VRBO home owner gets fraudulent chargeback from customer

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 4, 2018
Hello,

I require your help with a two chargebacks. There was a guest stayed but homeandaway is asking for a chargeback. I know I can win this and fight it but require some tips and who to connect with?

I really appreciate your help,

Jack

Moved by a moderator from this thread to a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2018
I have two of these which is ridiculous. Let me know what other details you require.

Chargeback Reason Code: 10.4

We are contacting you today to inform you that a chargeback has been issued by a guest who made a payment to you. The card holder is claiming that he/she did not authorize or participate in the transaction in question.
A Chargeback happens when a cardholder disputes a charge on his/her credit card through their issuing bank. The full or partial transaction amount is immediately withdrawn from the merchant’s account and deposited in the cardholder account in the event of a chargeback dispute.
Chargebacks are rare but unfortunately do happen from time to time. However, we have a dedicated and knowledgeable team to assist you should you choose to dispute this Chargeback.
If you wish to proceed with a dispute of the chargeback, we may be able to do so by gathering some of the documents mentioned below. Please be aware that this matter is time sensitive. Consequently, we do need to receive all requested documents by 12 December 2018.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have two of these which is ridiculous. Let me know what other details you require.

Chargeback Reason Code: 10.4

We are contacting you today to inform you that a chargeback has been issued by a guest who made a payment to you. The card holder is claiming that he/she did not authorize or participate in the transaction in question.
A Chargeback happens when a cardholder disputes a charge on his/her credit card through their issuing bank. The full or partial transaction amount is immediately withdrawn from the merchant’s account and deposited in the cardholder account in the event of a chargeback dispute.
Chargebacks are rare but unfortunately do happen from time to time. However, we have a dedicated and knowledgeable team to assist you should you choose to dispute this Chargeback.
If you wish to proceed with a dispute of the chargeback, we may be able to do so by gathering some of the documents mentioned below. Please be aware that this matter is time sensitive. Consequently, we do need to receive all requested documents by 12 December 2018.
Did this guest stay in your VRBO property?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@cmonhomeandaway How do you validate the charge? This charge back reason would be for someone who is saying that they didn't stay there (ie stolen credit card).

What documents are they looking for? How do you hand off the keys?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
EDIT>. @johnbakeri - I see you posted while I was typing away. We are mostly on the same track.

I’m going to guess that You are being scammed, either by your cleaner or some crafty guests.
I only have one renter experience but, the owner met us at the door at check in and required us to show our driver licenses. This was disclosed as a necessary step ahead of time so we were aware this was going to happen. It seemed like a smart move, verify the identity of your guests.
Either the CC owners are lying by claiming the charge was unauthorized or someone else got ahold of their CC info.
Either way, unless you can prove exactly who checked in, you are probably going to be out of luck.
This would be a great time to either hire someone to verify the identies of your guests or maybe install some cameras (if that is even legal.). I’m not sure who would go about viewing the video footage and comparing the images to the actual cardholders. Sounds too complicated for the bank and I’m not sure the police would take it that far. They don’t really ‘investigate’ small, white collar crime like this, in my experience.
Guess you could hire a PI. Tum ta tum dum
Do you have some business insurance that would cover these losses?

Dec 4, 2018
It is definitely nothing to do with my cleaner. What the guest is saying that I sent checkin instructions not to them but its there word to the credit card companies. Someone definintely stayed there both times. I haven't gotten anywhere with the charge back team yet.

@johnbaker I provide them a keypad code upon there arrival and when they insta book which I always tell them to inquire first to see about availability, they accept my agreement and then get access to suite where they find the keys and everything else for checkin instructions. What it comes down to is that a guest stayed there both times and I feel that I should be getting this money for the chargebacks. This is in the platform and they should flag those people if the card was stolen. Thoughts and who do I need to connect with on an executive level at VRBO?

Jack

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
It is definitely nothing to do with my cleaner. What the guest is saying that I sent checkin instructions not to them but its there word to the credit card companies. Someone definintely stayed there both times. I haven't gotten anywhere with the charge back team yet.

@johnbaker I provide them a keypad code upon there arrival and when they insta book which I always tell them to inquire first to see about availability, they accept my agreement and then get access to suite where they find the keys and everything else for checkin instructions. What it comes down to is that a guest stayed there both times and I feel that I should be getting this money for the chargebacks. This is in the platform and they should flag those people if the card was stolen. Thoughts and who do I need to connect with on an executive level at VRBO?

Jack
Have you contested this through the normal VRBO dispute resolution process?
Having an unattended check-in process leaves you vulnerable to this type of occurrence on a regular basis. If you continue to rent your property you should strongly consider a check-in process with a real person.

Dec 4, 2018
No other platforms this has happened with so there is no option for a in person checkin. That is why I change the code remotely after every guest leaves. I'm in Eastern Canada and condo is in Western Canada. When I moved, I set it up that way that I could arm system and change codes remotely.

What is the best way to contest it? I have sent screenshots and they push back and say it is not enough which is ridiculous.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
No other platforms this has happened with so there is no option for a in person checkin. That is why I change the code remotely after every guest leaves. I'm in Eastern Canada and condo is in Western Canada. When I moved, I set it up that way that I could arm system and change codes remotely.

What is the best way to contest it? I have sent screenshots and they push back and say it is not enough which is ridiculous.
Screenshots of what? Not so ridiculous from this vantage point.
Credit card info is stolen - how many x/minute?
You are wide open for this kind of fraud given that you send an access code to the person who provides you a credit card number.
Consider this:
Two couples decide to take a vacation. One set finds a suitable accommodation which works like yours does, no identity verification, ever.
They use someone else’s credit card info, possibly a card belonging to the other couple.
They all go and spend the week. Later, the owner of the CC contacts their bank to say they didn’t authorize the charge. Technically speaking, maybe they didn’t. Maybe they just happened to leave their credit card in full view of couple #1. It’s fraud all the same.
Or maybe whoever booked it and used it is just plain lying to the bank and they booked it and used it with their own credit card.
But how are you going to prove who booked it and/or who stayed there? By your own admission, you sent someone an access code. You don’t really know who that person is.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

What can you provide them to prove there was an occupant in your property? That is the basic issue since you have no one who checked in a guest.
Without proof of an actual occupent, you have an uphill battle. You can appeal using the contacts above.