Viking Ocean for 2021 assigned a GTY for stateroom?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 5, 2019
Hope someone can clear this up for me. Booked a cruise for March of 21 through Viking and on their website it said there was limited availability for a PV2 stateroom so we asked our travel agent to book it. When we received our paperwork the type of room we were given was a GTY. Viking told me that our travel agent requested this and if we wanted a cabin assignment we would have to drop down to a Deluxe Veranda. Strange because as of today on their website it says limited availability for that type of stateroom.

I don’t understand if there is availability what not a assigned stateroom

Any help would be appreciated Karen, thanks

May 30, 2019
'GTY' on many cruise lines means they will guarantee the cabin type but not the stateroom #.

I don't know Viking specifically, however with NCL & Celebrity I learned that this often means that if you knew the stateroom number, you likely wouldn't want it because of a type of deficiency. Examples of such include but aren't limited to: support pillar in middle of the stateroom; balcony view obstructed by lifeboat; too close to the ship's disco (likely not a Viking issue, but you get the idea); immediately below the buffet so can smell like food; too close to the elevator.

However, it could also mean that the cruise line is anticipating a few cancellations and therefore wants to assign your cabin later. On rare occasions, the cruise line may oversell the stateroom type and give you an upgrade at embarkation.

This thread on cruisecritic.com may help.

Feb 12, 2019
Also not familiar with Viking, but other cruise lines also use GTY when a category is sold out or almost sold out but they expect X number to cancel between now and then which they could then put the GTY people in.

I've also seen GTY used as a cheaper option for categories that tend to be more expensive. For example I know Royal Caribbean sometimes have suite GTY rates even when there's a ton of cabins open. This rate is usually several hundred dollars less than picking a cabin, but it can get someone a suite for a bargain.

It sounds like it's likely the first option with Viking, but can't say for certain since I've never looked/followed their pricing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Also not familiar with Viking, but other cruise lines also use GTY when a category is sold out or almost sold out but they expect X number to cancel between now and then which they could then put the GTY people in.

I've also seen GTY used as a cheaper option for categories that tend to be more expensive. For example I know Royal Caribbean sometimes have suite GTY rates even when there's a ton of cabins open. This rate is usually several hundred dollars less than picking a cabin, but it can get someone a suite for a bargain.

It sounds like it's likely the first option with Viking, but can't say for certain since I've never looked/followed their pricing.
Exactly. Limited availability can mean there are no cabins that can get assigned right now in that particular category but they expect cancellations or possibly moving some others up, opening a cabin for you.

You have a GTY so you will get at least that category. If the category is completely sold out, then the category would say “waitlisted” and your wouldn’t be able to book it at all.

BTW- this is a question your travel agent should have been able to answer for you.