Venmo holding MY money for 180 days

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 9, 2019
I transferred my Paycheck from Chime to Venmo because I didn’t receive a debit card yet and that’s the way THEY recommended to do to take out my money and get cash. Actually its their only way. Anyways I transferred it to Venmo and it won’t let me instant transfer it to my bank or debit cards or standard transfer it. So my girlfriend tried it on her Venmo, wouldn’t let her. Wouldn’t let our friends, so they send me the money back. I try one more times and they freeze our accounts. They ask for id and social so we send them in. They unfreeze hers and deactivate mine with my balance on it. They say we violated user agreement and wont talk to me via email anymore until they determine if I can have my money back in 180 days. This is my paycheck! I offered proof that it came out of my account. I offered sending it back to the account it came out of and they wont do anything. I cant get my bank to dispute it. I cant get anyone of management on the phone of either Chime or Venmo. I have no gas to get to work. I have no money for food. Not sure what to do anymore. Sos.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you add anyone else’s bank account or card to yours? We’ve seen this happen when someone tried to add someone’s else information. Why couldn’t you get a debit card with Chime? They advertise that you get a debit card to use.

Who recommended you go from Chime to Venmo? We haven’t had success with Venmo answering issues here.

Venmo is owner by PayPal. Here are our company contacts for PayPal :

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/
Write to them, don’t call so you have a written explanation. Here is how to write;

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

May 28, 2019
You could also ask your employer to cancel that check and issue you a new paycheck. Your employer may charge you the cancelled check fee (at my bank it is $15). Then notify PayPal that the check for $180 has been cancelled. This step is important because when the check is no longer good (cancelled), PayPal will think you gave them a bad check if you don't notify PayPal. To avoid this type of issue going forward, you may want to consider joining a credit union (will cost you $5 deposit) and cash your paychecks there in the future.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You could also ask your employer to cancel that check and issue you a new paycheck. Your employer may charge you the cancelled check fee (at my bank it is $15). Then notify PayPal that the check for $180 has been cancelled. This step is important because when the check is no longer good (cancelled), PayPal will think you gave them a bad check if you don't notify PayPal. To avoid this type of issue going forward, you may want to consider joining a credit union (will cost you $5 deposit) and cash your paychecks there in the future.
It sounds like it was electronically deposited and once it’s in the Venmo account, the employer can’t cancel the payment- especially if the account is locked.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
" I transferred it to Venmo and it won’t let me instant transfer it to my bank or debit cards or standard transfer it. So my girlfriend tried it on her Venmo, wouldn’t let her. Wouldn’t let our friends, so they send me the money back. I try one more times ".

Unfortunately, this sequence of events screams fraud/money laundering, regardless of the reason you did it.

Nov 9, 2019
Chime recommended me to Venmo. Venmo wouldnt let me get a card, they said there was a waiting list. No we used our own information on our own accounts. I dont know what we broke of the user agreement but it would be nice to know!

Nov 9, 2019
" I transferred it to Venmo and it won’t let me instant transfer it to my bank or debit cards or standard transfer it. So my girlfriend tried it on her Venmo, wouldn’t let her. Wouldn’t let our friends, so they send me the money back. I try one more times ".

Unfortunately, this sequence of events screams fraud/money laundering, regardless of the reason you did it.
Really?? I dont get it. All I want is my paycheck. I offered showing them my statement showing it came from my employer and they said no. I was even asking Venmo what to do and they offeted sending it to friends to see if they could take it out so thats kind of on them as well.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Please answer the questions I asked in post 2. Did you try and add someone else’s or bank account?

Chime has cards- why couldn’t you get one? Where were your paychecks being deposited before this?

Please use our company contacts and start writing.

Nov 9, 2019
No, only used my own accounts. Chime cards - they sent one and never received it. They resent it and got it after my money was stuck in Venmo. I was getting paper checks. Im currently writing a draft to the contacts provided.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com