virgin airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 12, 2018
Hello,
My name is Sarah Blake. I am an 18 year old college student who recently purchased an economy classic ticket through Virgin Atlantic airlines. My ticket was meant for an 8 week Au Pair trip to Italy, however, when the trip was cancelled due to family circumstances, I had to ask for a refund for my ticket. Virgin Atlantic responded by giving us 200 dollars of a refund out of an 1105 dollar ticket. I should also mention that my flight was meant to leave May 29.They have informed me the ticket is non refundable under any circumstances and that they gave me some of the taxes on my ticket back as a partial refund. The thing is, nowhere was it clearly mentioned when purchasing the ticket that it was nonrefundable. In my receipt under terms and conditions it was never even said. My mom even went on the website to see and when she tried to purchase an economy classic ticket, nowhere did it say that it was nonrefundable. There are 6 months until my flight and I see no reason why they could not resell my seat, so why is it nonrefundable?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you book, the booking page tells you if the fare is refundable or not and also allows you to search my ticket class

I just did a mock booking and the information is right there.

The least expensive seats are always non refundable. However, some airlines will give you a credit with them for the balance less a cancellation fee to use within a year of when you bought the ticket.

Did they mention that? If not, call them and ask.

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
Economy Classic refers to the seating and amenities. By default when searching it is a non refundable fare unless on ticks the box asking for a refundable fare -- when booking on a computer one has to look at the fare conditions and one will find language similar to the following which is under PENALTIES for a mock booking I did for JFL to LHR for May 2019 :

CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - RESERVATION CANCELLED PRIOR TO THE ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FLIGHT RETAINS TICKET VALUE/LESS APPLICABLE CANCELLATION FEE IN CHANGE PARAGRAPH UP TO ONE YEAR FROM THE ORIGINAL DATE OF TICKET ISSUE

Now the difference in fare for a non-refundable flight JFK to LHR -- $684.13 for a fully refundable fare for the exact same flights on the same day is $3,353.13

One pays more for a refundable fare -- in the case of the mock booking I did the difference is over $2,500.

It does not matter if they resell the seat. You accepted a lower fare with restrictions rather than pay thousands of dollars more for a fully refundable ticket.

Attachments

Apr 10, 2017
I did a mock booking for an Economy Classic on the Virgin Atlantic site. In the "Flight Summary" page you can see "Fare conditions". This is where it tells you about any fees associated with cancelling the ticket.

It's possible the flight itinerary will change enough to warrant a full refund. With so many months until the trip you might as well wait and see if that happens.

Dec 12, 2018
Dec 12, 2018
When you book, the booking page tells you if the fare is refundable or not and also allows you to search my ticket class

I just did a mock booking and the information is right there.

The least expensive seats are always non refundable. However, some airlines will give you a credit with them for the balance less a cancellation fee to use within a year of when you bought the ticket.

Did they mention that? If not, call them and ask.
they won't give a credit unless I pay 300 dollars

Aug 30, 2015
Hello Sarah. Was your ticket called "economy light", "economy classic" or some other name? They list restrictions under the "terms and conditions" I believe the "risk free cancellation period" is 24 hours from when you purchased the ticket as long as it is at least 7 days prior to the flight, which in your case, it was. Sadly, tickets are in many cases, non refundable...

1. You will not be able to change or refund your Economy Light ticket after the Risk-Free Cancellation period. Most Economy Classic tickets are also non refundable but may be changed (fare conditions are available on flight summary page, change fees may apply).

Sep 19, 2015
I did a mock booking for an Economy Classic on the Virgin Atlantic site. In the "Flight Summary" page you can see "Fare conditions". This is where it tells you about any fees associated with cancelling the ticket.

It's possible the flight itinerary will change enough to warrant a full refund. With so many months until the trip you might as well wait and see if that happens.
ADM I think it is too late for that, it sounds as if the ticket has already been canceled and taxes refunded.

Mar 14, 2018
Normally I agree that people are responsible for knowing what they are buying. But Virgin Atlantic seems to actively try to hide the cancellation terms of their tickets. When I did a mock booking, the only time it showed up was in a small "fare conditions" link on the right side of the page between "Fare Breakdown" and "Currency Calculator". The text that Christina referred to can be found buried on this page amidst a bunch of gobbledegook. (I've highlighted it below so you can see how buried it is.)

While travel agents and experienced travelers may already understand how this works, a new traveler will not and it is beyond unreasonable to expect them to find it buried the way VA does.

