Voucher from SAS Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 12, 2021
I am posting this in regards to a flight that I did cancel on March 18, 2020. The WHO organization declared a global pandemic on March 11, 2020.
President Trump banned all travel the Europe on March 12, 2020. There would be no possible way that we would have been able to travel to Norway on March 29, 2020 and return to the US on April 5. Even our excursion company in Tromso canceled our excursions and refunded the money.
Norwegian Airlines also issued refunds.
We were issued vouchers from SAS in the amount of $1751,which apparently are valid until May 1,2021.
At this time I do not see that travel will be happening between the US & Norway by that date. I feel that I should be refunded my ticket money at this point. I know I cancelled the flight but it appeared they were not going to cancel the flight because of the pandemic.
Has anyone had any experience with this situation ?

--

May 1, 2018
I know I cancelled the flight but it appeared they were not going to cancel the flight because of the pandemic.
Normally being proactive in life is a good thing. Unfortunately this is the exception to the rule. When you cancelled you did so under the existing cancellation policies - namely that there are no refunds if you cancel. Many airlines have have even tried to block refunds for flights when the airline themselves cancelled. This is in direct violation of federal law and they know it, but they tried to keep prevent passengers from getting refunds anyway. That's how badly they're trying to cling to cash. Airlines have been operating at a loss for the past 12 months and are in full blown cash preservation mode so they are generally not willing to provide goodwill refunds.

All that said, you can escalate this in writing using the information provided in the following links:
Resolving Complaints - composing and sending effective emails
Company Contacts - SAS contacts. Don't email the CEO or all contacts at once. Work your way up the corporate ladder one at a time.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I am guessing this was a non refundable fare. Remember Pre Covid this meant no refunds for any reason. Instead of nothing , as the airlines could have enforced no refunds for those that canceled tickets before the airlines canceled flights. So you are ahead of the game getting at least a voucher. Remember it is not the airlines fault Covid hit, not their fault countries told their citizens not to travel, nor is it their fault that travel bans were instituted. We are all in this together and there will be very few winners ( OK those that bought ZOOM at $1.25 a share will do pretty good). I doubt you will be able to convert your credit into a refund , very few have been able to do this. You might want to try and see if you can get an extension into 2022 instead.
There is not loss in trying but go in to it with very low expectations. Also remember you are in a big boat with millions also trying to convert a credit they do not think that can use into a credit and a lot of airlines that make less money in profit then you do ( broke broke broke).

Reactions: Skippy and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am posting this in regards to a flight that I did cancel on March 18, 2020. The WHO organization declared a global pandemic on March 11, 2020.
President Trump banned all travel the Europe on March 12, 2020. There would be no possible way that we would have been able to travel to Norway on March 29, 2020 and return to the US on April 5. Even our excursion company in Tromso canceled our excursions and refunded the money.
Norwegian Airlines also issued refunds.
We were issued vouchers from SAS in the amount of $1751,which apparently are valid until May 1,2021.
At this time I do not see that travel will be happening between the US & Norway by that date. I feel that I should be refunded my ticket money at this point. I know I cancelled the flight but it appeared they were not going to cancel the flight because of the pandemic.
Has anyone had any experience with this situation ?

--
What will be effective for you is a request to extend the credit. Thousands of travellers are in your position. Non-ref tix are not refundable unless the airline cancels the flight, and some of those people aren't getting refunds either. People who do qualify for refunds are waiting months and months. Airlines have little revenue, overhead expenses continue, and the people who still have jobs at SAS can't get into work or are trying to work from home. . Every corporation's first priority is to remain solvent. Email SAS and ask for an extension of your credit. If you are initially rejected, use our Company Contacts to escalate your request. Be polite, persistent and patient .. good luck.

Mar 12, 2021
I have now had 4 email responses from SAS Airline regarding my vouchers. The most recent was a response to my request for the possibility of an extension to the expiration date. I do not foresee travel happening in the near future to Norway.
The response from SAS was

" Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear the inconvenience caused to you, please accept our apologies on this.

Please be informed that voucher extension is not possible as this voucher is non-refundable.

Thank you for choosing SAS. "

This really saddens me . We were looking forward to eventually traveling to Norway.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm not sure if you've followed our procedures or not. Generally you write to Customer Service with your request. After two weeks use our Company Contacts to escalate your request, waiting one week between submissions. CS people have no power to do anything, but you need to start with them. There's no reason for them to deny your extension, your job is to convince an executive to help you. Be concise, polite, patient, persistent and appreciative. All employees of travel providers have been slogging through depressing days trying to deal with the ramifications of the virus lockdown and I'm sure they're all completely exhausted.

Mar 12, 2021
I have since written also to one of the Company Contacts on this site and did receive a response. This is what SAS has responded with:

"I have extended your voucher with number ************ with 3 months.

The voucher can be used for payment until 01aug21 and travel can be 350 days ahead of that date."

