Verifying my business address for Chase credit card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 2, 2019
I applied for a Southwest Airlines business card through Chase in time for an upcoming business trip. I was hoping to earn points during the trip. I didn't anticipate any problem getting card as I have been in business for 10 years (in my profession for 20+ years) and have excellent credit. When I hadn't heard back from them in over a week I found a phone number to inquire about my application status. They put me through to the Fraud Division and asked me the same simple questions (name, address) multiple times in addition to texting me a code to verify who I was after they called me back at the phone number listed on the application. They then requested a copy of my driver's license and social security card, despite that I do not work out of my home and I use and provided my tax identification number for my work (not my ss#). They then asked for a sales tax permit or a tax account transcript. I explained that I am a sole proprietor and a licensed clinical social worker (LICSW) providing psychotherapy and do not have those things. I sublet space from other therapists in a major medical building in Washington, DC and cannot provide a utility bill with my work address on it (not an atypical scenario in my profession). I explained that I could provide a copy of my professional license from the DC government and they could even look me up online to check my license (and professional profile that shows my work address on a site that verifies one's license and have been on for a number of years). The conversation went round and round to no avail. Out of frustration I finally asked them to withdraw my application and please send me documentation of my request. Is there something I missed in my approach? Is there someone else to reach out to about this? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh boy, we went through this little game with Chase several years ago. We had assorted personal Chase cards and wanted INK for the business. The whole situation was so goofy that it was almost funny. We are sole proprietors with our own office and had the utility bill, so that was good. But they wanted something else, I forget what. I flatly refused to send them any income tax forms. I finally came up with a lease agreement for our copy machine that was 8 years old and that satisfied them. But it took an hour on the phone. Chase INK is worth getting for the lovely bonus points.

I don't think you did anything "wrong" ... Chase has grown its CC business so fast that the various departments sometimes seem to be running over each other. This results in bizarre phone calls like you and I experienced. I would run a credit report to see how this latest kerfuffle has been reported, and perhaps reapply or ask them for reinstatement of your original app. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Feb 2, 2019
Thanks for your reply. Fortunately, or unfortunately in this case, everything except the furniture and incidentals are covered in my informal sublease. I appreciate the idea to check to see how this was reported on my credit report. I was presuming that simply calling back and speaking with another person assigned to answer the phone lines, who I imagine doesn't have much authority to be very flexible, would be another venture into futility. Perhaps you are saying that may not be the case if I can come up with something else that shows my business address? Barring that possibility, might there be someone else to call about this situation?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We aren't underwriters for the credit card company so we really can't tell you what the procedure is. Why aren't you providing your own Social? That it seems would fix the situation. Do you have a borrowing history under your tax ID number?

I had to supply my social security number for our business credit cards even though we have a TIN number.

Sep 19, 2015
Given all the data breaches and identity theft issues, I am not surprised that there are additional hoops to jump through for more “untraditional” applications.

Easy for me to say, but one should not get frustrated or impatient.

Do you have invoices from licensing renewal, professional society correspondence or anything like that with the office address?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@nm25 From an outsiders perspective, I’d be highly suspicious if a business couldn’t provide any bill with their name on it. Especially since almost every business has a phone bill of some type.
Next time, you might just state that your lease includes utilities and offer to send them a copy of your lease and your last lease invoice.

It might work....

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
So, no signed lease with your business address and your landlord? How about renter's insurance or any other insurance that you are required to have for your type of business?