Sarah, I suggest you write Virgin (use the contacts that should be somewhere on this site) and ask them to provide you with a credit that you can use on another flight. If they refuse, you can file a complaint with the Department of Transportation and claim their method of disclosure constitutes an unfair or deceptive practice under 49USC41712.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
You'll find out weight limits for checked in luggage below.
Fare not guaranteed until payment is made and accepted.
Passenger name changes are not permitted.
If the fare permits date changes, additional charges may be incurred depending on seasonality, availability and any applicable rule conditions still being met.
You may cancel your booking without penalty within 24 hours of making your reservation as long as that reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight's scheduled departure. Please contact the contact centre to cancel the booking.
Administration fees may apply in the event of cancellation.
Changes are not permitted to be made to flights from 0000 local time on the same day of departure.
You may cancel your booking without penalty within 24 hours of making your reservation as long as that reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight's scheduled departure. Please contact the contact centre to cancel the booking.
Please note. If the fare conditions differ for your outward and return flights, the most restrictive condition applies.
Departs SFO Arrives LONSFO > LON
Fare Code - QL2K47M2
Voluntary Changes
ORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM - IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF VS INTERNATIONAL FARES CHARGE EUR 150.00 FOR REISSUE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FARE COMPONENT 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. AF/AZ/DL/KL/VS Q- FARE FAMILY GOVERNED BY SAME RULE IS USED 4. WHEN SAME FARE USED - ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET EXCEPT ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL - OTHERWISE ALL PROVISIONS MUST BE MET 5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FARE COMPONENT 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. AF/AZ/DL/KL/VS FARES ARE USED 4. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS TKT 5. WHEN SAME FARE USED - ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET EXCEPT ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL - OTHERWISE ALL PROVISIONS MUST BE MET 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 2. CHANGE IS BEFORE ORIGINAL SCHEDULED FLIGHT 3. AF/AZ/DL/KL/VS Q- FARE FAMILY GOVERNED BY SAME RULE IS USED 4. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 2. AF/AZ/DL/KL/VS FARES ARE USED 3. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS TKT 4. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - REPRICE USING CURRENT FARES - ONLY BOOKING CODE CHANGES PERMITTED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. CHANGE IS BEFORE ORIGINAL SCHEDULED FLIGHT 4. SAME TRAVEL DATES 5. AF/AZ/DL/KL/VS FARES ARE USED 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE SUBTRACT RESIDUAL FROM THE PENALTY THEN ADD-COLLECT/REFUND - REFUND VIA MCO ENDORSEMENT BOX- HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS. OR - AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF VS INTERNATIONAL FARES CHARGE EUR 150.00 FOR REISSUE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FARE COMPONENT 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 4. AF/AZ/DL/KL/VS Q- FARE FAMILY GOVERNED BY SAME RULE IS USED 5. WHEN SAME FARE USED - ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET EXCEPT ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL - OTHERWISE ALL PROVISIONS MUST BE MET 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FARE COMPONENT 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 4. AF/AZ/DL/KL/VS FARES ARE USED 5. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS TKT 6. WHEN SAME FARE USED - ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET EXCEPT ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL - OTHERWISE ALL PROVISIONS MUST BE MET 7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - CHANGES NOT PERMITTED/REFUND TKT-ANY REMAINING AMT WILL APPLY TO NEW TKT WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE SUBTRACT RESIDUAL FROM THE PENALTY THEN ADD-COLLECT/REFUND- REFUND VIA MCO ENDORSEMENT BOX- HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS.
Day/time Application
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED SUN THROUGH WED ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. INBOUND - PERMITTED TUE THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Seasonality
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED 24SEP 18 THROUGH 13DEC 18 OR 24DEC 18 THROUGH 10APR 19 OR 22APR 19 THROUGH 09MAY 19 OR 30SEP 19 THROUGH 12DEC 19 OR 24DEC 19 THROUGH 31MAR 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. INBOUND - PERMITTED 20SEP 18 THROUGH 28DEC 18 OR 09JAN 19 THROUGH 13APR 19 OR 24APR 19 THROUGH 16MAY 19 OR 26SEP 19 THROUGH 14DEC 19 OR 24DEC 19 THROUGH 27DEC 19 OR 08JAN 20 THROUGH 31MAR 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Flight Application
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING DL FLIGHTS 1000 THROUGH 1047 DL FLIGHTS 6467 THROUGH 7299 DL FLIGHTS 7349 THROUGH 9999 ANY DL FLIGHT OPERATED BY AM ANY DL FLIGHT OPERATED BY AS ANY DL FLIGHT OPERATED BY WS. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY VS FLIGHT ANY BE FLIGHT ANY EI FLIGHT. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN NORTH AMERICA THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY VS FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY VX FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN EUROPE AND AREA 1 ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY VS FLIGHT OPERATED BY VS ANY VS FLIGHT OPERATED BY DL.
Advance Reservations and Ticketing
