Victim of British Airways data breach, request full refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 9, 2018
I booked my ticket on British Airways on Aug 25th and my travel is scheduled for Oct 14th. I am a victim of the British Airways data breach issue.

It has been over one month that the incident has happened and I haven't not heard back from British airways on how they will compensate the customers for the data theft issue. I tried to call multiple times on customer care, customer relations and twitter channel, but to no avail.

At this point, I do not want to travel in British Airways as I am not satisfied with their customer service, customer data protection and I would like to get a full refund of what I paid for the ticket. Please let me know what my options are for getting the refund. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2016
I booked my ticket on British Airways on Aug 25th and my travel is scheduled for Oct 14th. I am a victim of the British Airways data breach issue.

It has been over one month that the incident has happened and I haven't not heard back from British airways on how they will compensate the customers for the data theft issue. I tried to call multiple times on customer care, customer relations and twitter channel, but to no avail.

At this point, I do not want to travel in British Airways as I am not satisfied with their customer service, customer data protection and I would like to get a full refund of what I paid for the ticket. Please let me know what my options are for getting the refund. Thanks.
They've said that they'll compensate anyone who suffered losses as a result of the breach. Have you faced any losses?

As for getting a refund on your ticket, I really don't see where you have grounds, but can't hurt to try. Use our executive contacts, write a polite letter, and see how it goes. I'd definitely couch your request in terms of "would plan to fly with BA again, once time has passed and the security fixes have been established to work."

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you write to them using our company contacts?

This is what they state about the breach:

BA advised anyone who believed they may have been affected to contact their bank or credit card provider and follow their recommendations.
As for compensation, BA said: "We will be contacting customers and will manage any claims on an individual basis."
It said customers due to travel could check in online as normal as the incident had been resolved.

That doesn't mean they will allow you to cancel - it sounds more like they will look at claims if there were unauthorized charges on your card due to this.

Do you shop at any of the following stores or use the intenet for any of these? Walmart, Target, EBay, Chase, Home Depot, Citibank, Zappos. Adobe,Neiman Marcus, Yahoo? Do you have Athem or Tricare health insurance? All of these have had data breaches. There is almost no where you can run that these things don't happen.

I'm not sure you will be successful in trying to cancel a non refundable ticket but you can certainly try using out company contacts.

Mar 17, 2015
Between the Equifax and the IRS data breach, I am not sure anyone's information is safe. Of course, the aforementioned companies are only the ones who have actually notified customers of data breaches. I worry about all the ones that have happened and the actuaries have decided better to pay out claims if/when something happens, then to deal with it now.

Sep 19, 2015
Well that is an interesting reason. First what monetary damages have you suffered? Have you notified BA about the damages?

To add to the list of data breaches -- Scott Trade, Etrade, Staples, Equifax, Ticketmaster, etc....

Your credit card number, exp date and verification code were stolen. Get the card replaced.

You need to send in an actual claim with proof of damages. Customer Service is not going to answer that, not over the phone and not on twitter. Why are they not answering you? Because the class action lawyers are already writing their briefs -- and that started the day the breech was announced.

Now your trip is in 5 days, I am not sure that you will get any answer from the executive contacts before the departure.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What we are seeing in the news is probably 10% of the problem. The big corporations are pretending that nothing's wrong, but someone will "out" them sooner or later., one by one. It's been going on for a long time and it's going to get worse by leaps and bounds. What's the solution to the translucent skin of the internet? I'd like to find out.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree that we are only hearing a fraction of the data breeches. It is serious. I think it is a lot more profitable than other types of crime— no need to buy products to resell (ie illegal drugs), no weapons needed, no need to even leave one’s home and one can attack the computer system from another country.

This is one reason I am not a fan of online medical records— theoretically it should work but many places spend little on tech security — all in profit maximization—

I have not read up in depth on the BA hack but the hackers exploited the same vulnerabilities as seen in the Ticketmaster hack. And I am sure JavaScript is implicated.

Until regulators and international law enforcement take a strong stand this will continue. The majority of class action lawyers care only about the fees they get, while the customer gets a coupon for $5.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Write to BA using our contacts (as Neil said) explaining what losses you have incurred. If you haven't incurred any losses I don't think you have a case but it never hurts to ask.

Feb 3, 2017
When the Equifax breach occurred, I just decided to freeze my social security number with the credit reporting agencies - nothing is perfect but if someone were to have my info and try to open a bank account, credit card, get a mortgage, whatever - my social sec. is frozen until I unfreeze it if I need it.

It may not be a perfect solution but it does provide me with a bit more peace of mind than I had in the past - maybe the OP might consider doing so if they don't foresee needing to open any new accounts at any time soon - Even if so, you can unfreeze them and freeze it again as needed.

I agree though - I can't see them refunding this ticket without evidence the OP has incurred a loss due to the breach.