Verizon surcharges

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 17, 2018
I live in the unincorporated part of pima county,az. Verizon charges me a surcharge for the town of marana,az which I don't live in. the town of marana has 2 post offices within it's town limits. one is 85743 and the other is 85651. the mail to the rural area of 85743 which is delivered from Tucson,az. post office, that is within the town limits of marana to my part of the rural unincorporated part of pima county, but Verizon charges me for marana. I already pay pima county surcharge. Verizon says they have to charge by zip code, rather than geographical. so I'm being charged 2 surcharges. Verizon won't do anything but say go to Congress.

Sep 19, 2015
Are county surcharges different from the town surcharges?

Problem is that Verizon likely has to have to collect these various county and town surcharges and pass them on to the county and town -- and if the company is told how to collect the charges, what can they do?

No fan of Verizon, but this I think is on the local legislation.

Feb 16, 2018
The Pima county surcharge may be for all Pima County residents and go to the county government, while the other surcharge by zip code may go to another form of tax collection. You will need to find out where each goes to be able to make a better argument to your representative.

Sep 19, 2015
I am going to point out that Tucson has its own share of surcharges added onto telephone bills -- but it is not the company that makes these local (or federal surcharges) it is the government. Verizon has no control over these things,

Dec 13, 2018
Perhaps you can change carriers. A look at the coverage map for Sprint says your area code has excellent coverage. Call them first to make sure they won't double charge you like Verizon.

Sep 19, 2015
Perhaps you can change carriers. A look at the coverage map for Sprint says your area code has excellent coverage. Call them first to make sure they won't double charge you like Verizon.
I do not think it is double charging -- these are charges done by the county and city -- Sprint would have to collect the same governmental surcharges.

Mar 14, 2018
If you do not live within the town limits, they should not be charging you town taxes regardless of your zip code. I don't believe the town has legal authority to impose taxes on non-residents.

I think the Verizon customer support people that you spoke with are just feeding you a line because they don't know what to do. Verizon has an internal mediation service that you can use in this situation. (If they don't address the issue and you still want to pursue it, you can go to full arbitration later.) To escalate your issue, fill out and submit this form: https://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/Notice_of_Dispute.pdf

Sep 19, 2015
If you do not live within the town limits, they should not be charging you town taxes regardless of your zip code. I don't believe the town has legal authority to impose taxes on non-residents.

I think the Verizon customer support people that you spoke with are just feeding you a line because they don't know what to do. Verizon has an internal mediation service that you can use in this situation. (If they don't address the issue and you still want to pursue it, you can go to full arbitration later.) To escalate your issue, fill out and submit this form: https://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/Notice_of_Dispute.pdf
Unincorporated areas are strange — I say this from experience with family. One lives in one county (A) but has to pay a quarterly surcharge to a different county (County B) for wastewater and sewer treatment even though the water/sewer bill is paid through local city which is in County A.

And even though the city address in named XX city, and there is an incorporated XX city, because they are unincorporated and not fully part of XX city, police from XX city do not respond to calls and only the county sheriff of county A has jurisdiction and will respond to calls. Meanwhile they still pay an assessment of $170 every quarter to county B for wastewater treatment and it is the law. County B can put a lien on the house in County A if wastewater fees are not paid.

So these are very complicated issues because one is not in an incorporated jurisdiction subject to one areas regulations.

Mar 14, 2018
Unincorporated areas are strange — I say this from experience with family. One lives in one county (A) but has to pay a quarterly surcharge to a different county (County B) for wastewater and sewer treatment even though the water/sewer bill is paid through local city which is in County A.

And even though the city address in named XX city, and there is an incorporated XX city, because they are unincorporated and not fully part of XX city, police from XX city do not respond to calls and only the county sheriff of county A has jurisdiction and will respond to calls. Meanwhile they still pay an assessment of $170 every quarter to county B for wastewater treatment and it is the law. County B can put a lien on the house in County A if wastewater fees are not paid.

So these are very complicated issues because one is not in an incorporated jurisdiction subject to one areas regulations.
I agree it can be messy especially when services are contracted for. But here's the language from Marana's tax code:

The tax rate shall be at an amount equal to 4.5 percent of the gross income from the business activity upon every person engaging or continuing in the business of providing telecommunication services to consumers within this City.​
That sounds to me like the OP should not owe this tax.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree it can be messy especially when services are contracted for. But here's the language from Marana's tax code:

The tax rate shall be at an amount equal to 4.5 percent of the gross income from the business activity upon every person engaging or continuing in the business of providing telecommunication services to consumers within this City.​

That sounds to me like the OP should not owe this tax.
You quoted a tax on a business — notice gross income on a business — that has nothing to do with city or county surcharges on a consumer.

Mar 14, 2018
You quoted a tax on a business — notice gross income on a business — that has nothing to do with city or county surcharges on a consumer.
I'm pretty sure it just gets passed through. It's just like a sales tax (and in fact is in the same category of taxes as the town sales tax.)

Mar 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure it just gets passed through. It's just like a sales tax (and in fact is in the same category of taxes as the town sales tax.)
In any event, this is really off topic. If the OP wishes to appeal the tax charges, he can use the form I referenced in post 7.

Jan 29, 2019

Even in incorporated areas, zip code issues are common. I used to live in an area serviced by one town's post office, but actually resided in the town next door. This often made it hell for my parents when trying to sign up for the correct town's swimming pool each year, as they weren't aware that this one street belonged to them....

Zip codes are the easiest way for large firms like Amazon to determine which taxes to collect and pay, but we need something more exact - a service which takes an exact map location, then feeds in each item to be shipped to compute which taxes that need to be charged based on rules that apply to that exact location. Sadly, I doubt this will ever exist in our lifetimes.