Vrbo and SoBe rentals

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 18, 2019
2 couples rented a condo in Nashville for the shriners convention. We rented the unit in March for July 1 to 5th, 2019. They pulled the whole amount out right off the bat which I thought was weird but we really wanted this place because it was right down town and right across from the convention hotel. we loaded up and drove the 12 hours to get there just to get a email from Sobe the day we were to check in. this email told us that the guy had just pulled his unit, well this left us with no place to stay when we got there. They told us that they would make it right and give us up to $1400 DOLLARS TO HELP US pay for a place to stay. Since their were 2 couples we got 2 motel rooms and came as close to the 1400 as we could, of course we were planning to eat at the condo so didn't plan on the 3 meals a day, the gas to drive 100 miles into town several times a day and then the parking each time. anyway the know that they owe us this money which they figure the total to be 2600.00 but the say they have lost the credit card number and they said that is the only way they can refund our money, I have told them that I will give them the card number and they say THEY CANT DO THAT. I HAVE CALLED EVERYDAY SINCE WE GOT HOME, I HAVE SENT THEM EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ASKED FOR and they will still not refund my money. Can you help me, they know my nimber by heart when I call and I am getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over, WE WILL SEND YOUR MESSAGE TO THE BILLING DEPARTMENT AND THEY WILL EITHER CALL OF EMAIL YOU, WE I HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS 1000 TIME AND IT NEVER HAPPENS.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Did you pay through VRBO's own website? If you did not, VRBO can't help you. Edit: DO NOT GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER TO ANYONE OVER THE TELEPHONE.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
2 couples rented a condo in Nashville for the shriners convention. We rented the unit in March for July 1 to 5th, 2019. They pulled the whole amount out right off the bat which I thought was weird but we really wanted this place because it was right down town and right across from the convention hotel. we loaded up and drove the 12 hours to get there just to get a email from Sobe the day we were to check in. this email told us that the guy had just pulled his unit, well this left us with no place to stay when we got there. They told us that they would make it right and give us up to $1400 DOLLARS TO HELP US pay for a place to stay. Since their were 2 couples we got 2 motel rooms and came as close to the 1400 as we could, of course we were planning to eat at the condo so didn't plan on the 3 meals a day, the gas to drive 100 miles into town several times a day and then the parking each time. anyway the know that they owe us this money which they figure the total to be 2600.00 but the say they have lost the credit card number and they said that is the only way they can refund our money, I have told them that I will give them the card number and they say THEY CANT DO THAT. I HAVE CALLED EVERYDAY SINCE WE GOT HOME, I HAVE SENT THEM EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ASKED FOR and they will still not refund my money. Can you help me, they know my nimber by heart when I call and I am getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over, WE WILL SEND YOUR MESSAGE TO THE BILLING DEPARTMENT AND THEY WILL EITHER CALL OF EMAIL YOU, WE I HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS 1000 TIME AND IT NEVER HAPPENS.
Oh dear, this is a real problem. I doubt if "they" are going to give you any money. The entity to whom you made the original payment needs to refund it. I have no idea what you mean by "they pulled the whole amount right off the bat". What terms did you agree to? How were those terms violated? Who are you calling every day? If they "lost your CC number" and won't allow you to give it to them for a refund, I believe you're in the middle of some kind of scam. This is a most convoluted post and I hope some of my colleagues are wiser than I so you can get some advice on how to proceed.

Aug 18, 2019
according to the HOME AWAY site where you book vacation rentals, you are suppose to put down a deposit and then latter on you will pay the other part. I have friends who have used this site for vacation rentals and never have had a problem. we are about ready to get a lawyer but someone said to as Elliot first

Aug 18, 2019
Was this booked through VRBO? Is SoBe the management company? Was VRBO contacted? Was the original payment refunded?
this was booked through Home away or VRBO and I guess that SoBe is a management company located in NASHVILLE that post rentals with VRBO. No payment has be refunded

Aug 18, 2019
we paid through the web sight VRBO and yes we did call them after we got the email, the phone # they gave and email and the acknowledged that the owner of the unit backed out and that they could not leave us stranded and would help us find other lodging somewhere or we could find or own and send them the reciepts. It is very hard to tell the difference between the 2 because sometimes you are talking to one and the next day the other. we never saw the rental, they emailed me this news when we were 30 miles out of town after driving 11 hours.

Aug 18, 2019
someone suggest I file a dispute with my credit card, I tried but I paid for it in March and this all didn't happen till JUly. They wont file a dispute that far back. I have filed with Attorney Generals of Tennessee and Texas, VRBO is in Austin Texas and SoBe is in Nashville as far as I can find out( they post no address and the phone is to people houses who work for them

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
we paid through the web sight VRBO and yes we did call them after we got the email, the phone # they gave and email and the acknowledged that the owner of the unit backed out and that they could not leave us stranded and would help us find other lodging somewhere or we could find or own and send them the reciepts. It is very hard to tell the difference between the 2 because sometimes you are talking to one and the next day the other. we never saw the rental, they emailed me this news when we were 30 miles out of town after driving 11 hours.
I don't understand this. Why didn't they simply find you another rental?

Aug 18, 2019
They said they would try to find us something, but they gave us a choice of finding something ourselves and giving us up to 1400 dollars or waiting to see if they could find us something they could find something for us, they stated at this late hour they didn't know what the could find if anything,. understand this was around midnight the night before we were to get the condo

Aug 18, 2019
it is confussing and getting more involved, really all we want is what we paid for the condo and what they said they would give us for our rooms, which totals 2600 and Sobe say they owe us this much but the problem comes on how to get us the money

Sep 19, 2015
look into the credit card dispute again. Even though you paid in March the accommodation was for July and the accommodation was not provided in July

This is similar to buying a ticket 3 months in advance and airline goes bankrupt.

Mar 23, 2015
Ok, first of all, take a deep breath and organize your thoughts. You keep saying "they" say this and "they" are telling you that. But we have no idea who "they" are because you use it interchangeably for VRBO and SoBe. WHO are you talking to with regards to getting your refund? Who have you been talking to and giving your CC info to? Also, why? Isn't the VRBO system online? Contact your CC and file a dispute. Yes, they *say* 60 days, but that is a guideline. The CC company has flexibility and can make the call to give you back the money if the service itself wasn't provided beyond that time frame, but your narrative is all over the place. You need to sit down and write it out in a clear, concise format that is easy to follow with dates, amounts, to whom you spoke etc... Good Luck, you've been treated poorly and you deserve your money back and then some!