Viking won't help me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You can escalate your request to the Viking contacts, emailing one at a time starting with the first cust serv person, and then weekly escalate to the next level if you get no or negative response. However, you are asking for the benefits of travel insurance that you chose not to purchase. Viking is not likely to agree to your request but you lose nothing by trying. Keep your expectations low and hope they will give you a larger credit for a future cruise. A free future cruise is highly unlikely, so do not start out with that as your demand. If your first demand is a free cruise you will end up with nothing.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/viking-cruises/

Jan 30, 2018
Wow. What an unfortunate set of circumstances and timing. I hope you are doing well. Good luck with Viking, who are not known for being accommodating when passengers have to cancel. I imagine this was a pricey trip, so why no insurance?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not to be the bearer of bad news but Viking is one you must buy travel insurance for- they are very unforgiving in circumstances like this.

Viking has the strictest deposit requirements of just about any cruise line and usually don’t budge.

I would encourage you to artfully beg for an exception but request a future cruise credit - that would probably be the best you will get if they do anything .

Sep 19, 2015
What a terrible situation and hope you are better.

May I ask why there was no insurance for the trip? Isn't this an expensive cruise, as in 5 digits?

I have no experience with cruises, but I am just perplexed at the idea of booking travel with an absolute date, and a use it or lose policy, that costs over $10,000 for two.

I understand it was difficult to see that the cruise line was offering to reschedule people, and had you waited to cancel you could have taken advantage of that. It looks like you canceled about 19 days before the email was received.

All I can say is beg, even if they gave a credit of 50% of the cost that is better than nothing.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Does the Credit Card used to book and pay for this cruise have Travel Benefits? Many credit cards today provide Travel Insurance as a benefit of the card though it may be too late as so much time has passed and claims are time sensitive..
I’m glad you are finally recovered and able to consider cruising again. The itinerary for this cruise looks fabulous!
Sadly I must agree with my fellow advocates that of all the cruise lines Viking is the least likely to budge due to lack of Travel Insurance which they offer prominently during the booking process.

Jan 30, 2018
Good idea about the credit card insurance. This year we had to cancel (due to an illness which would require long term treatment) what would have been an expensive trip, but we cancelled so far in advance that we were only out about $500. After submitting lots of paperwork, we got that money back from our credit card company. Unfortunately that card has now reduced their coverage amount, but something is better than nothing!

Dec 15, 2018
Thanks everyone for your replies. It doesn't look good to get help from Viking according to the posts. I've never purchased travel insurance in my many years of traveling. Looks like I'm paying for it now all at once. Still wish Viking had a softer heart. I wonder how much money they spent on setting up this trip for us. It was all administrative work on their part. I would like to know that figure. They could keep that amount instead of keeping all of it. Seems heavy handed to me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately by not insuring a high dollar trip, you are playing a game of roulette. What if you fell and broke your leg a week before your trip? What if one of your kids had a serious illness right before your trip and you had to cancel. That’s what you take a chance on by not buying insurance.

Most suppliers are non forgiving- why should they give you the benefits of insurance when you opted not to purchase it? That’s why they sell it.

If you think you’ll use cc insurance you need to find out how much coverage is offers as well. We had a client that booked a $14,000 river cruise that opted out of insurance, claiming her cc insurance covered her.

Luckily she was traveling to a country that required proof of medical insurance so she sent my wife her cc policy. When reading the details my wife noticed the maximum trip coverage the card would pay was $3500. She called the client who nearly had a heart attack when she heard that. She ended up buying the insurance we offered and it’s a good thing she did. Two weeks before their cruise the husband developed pneumonia and they couldn’t travel. If she hadn’t bought the policy we offered her she would have been out more then $10,000. She was fully reimbursed with our policy .

I still urge you to write to Viking- the worst they can say is no and the best is a well written letter admitting you didn’t buy insurance but requesting a credit to use within a certain time frame as you’ve learned your lesson gets to the desk of the right executive gets a yes. We recently saw a post where Viking made a rare exception so you should give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

We have a post in our insurance forum on what travel insurance covers - you might want to take a look at it. Did you know in most cases your medical insurance doesn’t cover you outside the US?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks everyone for your replies. It doesn't look good to get help from Viking according to the posts. I've never purchased travel insurance in my many years of traveling. Looks like I'm paying for it now all at once. Still wish Viking had a softer heart. I wonder how much money they spent on setting up this trip for us. It was all administrative work on their part. I would like to know that figure. They could keep that amount instead of keeping all of it. Seems heavy handed to me.
The same thing would have happened on all the cruise lines, Regent, Crystal, Seaborne etc. I just paid over $1400 for travel Insurance for a very expensive Regent Cruise. Plus I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card for additional coverage protection. Many years ago you would have found the cruiseline to be sympathetic but no more.
I’m so sorry you missed such a wonderful cruise. Do check into your credit card travel benefits just in case.

