Verizon Wireless Lacks Empathy

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 28, 2018
Account Number:removed
Phone number 925-558-####

On December 25, 2018 I went to a Walgreens store to purchase what I thought would be gift cards so that I could pay my past due amount and get my service back on. We did not have the actual credit card yet due to having just been approved on December 21, 2018. Although we did not have the card I was able to view card information via my USAA account and add the card to google pay. After adding card to google pay I was able to use card at the the cashier terminal at Walgreens. I was unsure when we would receive the card and needed cell service reconnected for medical and employment reasons. My father is in a facility in Nashville Tennessee suffering from a stroke and Alzheimer's. My husband and myself also have medical issues as well. When I returned home and attempted to pay my bill the cards would not work. I panicked, I just spent a total of 682.80 and the cards are not working. I began to google the issue and learned that I had actually bought prepaid cards that would not work with my service. I tried live chat with Verizon and was told to call financial services which was closed. I was furious that I was not going to get any help from Verizon and that I have to eat 682.80. Later that evening I sent an email to Rima Qureshi-Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer. The following day I called financial services and the rep transferred me to a very rude supervisor Todd i.d. number 478631. He told me that Verizon could and would not do anything to help me. He suggested that I contact corporate offices for Walgreens to see if they could do a refund. I explained to him Walgreens would not be able to do a refund. Todd then said you were given time to make your payment and that he also saw in my account that I was given extensions as well. Again he stated nothing could be done to assist me. I explained to him that another woman in 2017 had the same issue and verizon was able to give her a credit. I told him the information is online if he wanted to google it. Todd did not want to do anything but get off the phone with me. I finally called Corporate Offices and spoke with a Leah who stated that I had a case manager named Angela who would be contacting me. I explained I do not have a phone not sure how anyone will be contacting me. I've yet to hear from anyone from Verizon. I have started a complaint with the BBB and Channel 7 news...7 on your side. I am not rich, can't afford to lose 682....I have no communication with my fathers doctors or the nursing staff. I was not able to call him on Christmas just so that he could hear my voice. There will be no forgiveness if my father dies and no one can reach me. NONE....I am starting a petition later today with the hopes others will drop their services with Verizon....This is now very personal for me. Yes, my bill was over 800 dollars I was only trying to pay the past due amount to get service on again and pay the remaining balance in January. I have also sent emails to top Verizon executives: Lou Sigillo, Tamin Erwin, Ronan Dunne, Hans Vestberg, and Lowell McAdam.

In 2017 a woman in Connecticut made the same mistake and Verizon credited her account above the 600 dollars.

Received this response from Verizon
Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:06 PM
Dear Ms. Brown,

My name is Angela, and I work in the Executive Office of Verizon Wireless. I received your complaint from Rima Qureshi, EVP & Chief Strategy Officer. I definitely understand the importance of having your phone service available to reach your family. I am sorry to hear about the confusion with the card purchases. I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to address your concern.

A thorough review reveals the service on your account was interrupted on December 20, 2018, due to an outstanding balance of $847.60. All Verizon gift card/prepaid card sales are final.

Verizon respectfully declines to credit your account $682.80 for the prepaid cards as they are non-refundable. The prepaid cards can be used to purchase service on a prepaid Verizon account. As a gesture of good faith, I can apply a one time courtesy credit of $200 to your account for your Reconnect Fees over the last six months. This credit would include the Reconnect Fees that will bill once your account is reactivated. Please reply by January 4, 2019, if you would like to accept my offer. You may also contact Financial Services at 866-266-1445 to discuss your payment arrangement options.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me directly at 800-779-2067 ext. 2220876. I am available Monday through Friday from 8am – 5pm MST.

Sincerely,

Angela H.

Executive Analyst

Edited by moderator to remove account numbrt

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 28, 2018
I want Verizon to honor my prepaid gift cards and credit my account.

