Veteran Paid Off Car STILL WAITING ON TITLE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

What would you do if you were in my shoes

• Seek Litigation? Against Capital One

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seek to have Workers Removed that didn't work the Account?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing Just let it go Companies Hire Trash all the time and this is what you get with Capital One

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 22, 2019
I paid my car off on July-16-2019 because I needed to get a SUV my Mom had knee Surgery and was given too much anesthesia and crashed she has recovered but to never walk again, So I had to sell her car for SUV, So I called Capital One explained my situation and told them I am in a Bankruptcy and was instructed by my lawyer to pay this way, I would be paying off the car and I was told when the funds clear the title could be sent out, I sent 2 Regions Cashiers Checks as they said I owed $1,484 and so I sent them $1485 on a Bank Cashier Check so that is cash there is no clearing on July-12-2019 Then they didn't say a word for a week then I am told that they need $2,255 to pay off I sent out another cashiers check, immediately so on July-16-2019 I called and the account said car paid off and There was a Refund do of $1976.53 it will be mailed and I would receive by August-17-2019 and Title by August -6-2019 Neither happened so I called Capital One on August 5-2019 to see what had been done and nothing had been done the lady tried to lie and say they weren't sitting on my title she stated the same lie they had 10-15 Business Days to send out and its first come first serve? until August-6-2019 and that is law of Capital One not to send out before then? so August-14 I am Agitated, I had to cancel several Doctor Appointments because no SUV her leg cant bend she has cement in her knee. So I called again asked to speak to Corporate and they give me this guy who said he is main supervisor I explain to him the situation about my Mom and he then starts trying to give me tips on How I should have handled the sale of my Moms car and then trying to insinuate I can't read and that this account will be worked by August-17-2019 and that the lady from August -14-2019 was right and she stated on that date that it could take 30 Days well August-16-2019 was 30 days and it came and went still no title or refund on August-16-2019 I called back and spoke to another supervisor who informed me that the Account was NOT WORKED at All and that she could put a rush on August-19-2019 to get someone to go to warehouse to get document and get signed off and by August-22-2019 should be sent I called today and Still Nothing on my Title or Refund There Message now say it was sent out on 8-17-2019 and Title will be sent out sometime give it a few days for Mail. Note They have not Notified Anyone that the car was paid off DMV Clerk/Chapter 13 Trustee, My Lawyer have not heard from them either and so they are still getting paid by Court I am Seeking Litigation as this has been violation of my rights They want you to make the payments on time but now they have to do there jobs they have No Clue what to do They should have contacted the Bankruptcy Court and DMV so they know it was paid off and then they should have sent this stuff out in 2-3 weeks tops instead that lady employee put don't work this Account No One Works it and if something happens to my mom and I can't get her to Hospital Then You will see me back here again
August-22-2019 still no Check and No Title Lawyers and Chapter 13 Trustee will get involved now and I will see how this goes? Why Would you not send Title Out I did explain I am not working and I am Caretaker I need Vehicle to get Mom to Hospital She has a Bad Heart and Arthritis of Lungs Anything can happen why chance that to be mean, And I told them everything so they cant say they didn't know I just want my Title and Refund

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would use our company contacts on top of our page and contact the executives at Capital One for help and not do any of the options on your quiz.

Litigation will take years - you want a quick solution.

Find our company contacts and use this to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

It also isn’t necessary to mention you are a Veteran- as a Veteran it is irrelevant to your situation. Veteran or not you should have the title in a timely manner.

Let us know if the contacts work.

Feb 16, 2018
Also, I having trouble following some of the information you put in your post. You state that you had to sell your mothers car, and you are in bankruptcy. Is the car your car legally and you just let your mother drive it? If it is her car legally that you sold for her, your bankruptcy wouldn't have anything to do with this.

Jan 6, 2015
Is this the correct timeline?
  • July 1, 2019: Paid off my car to purchase an SUV for my Mom (she is unable to walk because she has cement in her knee). Needed to sell her car as well to buy an SUV
  • Called Capital One and explained that I am in a Bankruptcy and my lawyer advised to pay this way. Was told when the funds clear the title could be sent out.
  • July 12-16: Sent them $1,485 via a Cashier Check. Then told they needed $2,255 more, which was sent on the 16th via a Cashier Check
  • Called and the account said car paid off. There was a refund due of $1976.53 that I would receive in the mail by August-17-2019 and the title by August -6-2019
  • August 5: Called Capital One an told they have 10-15 Business Days to send these, and that it's first come first serve.
  • August 14: Had to cancel several doctor appointments because I can't transport my Mom (no SUV). Spoke with "main supervisor" at Capital One, who stated that this account will be worked by August 17 and could take 30 days.
  • August 16: Still no title or refund. Spoke to another supervisor who stated that the Account was NOT WORKED at all. She could put a rush on it on August 19 to get someone to retrieve the document and get it signed off and sent out by August 22.
  • Called today and still nothing on my Title or Refund. They state now that it was sent out on August 17 and title will be sent out sometime. I am to give it a few days for mail to arrive.
They should have contacted the Bankruptcy Court and DMV so they know it was paid off (you don't say why).
I am not working and I am her caretaker. I need an SUV to take Mom to the hospital

Sep 19, 2015
How many cars are involved -- one owned by OP and one owned by Mother? The problem is with the OP car which had a loan from capital one?