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 72 HOURS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.
Minimum Stay
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Maximum Stay
TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 6 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
Stopovers
UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT AT USD 800.00 EACH.
Transfers
3 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE 1 FREE IN UNITED KINGDOM IN EACH DIRECTION 2 FREE IN THE UNITED STATES IN EACH DIRECTION FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
Combinability
DOUBLE OPEN JAWS NOT PERMITTED. END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED APPLICABLE ADD-ON CONSTRUCTION IS ADDRESSED IN MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS - CATEGORY 23. OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS -TO FORM SINGLE OPEN JAWS. MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT. -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS -TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS EXCEPT FOR AROUND-THE-WORLD FARES. PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER KL/AF/OK/DL/ AS/QX/ZK/3M/VS IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF IPRA - USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 AND GUAM-AREA 2 VIA ATLANTIC IPRAI - BETWEEN THE USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 VIA ATLANTIC IPRSAA2 - BETWEEN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE-AREA 2 VIA ATLANTIC IPRSAA3 - BETWEEN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE-AREA 3 VIA ATLANTIC. COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER DL/KL/AF/VS IN RULE 2222/4444 IN TARIFF ATDLR - BETWEEN AREA 1-AREA 2/3 AND GUAM-AREA 2 OR ANY RULE IN TARIFF FBRINPV - BETWEEN USA/CA-AREA 1/2/3 OR RULE 2222/4444 IN TARIFF TAPVR - BETWEEN AREA 1-AREA 2/3 AND GUAM-AREA 2. NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT- BWI-WAS FLL-MIA OAK-SFO OAK-SJC SFO-SJC LAX-ONT LAX-BUR LAX-LGB LAX-SNA ONT-BUR ONT-LGB ONT-SNA BUR-LGB BUR-SNA LGB-SNA NYC-EWR
Surcharges
IF INFANT 0-1 WITHOUT A SEAT. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR TRAVEL PER DIRECTION.
Sales Restrictions
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON VS OR DL. TICKETS MAY NOT BE ISSUED BY PTA. NOTE - IN THE EVENT OF DEATH OF A PASSENGER EN ROUTE TICKET VALIDITY OF PERSONS ACCOMPANYING THE PASSENGER MAY BE EXTENDED FOR UP TO 45 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF DEATH AS EVIDENCED BY A DEATH CERTIFICATE. IN THE EVENT OF DEATH IN THE IMMEDIATE FAMILY OF A PASSENGER WHO HAS COMMENCED TRAVEL THE VALIDITY OF THE PASSENGERS TICKET AND THOSE ACCOMPANYING THEM MAY BE EXTENDED FOR UP TO 45 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF DEATH AS EVIDENCED BY A DEATH CERTIFICATE.
Penalties
ORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM - CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - RESERVATION CANCELLED PRIOR TO THE ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FLIGHT RETAINS TICKET VALUE/LESS APPLICABLE CANCELLATION FEE IN CHANGE PARAGRAPH UP TO ONE YEAR FROM THE ORIGINAL DATE OF TICKET ISSUE. IF THE TICKETED FLT RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED FLT DEPARTURE TIME REBOOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AND TKT HAS NO VALUE. --------- IF EXCHANGING A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET BEFORE DEPARTURE OF OUTBOUND FLIGHT -VALUE OF TICKET LESS THE CHANGE FEE MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF NEW TICKET PRICED AT CURRENT FARES UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS- -IF SAME BOOKING CLASS/SAME RULE- NEW FARE MAY BE LOWER / EQUAL / HIGHER THAN ORIGINAL FARE AND- A.MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF NEW FARE. B.RESERVATION FOR NEW ITINERARY MUST BE MADE AND TICKETS ISSUED NO LATER THAN 1YEAR FROM ISSUE DATE OF TICKET BEING EXCHANGED. C.IF RESULT IS REFUND - REFUND WILL BE IN THE FORM OF NON-REFUNDABLE VOUCHER IF RESULT IS HIGHER- MUST ADD COLLECT DIFFERENCE AT TIME OF REISSUE. -IF DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS- NEW FARE MAY BE EQUAL / HIGHER THAN ORIGINAL FARE AND- A.MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF NEW FARE. B.RESERVATION FOR NEW ITINERARY MUST BE MADE AND TICKETS ISSUED NO LATER THAN 1YEAR FROM ISSUE DATE OF TICKET BEING EXCHANGED. .--- IF EXCHANGING WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET AFTER DEPARTURE OF ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED OUTBOUND FLIGHT- VALUE OF TICKET LESS CHANGE FEE MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF EQUAL / HIGHER FARE UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS- A. RESERVATION FOR NEW ITINERARY MUST BE MADE AND TICKETS ISSUED NO LATER THAN 1YEAR FROM ISSUE DATE OF TICKET BEING EXCHANGED. B. ORIGINAL NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FARE REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE AND MUST BE NOTED IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX. C. IF RESULT IS HIGHER- MUST ADD COLLECT DIFFERENCE AT TIME OF REISSUE. .--- WHEN COMBINING A REFUNDABLE FARE WITH A NONREFUNDABLE FARE- CANCELLATION RULES APPLY BY FARE COMPONENT. FOLLOWING PROVISIONS WILL APPLY- A. AMOUNT PAID ON THE REFUNDABLE FARE COMPONENT WILL BE REFUNDED UPON PAYMENT OF PENALTY AMOUNT IF APPLICABLE. B. AMOUNT PAID ON NONREFUNDABLE FARE COMPONENT WILL NOT BE REFUNDED. .--- DEATH WAIVER MUST BE SUBSTANTIATED BY A VALID MEDICAL/DEATH CERTIFICATE. .--- CANCELLATION FEE DOES NOT APPLY TO INFANTS UNDER 2YEARS OF AGE NOT OCCUPYING A SEAT. .--- LOST TICKET APPLICATION FEE FOR PAPER TICKETS IS USD100.00/CAD100.00 CHANGES BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE EUR 150.00. