Verizon Wireless reported to credit bureau

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 3, 2018
I made payment arrangements in April with Verizon of 65 per month. I have paid it each month on time sometimes early. Today I got a call out of the blue from a place which showed up on my caller I’d as “United States”. I called it back and it was answered by WYpoint. A collection agency. I was informed that Verizon turned my account over to them on the previous day. Being confused I told this company I need to get in contact with Verizon because my account was current so there was no reason for my account to be turned over. I dialed the same number I always called to make my payment and was transferred to Waypoint. I called back trying to get through to talk to a person. Finally got through and the lady told me my account was turned to collection because I missed October 25ths payment. I told her no, October’s payment was made on October 10th.
( Keep in mind that I am on disability, my income is limited. Many times I have had to choose between food or medication, or paying Verizon. I always pay Verizon. ) She transferred me to the Recovery department and from there I was transferred several more times. Finally I spoke to a man and he was polite and understanding, but said I only made a partial payment for October? I asked him what he mean and he did I paid only 50 instead of 65. I checked and he was correct. So because of a 15.00 oversite, error, Verizon Wireless could not take the time to contact me by phone or letter. Instead they turn me over to a collection agency whose number shows up at “United States “ on caller ID. And they also put it on my credit report which will be a blemish for the next 7 years. I actually paid Waypoint 100.00 after I talked to them the 2nd time. What happened to communicating with customers. What happened to compassion? I mad a simple error and Verizon is making me be punished for 7 years because of it. The really annoying thing, is this money I’m paying, is because I was trying to help my son by adding him to my plan. He lost his phone and stop paying his share of the bill so I’m doing the right thing and paying it. I could have easily not paid it and Verizon couldn’t have done a thing to me because I’m on Social Security Disability. But I did my best to do the right thing and they turn around and ruin my credit over a “ partial” payment. It was 15 dollars short and I didn’t even realize it. SHAME ON YOU VERIZON...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
Was the account previously very past due and this was a strict payment plan?

With strict repayment plans on seriously past due accounts the payment terms are very rigid as this is sort of the last chance— because the account was almost in default.

And you say you made the payment agreement for $65 but then sent $50– well that over 20 percent less than owed.

Rather than chastising Verizon and shaming them perhaps you should address this shame to your son who stopped paying you after you added him to your account and put you in this situation.

I helped take over paying bills for a relative that was terminally ill and they were not sent to collections after missing a month payment — and had Verizon wireless — so there is some background that is missed here.

Why not go after your son who put you into this situation, who must be aware that you live on SSI Disability. Where is your son’s compassion?

Nov 3, 2018
Oh believe me when I say my son has heard about this and we do not speak. Not just because of this but other reasons. My son has no compassion. He took his life down a path that I want no part of. Even if he did pay me back at some point, he couldn’t get this removed from my credit report now could he? Only Verizon could. After reading other posts on here though many people are saying Waypoint reported them to the credit bureaus. The man I spoke to said “ We do not report to the credit Bureaus at all. We are only collecting a debt which is sent to Verizon. We update them weekly on the status of each collection account, but do not deal with the credit bureaus. Verizon would be who you would need to contact about any questions regarding credit bureau reporting”

This bill was a final bill not seriously past due. It was a final bill. As soon as it was received I called and made these arrangements. I was paying my 65.00 a month directly to Verizon, and not a collection agency. I’m terminally ill. I suffer from numerous illness that’s why I’m on Social Security Disability. Plus I have Glaucoma, thus the error in paying Verizon 50 and the next creditor 65. An unintentional mixup. And I paid Verizon each and every month as I promised, NEVER missed. So it’s not like I habitually missed payments or was continually late. In fact on several occasions I was early. I live on a fixed income of 1022.00 a month. I could have not paid a penny. But I chose to do the right thing and do my best to pay this b

I got a call from Waypoint earlier in the day which showed up as “United States”. I missed that call. Then later my phone rang and it showed up “United States” again. Why would a collection agency identify themselves as United States? I believe this is a violation. At no time was I given anything in writing. Here I get a call from United States, which turns out to be a person on the other line saying it is an attempt to collect a debt. I’ve received no bill, no explanation in writing. No nothing other than a mans voice saying I owed an amount much higher than I owed verizon. So my frustration is not only with Verizon but also Waypoint.

