Viking Cruises notifed us the day before our cruise departure that a large portion of the 14 day river cruise would be via bus rather than on a Viking ship due to very low water levels on the rivers. We contacted Viking Customer Relations and were advised that our options were either to go forward with the substantially different cruise itinerary or cancel the cruise and invoke our trip insurance (Tripmate). We were told that Tripmate would not refund the cruise money but instead would at least issue Viking travel vouchers for the amount of the trip. We filed the claim with Tripmate and since that the claim has been denied. I have contacted Viking Customer Relations repeatedly but they have been unwilling to provide appropriate compensation. It have since learned that Viking has been dealing with the low water problem for months and yet waited until the day before departure to advise us.
What's your desired resolution? Viking Customer Relations advised us that using Tripmate after cancelling was a viable option. If we had known we would get no compensation from Tripmate we might have gone forward with the cruise even though it was substantially less than what we had paid for. It was bad advice from Viking and now Viking is offering zero compenstion and blaming Tripmate. Tripmate claims "cancel for any reason" is not underwritten by them rather is a guarantee by Viking.
What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 13000
Date of transaction/travel date: 10/23/201
166.4 KB Views: 7