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY. NOTE - ITINERARIES MAY BE REBOOKED UP TO ONE YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE DATE PROVIDED THE PASSENGER CANCELS THE TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED AT TIME THE RESERVATION IS UPDATED. IF THE TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED FLIGHT DEPARTURE THE CHANGE IS NOT PERMITTED AND THE TICKET HAS NO VALUE. .--- SEE / CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNT IN FARE RULE TO DETERMINE IF APPLICABLE- NO CHANGE FEE IF UNDER 2YEARS OF AGE NOT OCCUPYING A SEAT. .--- A CHANGE IS A ROUTING / DATE/ FLIGHT MODIFICATION. WHEN MORE THAN ONE FARE COMPONENT IS BEING CHANGED THE HIGHEST PENALTY OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS WILL APPLY. .--- TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS MADE. CHANGE FEE PLUS ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE MUST BE COLLECTED AT TIME OF CHANGE OR CHANGE WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. .--- WHEN CHANGE OCCURS ON THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OF THE JOURNEY OR ANY OTHER FARE COMPONENT OF THE JOURNEY FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED APPLYING FARES IN EFFECT ON DATE OF REISSUE AND WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS- -IF SAME BOOKING CLASS/SAME RULE-NEW FARE MAY BE LOWER / EQUAL / HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE AND- A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED. -IF DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS- NEW FARE MAY BE EQUAL / HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE AND- A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED. .--- IF CHANGE DOES NOT OCCUR ON THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OF THE JOURNEY NEW FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED USING FARES IN EFFECT ON PREVIOUS TICKET ISSUE DATE UNDER FOLLOWING CONDITIONS- -IF SAME BOOKING CLASS/SAME RULE- NEW FARE MAY BE LOWER / EQUAL / HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE- A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED. -IF DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS- NEW FARE MAY BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE- A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED. .--- TICKET DOWNGRADE IF A DECREASE IN FARE OCCURS AFTER A TICKET IS PURCHASED AND PRIOR TO TRAVEL OR A NEW FARE FOR WHICH THE PASSENGER QUALIFIES BECOMES EFFECTIVE THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES LESS THE CHANGE FEE WILL BE RETURNED IN THE FORM OF NON-REFUNDABLE VOUCHER PROVIDED- A. NO CHANGE TO DATE /TIME /ORIGIN OR DESTINATION B. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF NEW FARE INCLUDING ADVANCE PURCHASE/MIN STAY/ETC. AFTER DEPARTURE CHARGE EUR 150.00. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY. NOTE - SEE / CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNT IN FARE RULE TO DETERMINE IF APPLICABLE- NO CHANGE FEE IF UNDER 2YEARS OF AGE NOT OCCUPYING A SEAT. .--- TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS MADE. CHANGE FEE PLUS ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE MUST BE COLLECTED AT TIME OF CHANGE OR CHANGE WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. .--- NEW FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED USING FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE AND UNDER FOLLOWING CONDITIONS- -IF SAME BOOKING CLASS/SAME RULE- NEW FARE MAY BE LOWER / EQUAL / HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE AND- A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED. - IF DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS- NEW FARE MAY BE EQUAL / HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE AND- A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH WITH ALL PROVISONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED.
Ticket Endorsements
THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED - NONREF/PENALTY APPLIES - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.
Children Discounts
ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN SAME COMPARTMENT BY ADULT 18 OR OLDER OR - ACCOMPANIED CHILD 12-15 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - YP. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN SAME COMPARTMENT BY ADULT 18 OR OLDER OR - GBE 12-15 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - YP OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN SAME COMPARTMENT BY ADULT 18 OR OLDER OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN SAME COMPARTMENT BY ADULT 18 OR OLDER OR - UNACCOMPANIED CHILD 5-15 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. NOTE - CHILDREN AGED 5-15 YEARS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN THE SAME CABIN BY AN ADULT 16 YEARS OR OLDER. ALL OTHER CHILDREN AGED 5 TO 15 YEARS MUST PAY THE ADULT FARE AND WILL BE TREATED AS UNACCOMPANIED. PNRS MUST BE CROSS REFERENCED STATING ACCOMPANYING PAX DETAILS WHERE ADULTS AND CHILDREN ARE BOOKED IN SEPARATE PNRS. UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN MUST BE REGISTERED IN ADVANCE OF TRAVEL FOR THE UNACCOMPANIED CHILD SERVICE AND A DECLARATION OF INDEMNITY COMPLETED PRIOR TO TRAVEL BY THE PARENT OR GUARDIAN. UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED FOR ON-LINE TRAVEL AND THIS SERVICE IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR ANY TRANSFERS BY RAIL/ROAD E.G. LGW-LHR.
All Other Discounts
NOTE - NO OTHER DISCOUNTS PERMITTED.
Miscellaneous Provisions
THIS FARE MUST NOT BE USED AS THE HIGH OR THE LOW FARE WHEN CALCULATING A DIFFERENTIAL. THIS FARE MUST NOT BE USED AS THE THROUGH FARE WHEN PRICING A FARE COMPONENT WITH A DIFFERENTIAL.
Application
MAIN CABIN FARES APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS THE CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE AND SUCH FARES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS. THE NUMBER OF SEATS WHICH THE CARRIER SHALL MAKE AVAILABLE ON A GIVEN FLIGHT WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE CARRIERS BEST JUDGMENT