With all due respect, there is no missing information her. What I have written in this forum is truth. Your experience with Verizon may be completely different from mine...but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. No two experiences are the same

Feb 3, 2017
I too think you should use the contacts here (after reading elliott's guidance for how to succinctly frame your situation and request) and see if they can help you - but, do read the info as to how best to accomplish this -

I had a billing issue with T-Mobile and after speaking with various reps on the phone, all of whom gave me conflicting information, I wrote to one of the contacts on here for T-Mobile and I had a response from him within about one or two hours and ultimately we sorted out the problem - and, importantly, I had a paper (email) trail of that correspondence with the embedded assurances and promises.

I would leave out all the personal details and stick to the facts.

Too much emotion or just too much information generally can cause people to not deal with it given what is likely many such personal stories/requests. (As a consumer advocate, I find I routinely have to bring people back to just the facts even as I do understand the human tendency to want to tell the "full story," so to speak, including all the personal circumstances, etc but it's not necessary if the facts are clear and concise.)

I wish you luck with this situation - you do seem to be in a very rough time.

Nov 3, 2018
I have it here. The final was 768.22 I had 3 lines. 2 which I ported over to ATT. I had added my son just 3 or months previous and I think he made 1 payment and lost the phone. I called them as this was the only line left on the account. They said I could pay 64.02 down, then 65 per month until paid . I believe it was 12 months. Nothing was ever in writing. All verbal. I went to www.verizonwireless.com/PayMyBill or paid on the 800 automatic payment system.

There was never a contract given for this repayment. I never spoke to a person at Verizon again after the initial discussion for the payment arrangements.

Side note: It is a violation per the FCRA for a collection agency to represent themselves as “United States” as WAypoint did when I was contacted

Mar 14, 2018
I have it here. The final was 768.22 I had 3 lines. 2 which I ported over to ATT. I had added my son just 3 or months previous and I think he made 1 payment and lost the phone. I called them as this was the only line left on the account. They said I could pay 64.02 down, then 65 per month until paid . I believe it was 12 months. Nothing was ever in writing. All verbal. I went to www.verizonwireless.com/PayMyBill or paid on the 800 automatic payment system.

There was never a contract given for this repayment. I never spoke to a person at Verizon again after the initial discussion for the payment arrangements.

Side note: It is a violation per the FCRA for a collection agency to represent themselves as “United States” as WAypoint did when I was contacted
I think the other posters have given you good advice on how to proceed. I would suggest completely dropping your issue with caller ID showing "United States". The name for a caller is displayed by your phone company and not by the caller. WayPoint has no control over what name is shown on your phone, so it's not any kind of violation by them.

Nov 3, 2018
I did that. I told each person multiple times. I guess this is why it is so upsetting. Always paid ontime sometimes early and had a one time oversite and this happens. I guess having a blemish free credit history for years, then having this oversight ruin it just sent me over the edge. I thank you all for reading, and giving the advice that you have. It is appreciated. My anger has now shifted to acceptance. May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving spent with family and friends.

Sep 19, 2015
I have never had Verizon wireless but had Verizon residential (landline) for years and have little faith in the regular customer service channels for residential service.

Write to the executives; be polite and apologetic; say it was just a mistake and point out that as soon as you were alerted to the error you paid the missing $15. Ask nicely for the negative report to be removed.

It is sad that your son is so selfish and cares so little about a parent that is suffering.

Nov 3, 2018
Thank you so much! I did actually not only pay 15.00 but 100.00. But it did not seem to matter, as least from the multiple people I spoke with. I will look up executives and see if I can get anywhere. Thank you and bless you

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Stop calling!!! That’s the issue. All contact Must be in writing or it simply becomes a exercise in futility. Use our contacts listed in the Forum for Verizon.
As my colleagues have already advised be very brief, polite and your disability or medical status and the Caller ID have ZERO to do with your troubles.

You made a simple mistake, period!
Stop calling them and send emails only starting with Customer Service.