Verizon Charged Me 22 Months for International Service That I Cancelled

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 4, 2018
I traveled to France in 2016 and put international service on my account for the 2 weeks I was traveling. I called Verizon the day after I returned (they have a record of the call) and cancelled the service and was issued a credit for not using the full months worth of service. Apparently the person who issued the credit failed to actually cancel the service and, unbeknownst to me, since I do not manage our phone bill, Verizon apparently did not cancel the service and continued to charge us $31/month for 22 months. I only found out we were being charged when I called in March of 2018 to suspend my son's phone line since he is in the military overseas. The Verizon customer service agent noticed that our bill was high and asked if I traveled a lot internationally. I do not and she was able to credit us 3 months worth at that time ($120). I then called back and spoke with a supervisor, who begrudgingly issued another 3 months worth of credit ($120), but implied it was my fault I was continuing to be charged because they send out bills and I should have caught it. I followed up with a registered letter to their headquarters, and 3 subsequent phone calls, all to no avail. Verizon should have cancelled the service when I requested it be cancelled (June 2016), but instead did not. They proceeded to charge us for 22 months, and I contend that they owe us the other 16 months worth that they charged us ($496) and will not refund. This is so wrong.

May 4, 2018
"...my fault I was continuing to be charged because they send out bills and I should have caught it .." Unfortunately, it often falls upon us to make sure things really got done.
Let us know if/when you get the remaining months credited to you.

Mar 17, 2015
I think you are going to have to eat some of the charges, but I could be wrong. I would start writing to the executives listed under company contacts, and write a brief, polite, you are so very sorry for not looking at your bill for almost 2 years, and you are extremely grateful for the refund that has already been provided, but ask for additional consideration to be given. I think it far more reasonable that you take part of the hit as a lesson learned and only ask for a portion, say half of the remaining 16 months left, since you did fail to check the bill on a timely basis. Others may speak up and tell you to ask for it all back, but I think you may get further acknowledging your mistake and asking only for a portion of the months. Only write to one executive at a time and wait a week in between contacting each of them. Good luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Tanya. Says “this is so wrong” when you could have stopped it in month 2 is not the correct attitude to have. I’ve honestly never heard of anyone that doesn’t review their bill monthly especially since you should have known what you were paying before you added the plan.

I think a fair resolution is splitting it in full between you and the company.

May 4, 2018
I agree with Tanya. Says “this is so wrong” when you could have stopped it in month 2 is not the correct attitude to have. I’ve honestly never heard of anyone that doesn’t review their bill monthly especially since you should have known what you were paying before you added the plan.

I think a fair resolution is splitting it in full between you and the company.
I said I don't review the bill; my husband is in charge of that bill and we have 5 users on the account. Since all 5 of us traveled to France, and there were extra charges that would have been atypical during that time, he apparently did not check closely. The fact is, I asked them to cancel, they have documentation that I asked them to cancel it and they did not cancel it.

Sep 19, 2015
I said I don't review the bill; my husband is in charge of that bill and we have 5 users on the account. Since all 5 of us traveled to France, and there were extra charges that would have been atypical during that time, he apparently did not check closely. The fact is, I asked them to cancel, they have documentation that I asked them to cancel it and they did not cancel it.
They may have a record that you called and that a credit was issued but any "recording for quality purposes" (or whatever the disclaimer is) is likely gone after nearly two years.
Credits can be issued for a number of reasons, not just cancellation.

I am sorry to say that I have to agree with the above. If the mistake had been caught early on then it would be another issue; but the fact that no one noticed until 22 months later does not help the argument. And it is not the unusual charges soon after the trip it is the fact that in 22 months no one looked at the bill. A nice polite letter may result in further credits, but there has to be an acknowledgement of personal responsibility.