Vueling Airlines - Lack of Response EU-261 Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 17, 2018
My family of four were denied boarding on Vueling flight VY6864 from Florence to Catania on August 3, 2018. I filed a claim for 1,151 Euro (250 per passenger plus ancillary expenses) with the airline on August 18, 2018. I have provided written documentation and received a customer service claim number. I have followed up on the claim several times and sent the documentation to company officers noted on the Elliott website. The only responses received have been "auto" responses to my emails and a phone call (from a live Vueling employee, no less!) stating that my claim is being reviewed. We incurred expenses of 2,400 Euro to rebook our own flights to Catania, so I am unwilling to give up on this matter. What other avenues are there? Should I file a complaint with the Italian civil aviation authority? Any advice is appreciated.

Sep 19, 2015
Why did Veuling deny boarding? Did they overbook? have they given any response aside from the call? When was the call?

Oh ouch that is an expensive flight to Catania -- 600 Euro each, ouch

You can file with the Italian authorities but those bodies generally cannot force the airline to compensate, but there is anecdotal data that sometimes the airline does day after being contacted by the member state aviation authority.

Do you live in the US?

Veuling has a pretty mediocre reputation, especially with EU 261 compensation.

If Veuling ignores you and the Aviation regulators the last option is filing suit or using one of the claims companies which take a large commission.

Nov 17, 2018
Why were you denied boarding? Did you arrive at the airport too late?

We need to know why you were denied boarding to tell you if you are due compensation of not.
We arrived at the airport 3 hours prior to flight time for check-in. We, with about 25 other passengers, were held at check-in with very evasive explanations ranging from weather (sunny and hot that day), overbooking, and total weight of the aircraft. The multiple stories were very confusing and seemed shady, especially as we compared notes with other passengers. The aircraft did indeed depart - albeit several hours late and without what i would estimate to be 25-30 passengers.

Nov 17, 2018
Why did Veuling deny boarding? Did they overbook? have they given any response aside from the call? When was the call?

Oh ouch that is an expensive flight to Catania -- 600 Euro each, ouch

You can file with the Italian authorities but those bodies generally cannot force the airline to compensate, but there is anecdotal data that sometimes the airline does day after being contacted by the member state aviation authority.

Do you live in the US?

Veuling has a pretty mediocre reputation, especially with EU 261 compensation.

If Veuling ignores you and the Aviation regulators the last option is filing suit or using one of the claims companies which take a large commission.
I appreciate the prompt reply! See my response to the moderator - multiple stories from Vueling as to why we were denied boarding, but it was NOT due to late arrival at the airport. We were visiting my wife's family in Sicily, so there was much coordination for pickup in Cantania - no way we were going to miss the flight on our own due to our own tardiness.

Yes, we are U.S citizens and reside there. Does that change the regulations in any way?

It is very frustrating because the Vueling staff at the airport and the corporate staff could not care less about the situation. The call I received from Vueling was on September 14th. No replies to call or e-mails since then.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We arrived at the airport 3 hours prior to flight time for check-in. We, with about 25 other passengers, were held at check-in with very evasive explanations ranging from weather (sunny and hot that day), overbooking, and total weight of the aircraft. The multiple stories were very confusing and seemed shady, especially as we compared notes with other passengers. The aircraft did indeed depart - albeit several hours late and without what I would estimate to be 25-30 passengers.
If the temperatures were too hot that may have restricted the take-off weight requiring a reduction in passenger numbers. You certainly should have been given a real explanation, and you are due compensation if you arrived at the airport 3 hours prior to departure.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If the temperatures were too hot that may have restricted the take-off weight requiring a reduction in passenger numbers. You certainly should have been given a real explanation, and you are due compensation if you arrived at the airport 3 hours prior to departure.
I agree unless it was due to circumstances beyond the control of the airline.

What exactly did the rejection say the reason was for not honoring the claim? Many airlines turn claims down as a routine matter and you have to continue to fight

You can appeal and there are companies that will do it for you. Read this and take action- I think you should appeal:

https://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-eu261/#services

Sep 19, 2015
I appreciate the prompt reply! See my response to the moderator - multiple stories from Vueling as to why we were denied boarding, but it was NOT due to late arrival at the airport. We were visiting my wife's family in Sicily, so there was much coordination for pickup in Cantania - no way we were going to miss the flight on our own due to our own tardiness.

Yes, we are U.S citizens and reside there. Does that change the regulations in any way?

It is very frustrating because the Vueling staff at the airport and the corporate staff could not care less about the situation. The call I received from Vueling was on September 14th. No replies to call or e-mails since then.
DanBran EU residents have more consumer protection agencies that can help their citizens which is why I asked. But the services are only for the residents.

Veuling has a terrible reputation. A friend ended up being booked on a flight that was a BA codeshare and we marveled at the fact that she and her luggage actually arrived on time.

20 some passengers is a lot. And 3 hours for a domestic flight out of FLR should be adequate as it is a small airport.

It sounds as if they have not denied the claim and it is just lost in Veuling limbo.

From anecdotal reports Veuling takes months to resolve complaints — given the time that has passed I would write a polite letter to the first contact, wait a week, move up and if no response in two weeks go to the regulators.

Good luck and I am hoping that you get a positive resolution and let us know.

Nov 17, 2018
I agree unless it was due to circumstances beyond the control of the airline.

What exactly did the rejection say the reason was for not honoring the claim? Many airlines turn claims down as a routine matter and you have to continue to fight

You can appeal and there are companies that will do it for you. Read this and take action- I think you should appeal:

https://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-eu261/#services
Just to be clear, Vueling has not sent me any correspondence rejecting the claim. I simply have no reply at all after almost 4 months. I have filed a claim in the past with Icelandair regarding a significant delay and they processed the claim very quickly and professionally . Perhaps that experience has set my expectations too high?