Please Google this story: Verizon Customer Seeks Credit After Buying Wrong Gift Cards. This happened in Connecticut 2017.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, gift cards are nonrefundable regardless of the company. We have another post on here about the same thing- he bought a gift card for an XBox and needed one for a different game system and alsi can’t get a refund.

If you had cash to pay a past due bill couldn’t you have just gone to a Verizon store and paid down your bill?!

Did you ask Verizon if you could go to a Verizon store and buy a pre paid phone to use the gift card on?

Dec 28, 2018
I'm assuming you did not read that I used a credit card and why I choose that form of payment. This all happened on Christmas Day.

Sep 19, 2015
I am also not understanding this. Can one not pay the verizon bill with google Play, either in a store or online link?

A tv show managed to get a one time exception -- but that does not mean that they will make this a standard practice -- also there was no indication that the other person's phone had been disconnected for non payment.

You have not given Verizon much time to deal with this -- and have already gone to the BBB and now you are threatening to start a petition to get people to drop the Verizon service? Exactly how do you think this will help you?

Rather than try and work up the chain you wrote to 5 people since the purchase on December 25th -- which was three days ago. I realize your father is sick but Verizon did not cause this problem and threatening to write a petition which will accomplish nothing and will not generate any good will.
Do you not have any friends that will let you use their phone to call your father? Or use your computer to use online telephone such as Skype to call him?

Dec 28, 2018
I am also not understanding this. Can one not pay the verizon bill with google Play, either in a store or online link?

A tv show managed to get a one time exception -- but that does not mean that they will make this a standard practice -- also there was no indication that the other person's phone had been disconnected for non payment.

You have not given Verizon much time to deal with this -- and have already gone to the BBB and now you are threatening to start a petition to get people to drop the Verizon service? Exactly how do you think this will help you?

Rather than try and work up the chain you wrote to 5 people since the purchase on December 25th -- which was three days ago. I realize your father is sick but Verizon did not cause this problem and threatening to write a petition which will accomplish nothing and will not generate any good will.
Do you not have any friends that will let you use their phone to call your father? Or use your computer to use online telephone such as Skype to call him?
I was not able to pay with google pay. This was on Christmas day. I worked 12 hours shifts before Christmas. If I'd had the credit card or even the 3 digit security code I would have paid online. If you don't have the 3 digit code you can't make payments. Verizon stores were closed Christmas Day. I did ask to transfer my account to prepaid and use the cards but was told I could not do that. I also requested to start a prepaid account and use the cards but was told no due to having a outstanding balance.

Mar 14, 2018
I also requested to start a prepaid account and use the cards but was told no due to having a outstanding balance.
This is a key point but it's getting lost among all the other parts of the story. If they're going to sell prepaid credit, they need to be willing to deliver the services associated with that credit."

I suggest you write back to AngelaH with something similar to the following:

"I have purchased $682.80 of prepaid service on Verizon. I request that Verizon Wireless do one of the following:​
1) Allow me to open a prepaid account so I can make use of this credit. To date, you have not allowed me to open an account.​
2) If Verizon refuses to allow me to use my prepaid service credit, please refund my purchase price.​
3) Alternatively, I am open to Verizon applying my prepaid credit to amounts due on my postpaid account."​

Note that the last option (which is what you have been requesting) probably won't give you phone service, as you have an outstanding balance of $847.60 and only $682.80 in credit.

If Angela continues to refuse one of your options, you can try internal mediation within Verizon Wireless:

