travelocity would have to apply for a refund from the airline, but if the airline charged your credit card, the airline would process the funds back to your card. The funds would not go to Travelocity, but directly back to your credit card from the airline. Unfortunately, it appears some of the airlines are playing the "talk to your booking agent" game in an attempt to delay having to provide refunds.
Thank you - I used your post to appeal to company exec as per instructions - will let you know if it helps

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
"Virgin, but they replied that they had already refunded the money to Travelocity"

There's no need to communicate with Virgin anymore. You need to focus on Travelocity. As long as you follow the instructions in Dwayne's link, you should be able to get hold of a real person who can help you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you - I submitted a complaint against Travelocity - lets see how that works
Oh dear, a DOT complaint will probably stop everything cold. Can you retract it until you have a chance to communicate with Travelocity? Once they know that there's a mix-up, this should be an easy fix. You can always refile the complaint if they don't refund you promptly.

Apr 24, 2021
Oh dear, a DOT complaint will probably stop everything cold. Can you retract it until you have a chance to communicate with Travelocity? Once they know that there's a mix-up, this should be an easy fix. You can always refile the complaint if they don't refund you promptly.
How could I retract. I don't think it was a mix-up, I think they knew it was a different ticket and were just stalling because when I wrote them it was a different ticket they just ignored me.