Jan 6, 2015
How many cars are involved -- one owned by OP and one owned by Mother? The problem is with the OP car which had a loan from capital one?
As I read it, Christina, he needs to sell HIS car and his Mom's car in order to purchase an SUV. So he paid off HIS car via cashier's check (per his bankruptcy lawyer's instructions) and is waiting for the paperwork . . .

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Reality is that getting a title “Can” take 45+ days. Titles are held by Clearing Houses for the major lenders. It not like the old days when there was a Loan File with the title clipped inside.
Most people are unaware of this because they trade cars to dealers who take care of these details.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
As BittyBoo requested, please make a list of the facts. Unfortunately, your post is difficult to read with no punctuation and the random use of capital letters. I just can't follow your story. First question I have is why an SUV is required for your mother, that needs explaining. If we can understand exactly what happened, we can probably help. In the meantime, your mother probably qualifies for disabled assistance ... she can probably get a ride in a suitable vehicle whenever she needs it. Ask her surgeon's office for information, and do a search to find out what's available to her.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019
I find it hard to believe someone, anyone , let your mom drive after a surgery on #1 on her knee, and #2 after anesthesia!! I've had my molars taken out and 2 ear surgeries and never ever will the doctor's allow you to drive after a surgery.
Unfortunately, it usually takes awhile to get the title to a vehicle. I remember the bank loan officer calling me wanting to know if I had received my car title after I just purchased an suv because they couldn't find it. Apparently they never received it from the dealership. One good thing about smaller towns is having a more personal relationship with the bank. When I wrote a not so good review on Google my banker immediately came and asked what they could do to fix my issues.

May 15, 2016
I find it hard to believe someone, anyone , let your mom drive after a surgery on #1 on her knee, and #2 after anesthesia!!
While unclear, I think you may have misinterpreted his letter. I think she "crashed" after surgery (had a serious anesthesia-related event)... you know on TV they bring in a "crash-cart"...I don't think she drove home and crashed her car.

Sep 27, 2017
Is this the correct timeline?
  • July 1, 2019: Paid off my car to purchase an SUV for my Mom (she is unable to walk because she has cement in her knee). Needed to sell her car as well to buy an SUV
  • Called Capital One and explained that I am in a Bankruptcy and my lawyer advised to pay this way. Was told when the funds clear the title could be sent out.
  • July 12-16: Sent them $1,485 via a Cashier Check. Then told they needed $2,255 more, which was sent on the 16th via a Cashier Check
  • Called and the account said car paid off. There was a refund due of $1976.53 that I would receive in the mail by August-17-2019 and the title by August -6-2019
  • August 5: Called Capital One an told they have 10-15 Business Days to send these, and that it's first come first serve.
  • August 14: Had to cancel several doctor appointments because I can't transport my Mom (no SUV). Spoke with "main supervisor" at Capital One, who stated that this account will be worked by August 17 and could take 30 days.
  • August 16: Still no title or refund. Spoke to another supervisor who stated that the Account was NOT WORKED at all. She could put a rush on it on August 19 to get someone to retrieve the document and get it signed off and sent out by August 22.
  • Called today and still nothing on my Title or Refund. They state now that it was sent out on August 17 and title will be sent out sometime. I am to give it a few days for mail to arrive.
They should have contacted the Bankruptcy Court and DMV so they know it was paid off (you don't say why).
I am not working and I am her caretaker. I need an SUV to take Mom to the hospital
When writing to Capital One, use this example as a base. Fill in any of the blanks that you can (exact dates, names of people spoken to, etc). Write to the email addresses Neil links to.

Important:
1/ Write to only one e-mail address at a time, starting with the lowest person on the totem pole and giving a week or so for a response before stepping up the ladder to the next on the list.

2/ Try to avoid any 'glurge' or petitions for sympathy. You can mention you needed the SUV due to your mother's health, etc., but any long explanations seem like a plea for sympathy. That may be what YOU want, but to an exec or their assistant, any long reads could find your letter not read thru completely. Brevity is what you want in this first letter. And what you need to emphasize is their lack of acting on a policy or a promise, such as them not adhering to the deadlines that they gave to you insofar as refunds, titles, etc.

3/ If you would like to have your letter proofread before you send it, feel free to post it here. But again, a bullet point presentation of facts like the ones VoR61 listed has been proved to get companies' attention. Just toss in any other important information (like names of those you've talked to, any dates that might be missing, etc).