WE ALSO OFFER CUSTOMERS THE OPTION OF PARTICIPATING IN A FREE INTERNAL MEDIATION PROGRAM. THIS PROGRAM IS ENTIRELY VOLUNTARY AND DOES NOT AFFECT EITHER PARTY'S RIGHTS IN ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THESE DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCEDURES. IN OUR VOLUNTARY MEDIATION PROGRAM, WE WILL ASSIGN AN EMPLOYEE WHO'S NOT DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN THE DISPUTE TO HELP BOTH SIDES REACH AN AGREEMENT. THAT PERSON HAS ALL THE RIGHTS AND PROTECTIONS OF A MEDIATOR AND THE PROCESS HAS ALL OF THE PROTECTIONS ASSOCIATED WITH MEDIATION. FOR EXAMPLE, NOTHING SAID IN THE MEDIATION CAN BE USED LATER IN AN ARBITRATION OR LAWSUIT. IF YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW MORE, PLEASE CONTACT US AT VERIZONWIRELESS.COM OR THROUGH CUSTOMER SERVICE. IF YOU'D LIKE TO START THE MEDIATION PROCESS, PLEASE GO TO VERIZONWIRELESS.COM OR CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR A NOTICE OF DISPUTE FORM TO FILL OUT, AND MAIL, FAX OR EMAIL IT TO US ACCORDING TO THE DIRECTIONS ON THE FORM.​

You could also try filing for formal mediation or in small claims court, but those options may take more time and effort than you want t spend right now.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
do as Neil says. Go to a version store and get a prepaid phone to use with the gift cards. That way you can stay in contact with your family
You do not even need another phone. Your existing phone can be transferred with the current # to a prepaid account that you can pay for with the gift cards (and probably pay less per month as well). We have done that with ATT when we were going to Canada and wanted to avoid roaming charges on our post-paid accounts. We then transferred back to the original post-paid account after returning from Canada, all with the same phones and phone numbers.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I was not able to pay with google pay. This was on Christmas day. I worked 12 hours shifts before Christmas. If I'd had the credit card or even the 3 digit security code I would have paid online. If you don't have the 3 digit code you can't make payments. Verizon stores were closed Christmas Day. I did ask to transfer my account to prepaid and use the cards but was told I could not do that. I also requested to start a prepaid account and use the cards but was told no due to having a outstanding balance.
You can get a prepaid phone at Walmart of the grocery store.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You do not even need another phone. Your existing phone can be transferred with the current # to a prepaid account that you can pay for with the gift cards (and probably pay less per month as well). We have done that with ATT when we were going to Canada and wanted to avoid roaming charges on our post-paid accounts. We then transferred back to the original post-paid account after returning from Canada, all with the same phones and phone numbers.
The problem is that still leaves a balance of over $600 on the other Verizon account and Berixub might not allow the number to be ported

Dec 19, 2014
The Verizon problem aside, there are many ways to get a free or low cost phone number so that your family can communicate with you. For example, you can:
- use Skype
- Magic Jack (VoIP)
- obtain a non-smart phone using a pre-paid plan by a service provider other than Verizon. ie there are phones that you can purchase for less than $20, and voice only plans can be found for less than $15/month.
Granted, we are not talking about smart phones, but at least it will solve the problem of not being reachable by phone.

Note that you are NOT dependent on Verizon, or your Verizon cell phone to access voice calls. Not having an active Verizon cellular phone service does not prevent you from making or receiving voice calls.

The Verizon problem is more tricky. The issue is that you have a significant outstanding balance. A $800+ outstanding balance is not missing a monthly payment. Based on the response from the Executive Office it appears that you are at least 6 months behind on your payments. Unfortunately, you aren't in a good bargaining position, and Verizon may effectively be "firing" you as a customer. At this point, they have no incentive to negotiate

I sympathize with your plight. I recommend smd's approach. Since you have heard from the Executive team, this may be their final answer.

Mar 23, 2015
It seems to me that Verizon was pretty generous in forgiving $200 of the bill already. I don't use prepaid, but I wasn't aware you had to link it to an existing account or name. I thought the "anonymity" was why so many people like them? But, if they're refusing to let you use a prepaid account in your name with your existing phone, put it in your husband's name or something. I feel like maybe I'm missing something? I am sorry for your situation, but you're wanting Verizon to treat you like a friend; but they're not your friend. They are a business and literally *Everyone* has a story/an issue/a heartbreak/whatever. That simply cannot be how they conduct BUSINESS. I do sincerely hope you get it all worked out... you bought prepaid phone cards. Now you need to figure out how to work with what you have, instead of asking repeatedly for something you cannot have. Good Luck.