Viking Cruise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 28, 2018
Having learned of Viking's unscrupulous business dealings in the first cruise I booked, I would never ever recommend them. The ad for Scenic Fjords and Vibrant Cities back in February this year distinctly said "Free airfare if you book early" I think if was by the end of February. Upon paying the total, I was not given an itemized receipt. Maybe 3 weeks before departure they sent an invoice stating the airfare cost me 1195.00. I did not look closely enough at it, so after the fact, they say it is "too late" for any refund...And, I did not save a copy of the ad that said free airfare.

Any ideas for getting compensated after the fact for this "breach of contract?"

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh,, this is disappointing. But I must admit that the traveller needs to be pro-active and check all communications ... particularly when there's a special offer on the table. Did you verify what the "early booking" phrase meant to you before booking? Stating "breach of contract" when you don't know what you purchased is not particularly valid. Paying the total due without knowing what it covered is never a good thing. If you book your own travel, it's up to you to verify all aspects of what you are buying. A competent, experienced travel agent would have followed up on this and made sure you got the package you thought you booked.

Sep 19, 2015
Having learned of Viking's unscrupulous business dealings in the first cruise I booked, I would never ever recommend them. The ad for Scenic Fjords and Vibrant Cities back in February this year distinctly said "Free airfare if you book early" I think if was by the end of February. Upon paying the total, I was not given an itemized receipt. Maybe 3 weeks before departure they sent an invoice stating the airfare cost me 1195.00. I did not look closely enough at it, so after the fact, they say it is "too late" for any refund...And, I did not save a copy of the ad that said free airfare.

Any ideas for getting compensated after the fact for this "breach of contract?"
Do you actually have a contract that says "free airfare" ? You need to actually have a contract or show some proof of a contractual obligation to show that it was breached.

Not a cruise person so I have no idea of Viking in general

usually those "free" offers have a lot of restrictions. You may want to start a new thread.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To get the free airfare you must pay in full for the entire cruise by a specified date. There is always a disclaimer telling you that. In fact, they have it right now and this is what the small order between says on all the offers:

Book by Sept 30, 2018; pay in full by Oct 31, 2018. 2020: Book by Sept 30, 2018; pay in full by Dec 31, 2018. Offer expires Sept 30, 2018.

Sep 19, 2015
To get the free airfare you must pay in full for the entire cruise by a specified date. There is always a disclaimer telling you that. In fact, they have it right now and this is what the small order between says on all the offers:

Book by Sept 30, 2018; pay in full by Oct 31, 2018. 2020: Book by Sept 30, 2018; pay in full by Dec 31, 2018. Offer expires Sept 30, 2018.
Yes, the fine print and disclaimer -- not just booking but paying by a certain date. I thought there would be something like this.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
What did the Original Invoice State? Did you pay the amount for the cruise originally quoted or was this airfare in addition to what you originally agreed to pay?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Please make sure you buy travel insurance for your cruises going forward so if you have you cancel like your other cruise you will be covered if it’s for a covered reason.

If Vikings is too expensive, look at a third party company. Insuremytrip.com can help you find one or contact your travel agent.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Yes, Neil is exactly right ... we booked a Viking cruise-tour of China several months ago for November 2019. We wanted a specific itinerary and a specific cabin; certain accommodations sell out on Viking cruises. Our travel agent is a cruise expert and we got all the goodies with a final payment in June 2019. She tells me that Viking can be sticky but she has a lot of "friends" there ... the CruiseCritic reviews were wonderful. I was very pleased with the final package she put together. Now all I have to deal with is the biz class air ... not until December. Viking has a very good fare offering for air, but I've heard about the nightmares with routings and connections, and we don't want that. Flying out of SFO we should be able to do non-stop to Beijing and home from Hong Kong. Wish me luck!