Jun 27, 2017
We have been good customers of Viking, as well as Avalon, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Delta, American and have always purchased travel insurance. It is NOT cheap, due to our ages. If ALL travelers expected/asked/demanded any of these companies to reimburse them for the FULL cost of their trip because they are good customers and/or the company should have a soft heart and make an exception to the rules of cancellation with every request, then why buy travel insurance?

Feb 28, 2018
I agree with all the above travel insurance comments. There is a way to save money very substantially on travel insurance, by booking the cruise with a large travel agency that contracts with a major travel insurance company for travel insurance for their clients. We discovered that booking cruises with 'Vacations to Go' ( we don't work for them, get no benefits for recommending them) we can insure through CSA Insurance( now called Generali Insurance due to a recent acquisition). I am 85, my wife is 70. Our insurance premiums are now less than half what they wwere through other travel insurance companies. We recently had to cancel a cruise just ,prior to departure, due to my wife's illness, and after completing the appropriate documentation, CSA promptly sent us a check for the full cruise price . They do cover pre-existing conditions if policy is purchased at the time of fiinal payment. I subsequently called CSA and was told that a nearly identical policy , purchased independently cost about twice the VTG price. Other agencies may offer similar arrangements. The CSA policy is about the same price as the cruise line ,policy ,and is much better, offering cash- not future cruise credits.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with all the above travel insurance comments. There is a way to save money very substantially on travel insurance, by booking the cruise with a large travel agency that contracts with a major travel insurance company for travel insurance for their clients. We discovered that booking cruises with 'Vacations to Go' ( we don't work for them, get no benefits for recommending them) we can insure through CSA Insurance( now called Generali Insurance due to a recent acquisition). I am 85, my wife is 70. Our insurance premiums are now less than half what they wwere through other travel insurance companies. We recently had to cancel a cruise just ,prior to departure, due to my wife's illness, and after completing the appropriate documentation, CSA promptly sent us a check for the full cruise price . They do cover pre-existing conditions if policy is purchased at the time of fiinal payment. I subsequently called CSA and was told that a nearly identical policy , purchased independently cost about twice the VTG price. Other agencies may offer similar arrangements. The CSA policy is about the same price as the cruise line ,policy ,and is much better, offering cash- not future cruise credits.
You don’t have to book through a major agency- many travel agents sell the exact same coverage.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Stan, this is really great information. I'm usually the first one screaming about avoiding online booking services, but Vacations to Go seems to be successful and experienced. I booked an RCCL cruise through them about 8 years ago (when I didn't know what an OBS was) and everything was error-free. I do remember that the agent I was communicating with gave me some odd info, and I called VtoG ... it was straightened out immediately. I was probably too dumb to insure it back then. Next time I'm in the cruise planning stages, I'll compare them to other offers.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
We used Go-Today backin 2013 for one week in Rome that included airfare, hotel and airport transfers.
It was a terrific price and all went well until our ride back to the airport failed show up. It was really early and we could only get answering machines at the numbers we called. So we got a cab.
Fortunately I had 80 euros left and it covered the cost.
Go-Today reimbursed us the $80 in US dollars so we came out ahead. Felt very lucky to have that cash on us at the time.
I will use them again if a trip works out for us.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
We always buy travel insurance, but have learned from our travel advisor that all policies are not the same. Some companies are secondary insurers, meaning they will reimburse you but you must front the charges and then file the paperwork when you get home and wait for the money. We use Travelex, which is primary, which means they cover the expenses with no out of pocket money. I fractured my femur in Japan and spent 8 days in the hospital after surgery to repair it. The bill came to the equivalent of $12,000 US which our policy covered.

On the subject of Viking, I broke my clavicle in a cabin and went down to the medical officer who told me is was just a bruise and sold me a sling. He did not suggest that I go to a hospital in port, or offer an X-Ray. This was a 2-year-old ship, so I was pretty sure there was an X-Ray machine onboard. After returning home, I began a polite email correspondence with Viking. It took about 3 weeks of back-and-forth emails to discover that there was an X-Ray machine onboard. I went to my doctor who took an X-Ray only to discover that my clavicle was indeed fractured. There was no treatment and it healed on its own in 6 weeks. I did not even need the sling the doctor sold me!. After much correspondence, Viking sent us each a $500 voucher for a future cruise, which we had already booked. As Chris says, "politeness, persistence, and perseverance" works wonders.

Aug 29, 2015
Please be sure to read the policy you are getting from V2G. For you, they may be sufficient particularly based on your age. When I looked at the insurance offered by my travel agent, I found I get more insurance for less money by paying for insurance directly. My personal travel insurance of choice is Travel Insured through the USAA desk, which gives me a slight discount over directly purchasing.

Some travel insurance needs to be purchased at time of deposit, other policies can be purchased at time of final payment, depending on what is desired.