Voice search on Dish no longer works w/o Google Assistant

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 31, 2018
I am disabled. I got dish because of two features that dish advertises in all their ads - the Hopper and voice search remote. Imagine our surprise, when we turned on our TVs and discovered that our voice remote is no longer working unless we had a Google assistant. We were not informed of this. All press releases about this indicated that it would be available and it would be an option. Nowhere did it say the voice search remote will no longer work if you don’t have a Google assistant. Did they send us a letter? Did they send us an email? No. We turned on our TVs and found out the reason we got the freaking service no longer works. It is fine to offer this as an option. It is fine to offer a new remote that has a Google assistant button for those people who want it. For the disabled who really needed this, this was a really awful thing to do. This is not what I signed up for this is not what I’m paying over $100 a month for. And it’s going to cost me money to drop and switch. This was not my agreement. I switched to get a hopper, a voice search remote, and a specific channel lineup. They have change the terms and never told us until we turned on our televisions. This was wrong.

Dec 31, 2018
Sorry. The window insists that you share your info. There’s a No Thanks button but then it won’t work. Customer Service said, “Just agree to everything. What does it matter.” She then took control of my box to click Accept to everything. I asked her what she was doing. I had specifically stated that I did not want to share my info. I should have the option of declining that. She said, “It won’t work otherwise. If you want out, you have to agree to everything and then later on you will be able to negate it.” Huh? That sounded fishy. Multiple reps and supervisors said the same thing. You HAD to agree to share your info with Google.

Jan 11, 2019
Sorry. The window insists that you share your info. There’s a No Thanks button but then it won’t work. Customer Service said, “Just agree to everything. What does it matter.” She then took control of my box to click Accept to everything. I asked her what she was doing. I had specifically stated that I did not want to share my info. I should have the option of declining that. She said, “It won’t work otherwise. If you want out, you have to agree to everything and then later on you will be able to negate it.” Huh? That sounded fishy. Multiple reps and supervisors said the same thing. You HAD to agree to share your info with Google.
Sorry, yes. Unfortunately that's the world we live in today. Everytime I want to download an app on my phone they demand access to almost everything. I saw on the news today that Facebook is now reading people's private messages. I cringe but left Facebook long ago for privacy reasons. I wish I had an answer for you. You might just end up with a regular remote if all else fails. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2015
I share your concern about the sharing, but whenever I access "the net", which includes satellite, I automatically expect that my activity will be monitored. Worst case, they will know what channels, timers, etc. you have viewed/configured. But I expect they already are, so I would consider this a minimal risk . . .

Dec 31, 2018
I share your concern about the sharing, but whenever I access "the net", which includes satellite, I automatically expect that my activity will be monitored. Worst case, they will know what channels, timers, etc. you have viewed/configured. But I expect they already are, so I would consider this a minimal risk . . .
You CHOOSE to download an app. That’s a choice. Dish is NOT giving a choice. Do this or what you use won’t work.