I do not want to sound dumb but what does that actually mean, can be used 350 days ahead of that date ?
Would appreciate any help.

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
I have since written also to one of the Company Contacts on this site and did receive a response. This is what SAS has responded with:

The voucher can be used for payment until 01aug21 and travel can be 350 days ahead of that date."

I do not want to sound dumb but what does that actually mean, can be used 350 days ahead of that date ?
That means that you have to book your travel by 01 August of this year, but you can book it for any time between now and about 15 July 2022.

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas

The way I read it, it means travel must be completed 350 days after Aug. 1, 2021.

Mar 12, 2021
It mean you must book your tickets by August 1st and your all flights must be within 350 days after the booking date.
WOW that is great news ! Thank you very much.That was how I interpreted it but wanted to make sure.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I am not sure. The email says:

"until 01aug21 and travel can be 350 days ahead of that date"​

Which to me means you must before August 1st. I suggest you reply to the email to be sure . . .

Reactions: jsn55
May 1, 2018
I am not sure. The email says:

"until 01aug21 and travel can be 350 days ahead of that date"​

Which to me means you must before August 1st. I suggest you reply to the email to be sure . . .
Seems like a translation issue to me since 350 days before Aug 01, 2021 is well in the past (August 16, 2020) so that would not make sense. "Ahead" does mean further forward in time so I can see someone making that mistake if they're thinking about what they're going to write in one language and typing in another.

Reactions: Floridiana

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Using the word "ahead" makes little sense in this context. I would never assume anything by interpretatation received from an airline, I'd want it confirmed that "ahead" means "after". You do not need to attempt to use your credit to find out that it won't be honored. Just calculate what the date would be if we are right and ask them to confirm this in writing.

• Love
Reactions: VoR61

Rav

May 23, 2021
A word of warning... which I dont think SAS always (if ever) explain to you. They certainly didnt to me but it is in their small print. Let's say you book your trip to Norway before your vouchers expire (on Aug 1st, 2021) for next year in June, 2022 say. Fine. But then, lets say SAS cancel your flights and rebook you to something you cant manage and you think well actually, I cant go on this trip now. Its the airlines fault in any case as it isnt what you booked. So you ask for a refund. They say fine. They then refund your trip to the vouchers you used to pay for the trip. BUT, the voucher(s) you used to pay for the trip expired on Aug 1st, 2021. So guess what happens? You get NOTHING and your voucher credit is VOID and out of date.
I think you can circumvent being 'snookered' as I would say in this way, by NOT asking for a refund but instead, ask for a(nother) voucher - which I think would have a new 12 month validity. I asked this question to SAS in a chat yesterday but they did not address it. DO NOT ask for a refund thinking they will send cash. If you paid with a voucher they will refund you with a voucher. If that refund to a voucher is our of date you are [email protected], and they dont appear to explain this to you.

Another SAS issue which I am currently dealing with through their (yet to be helpful) customer service is about their 'Check the Status of your Refund' facility. https://www.flysas.com/en/refundstatus
I had a flight I cancelled (some routing change by SAS which meant I could no longer go so their fault) and asked to be refunded 30th Nov 2020. I never heard anything. No confirmatory mail or note that you are about to be refunded like I have done for multiple cash refunds from them - often several months late. Mid March I checked with the refund status link above and it said, "refund in progress". I checked again yesterday and it said the same. "refund in progress" plus the usual blurb about refunds taking much longer than usual. But I had to contact SAS yesterday about something else and I asked about my 6 month wait for this particular refund. They said it had been taken care of on 2nd Dec 2020 and the refund was a refund of the full amount back onto the vouchers I used to pay for that flight. (Which have now expired.)
If you are a frequent flier like me and my family, I've already had/used 25 SAS vouchers maybe more. I've no idea which ones they reloaded with credit! They certainly did not tell me.
I have asked for a new voucher to be re-issued for the flight amount with new 12 month valifity as their "Check the Status of your Refund' is faulty for those who have refunds back to vouchers (I am guessing. Maybe it is just me. Would be interesting if others have had the same problem.)

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
When you book a ticket with a refund and either the airlines or you cancel the flight you will always get refunded in KIND. Which for those booking with a voucher would be the same exact voucher you booked with. This is not a SAS thing but a most airline thing.

Maybe you can ask them to extend your vouchers. Many airlines are doing this as Covid travel problems are lasting longer then expected.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
When you book a ticket with a refund and either the airlines or you cancel the flight you will always get refunded in KIND. Which for those booking with a voucher would be the same exact voucher you booked with. This is not a SAS thing but a most airline thing.

Maybe you can ask them to extend your vouchers. Many airlines are doing this as Covid travel problems are lasting longer then expected.
I agree, the 'refund' is always backto the method of payment. Lots of people are in your position. Get those vouchers extended ... it should not be difficult.