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Smd the screen print I posted was exactly what was on my screen when I did a booking. It stated right there it was nonrefundable and also had a slide you could move over each fare to see what it included. It wasn’t hidden at all.

Mar 14, 2018
Smd the screen print I posted was exactly what was on my screen when I did a booking. It stated right there it was nonrefundable and also had a slide you could move over each fare to see what it included. It wasn’t hidden at all.
I agree your screenshot is pretty clear. But was that on their mobile app? I didn't see anything like that when I booked on the web site.

Mar 14, 2018
No it was on their website. I don’t use mobile apps.?
Interesting. But it does look like the screenshot you took is from their mobile web site (ie you browsed from your phone or tablet). I see the same thing on my phone.

On their regular web site (ie what you would see from a computer), this is what the same screen looks like. Nothing there about refundability:

1544663878219.png

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, one thing is easily understandable ... don't be booking flights on your phone, the margin for error is too big. Sarah, cancel/refund is a semantics issue when you're on the phone with an airline. I once had to cancel a British Air tix valued about $250 and I asked for a refund. Not a word was said about the fact that I could have received a credit toward a future flight, less the cancellation fee. So I got the taxes refunded. A few years later I discovered what had happened.

I would write to Virgin, admitting that you didn't understand what you bought and you really need that credit towards a future flight. If you've already received the refund, ask them to claw it back and do a cancel/credit instead. Complaint departments read letters all day long blaming someone else, so a passenger who takes responsibility and asks for an exception to their rules is occasionally successful. Be polite, patient and persistent ... it may take some time, but don't give up.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Interesting. But it does look like the screenshot you took is from their mobile web site (ie you browsed from your phone or tablet). I see the same thing on my phone.

On their regular web site (ie what you would see from a computer), this is what the same screen looks like. Nothing there about refundability:

View attachment 2101
Did you click on the fare series where it has the 3 fares and read the information there?

Mar 14, 2018
Did you click on the fare series where it has the 3 fares and read the information there?
Yup. Nothing about cancellation. There isn't even anything on the purchase screen. As far as I can tell, when booking on the main web site the only place they mention it is buried under the link.

That's why I think the OP may have a case. When the airlines hid the 24 hour rule rights on the their web sites in a similar fashion, the DoT said it was a deceptive/unfair trade practice. The same may apply here.