Verizon Fios Cancellation Issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 9, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I recently made the decision after my promos had expired and my bill rocketed skyward to make the switch from Verizon Fios to Cablevision's Optimum Online. I had TV, Internet, and Phone through Verizon and would have the same going forward with Optimum.
My installation happened on 10/30/15. The Optimum installers told me not to call anything in until they were done as it would mess up the port of my phone number to Optimum.
As soon as the installers were done, I gathered my 3 Verizon set top boxes and my Verizon modem/router, and headed to my local Verizon Fios store. I tried to turn in my equipment at the store, but was informed that my cancellation would have to be called in first and to get a cancellation number to be used to process the equipment return. They even handed me the store phone to use. I called in front of them. The rep on the phone processed my cancellation and even notified me of a early termination fee. I was fine with that since Optimum was going to reimburse me for it. In any event, when I was done with the phone rep, I gave the store rep the cancellation order number for verification and he took my equipment.
That brings us to today. I never received anything about my cancellation from Verizon or a final bill. My last bill was for service from 10/28-11/27. I acknowledge that I should be responsible for two days of service on that bill, plus the cancellation fee. I wanted to check up on this, so I initiated an online chat today. I had called in twice before and was told just wait for the final bill, that it would be forthcoming. They are now telling me that my service is still active, that the equipment was not received until 11/4 and that the phone was not ported until 11/2.
Why would I still have an active account with no equipment? There is no logic to it, but then again maybe I am asking too much. They have offered to backdate cancellation to 11/2 which is when they say my phone number was ported out, but on principal, I do not want to pay for even one extra day of service if I don't have to. The cancellation should be for 10/30 when I called in from the store and then returned the equipment. When I get home from work today, I will try to locate my receipt for the returned equipment. If I don't find it though, do you all believe I am at a complete loss?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
From what I recall when I cancelled my FIOS, you're billed until you return the equipment, which in your case was 30 Oct. The only reason I can think of to make it 4 days later is if they didn't log it in the system at the warehouse until then...which is their problem, not yours. I dont think you're asking too much at all. After all, you're willing to pay the early termination fee.
The receipt will definitely solidify your case, though I wouldn't say you're at a total loss. See if you can find it. If you can, email it to Verizon customer service as proof of your turn in on that date.
If not, we can start the appeals to Verizon using our customer contacts.
Come back to us tomorrow or tonight after you've had a chance to find the receipt. We had a recent case where Verizon sent to collections a guy three years after he thought he turned in the equipment, so if you do find it, hang onto it.

Jan 8, 2015
peter, i can see why your telephone service with Verizon would be left open as the number would ned to get ported. however, they should have stopped your cable service the day you either told them to stop it, or you returned the equipment.

I agree with the above in that you should find the return slip before moving forward. that return slip will make the fight so much easier.

<edit> my promos have expired with AT&T for their U-Verse service and all I am asking of them is to extend my current rate for another year. new subscribers get an even better deal. They are unwilling and i guess would rather just have me not have service with them at all.

Feb 9, 2015
Mike,
Thank you for your reply to my post. I appreciate people trying to help me out. I would understand the phone portion being left open on Verizon as well except that it was transferred to Optimum on 10/30/15 when they were here to do the install. I have records of calls going out/coming in through Optimum from when they hooked it up. We even took the additional step of disconnecting the main Verizon control box in the garage.

Feb 9, 2015
Technomage1,
I found the receipt that says I turned everything in on 10/30/15! Do you suggest I try contacting Verizon customer service again or start using the contacts?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Technomage1,
I found the receipt that says I turned everything in on 10/30/15! Do you suggest I try contacting Verizon customer service again or start using the contacts?
Awesome! I'd give Verizon customer service a chance first. It's always best to try and resolve things at the lowest level. You can always escalate it later if need be.

Feb 9, 2015
technomage1 and Mike,
Thanks again for your replies and your efforts to help me. This morning I contacted Verizon Fios' customer service again and let them know I had my receipt to prove I returned all equipment and cancelled service on 10/30 as well as proof that the number had been ported on 10/30. The Supervisor I was talking to agreed to set up the cancellation and backdate it to 10/30. I was told my "diconnect" date (disconnect what?) would be 11/20, but the effective date would be 10/30.
I was also told that the final bill would be generated shortly. Thankfully, I have all receipts, chat transcripts, and order numbers for the cancellation now in one place in the event it doesn't play out correctly.
The help on this forum was much appreciated.

Peter

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
@Peter P,

That's great. We always love to hear when some someone is successful. Double check the final bill when it arrives, and let us know of any further problems.
Techno

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Just want to take this opportunity to point out that this issue is most likely going to be resolved in the customer's favor, fairly quickly, because he has his receipts and other documents to prove his case.
Let this be a lesson. KEEP ALL OF YOUR PAPERWORK! Optimally, in a system that lets you find it easily, but if that is not going to work for you then at least find a big box, drawer, suitcase....something and throw everything in it. Then at least you have a fighting chance of finding it if you need it,
I tend to be organized and keep my paperwork in folders and notebooks but boxes can work to. Keep a box for at least a year past its anniversary and you should be good.
My husband just bought that desk organizer scanning system so maybe that will help us cut down on the space needed to keep everything.

Last edited: