VEENDAM CANCELLATION BY HOLLAND AMERICA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 1, 2015
I submitted my receipts RT the cancellation and all were accepted except for the cruise upcharge of $923 when I booked a new cruise, departing 3 days later. This cruise was going to Ft Lauderdale- hence the upcharge- but we were able to disembark in Boston (like the Veendam was scheduled to do)
I have sent a rebuttal back to Guest Services, as well as a cc to Paul Goodwin (primary contact), Richard Meadows (secondary contact) and Steve Kruse (CEO)- all of which are on the Elliott contact site (Thank you !)
I am hopeful that this rebuttal will be successful- but what do I do if it is not??since Holland America promised 100% refund of all expenses related to the cancellation?

Sep 22, 2014
I submitted my receipts RT the cancellation and all were accepted except for the cruise upcharge of $923 when I booked a new cruise, departing 3 days later. This cruise was going to Ft Lauderdale- hence the upcharge- but we were able to disembark in Boston (like the Veendam was scheduled to do)
I have sent a rebuttal back to Guest Services, as well as a cc to Paul Goodwin (primary contact), Richard Meadows (secondary contact) and Steve Kruse (CEO)- all of which are on the Elliott contact site (Thank you !)
I am hopeful that this rebuttal will be successful- but what do I do if it is not??since Holland America promised 100% refund of all expenses related to the cancellation?
Linda

I must confess, I've re-read your post 4 times and do not understand the what, when, why or how of your problem. :confused:

Would you please post all the the details of your problem(s) and your proposed solution(s).

Also, posting a copy of your exchange of emails and replies with the cruise line would be very helpful.

A word of caution, it sounds like you may have only complained to the Guest Department and copied that email to the primary, secondary and tertiary contacts. That is a No No.

Each level should be separate and distinct. Think of yourself appealing an Adminstrative Hearing Officers decision, first to a County Court, then to the Appellate Court and finally to the Supreme Court.

If all else fails, we can ask Chris to request a re-hearing before the Supreme Court. ;)

John

Last edited:

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Linda

I must confess, I've re-read your post 4 times and do not understand the what, when, why or how of your problem. :confused:

Would you please post all the the details of your problem(s) and your proposed solution(s).

Also, posting a copy of your exchange of emails and replies with the cruise line would be very helpful.

A word of caution, it sounds like you may have only complained to the Guest Department and copied that email to the primary, secondary and tertiary contacts. That is a No No.

Each level should be separate and distinct. Think of yourself appealing an Adminstrative Hearing Officers decision, first to a County Court, then to the Appellate Court and finally to the Supreme Court.

If all else fails, we can ask Chris to request a re-hearing before the Supreme Court. ;)

John
Nicely said, John.

One suggestion... I don't know if you've seen my post in the Staff only forum, but when customers like Linda exhaust their appeals, Chris wants us to ask them to complete and submit the Help form at http://www.elliott.org/help/.

I'd been advising customers to submit their "paper trail" along with that form, but Chris said not to. He prefers to contact the customer and ask for their documents himself.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
This sounds like an interesting problem, but we need to know what the problem is.
Hi Judy,

Do you have access to the "Staff only" forum. I ask because I post things there that I think might be useful to our people, and as one of the most active among us, I want to be sure you have access.

One thing I particularly wanted you to see is the post on how we hand off a case to Chris. I'd been doing it wrong. Here's the post:

Chris just instructed me on the proper way to hand off a case to him when a customer has exhausted their appeals and it's time for him to step in. Turns out I'd been doing it wrong.

It's a complicated procedure, so I suggest you set aside a couple of hours, mix a stiff drink or brew a pot of coffee, and sit down with a pad of paper and box of pens. Here it is

1. Send the link below to the customer, and instruct them to complete and submit the "Help" form they find there. Here's the link: http://www.elliott.org/help/.
  2. That's it! There is no second step. As soon as Chris receives the completed form from the customer, he takes over and deals with the customer from then on. I love it!
Anyway, I've been making things a lot harder than they needed to be, and apologize if I led anyone astray.

Grant :)

Feb 1, 2015
Linda

John
Well- I goofed then. I did cc's. I will post the original document, if I can figure out how to do it.

Sep 22, 2014
Well- I goofed then. I did cc's. I will post the original document, if I can figure out how to do it.
Linda

If you don't know how to cut and paste your original email on this Forum, then forward a copy of the email to me ( johnemcneal@msn.com ) and I will post it for you.

But, you still should post, in your own words, the complete story of what occured, when it occured, who said or did it, and what you think the company should do to make it right.

John

Sep 22, 2014
Original Email from Holland American to Linda creating Problem

October 3, 2014 Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for booking a cruise aboard the ms Veendam 7-day sailing scheduled to depart Quebec on October 11, 2014. We have experienced a technical problem with one of the propellers on ms Veendam. It has been determined that a complete repair can only be made in a dry-dock. As a result we regrettably must cancel this 7 day voyage. We sincerely apologize for this situation and deeply regret having to disappoint you in this manner. Of course, Holland America Line will provide each guest booked on this sailing with a 100 percent refund of your fare paid and all items pre-purchased through Holland America Line for the October 11 sailing. As a gesture of goodwill we would also like to offer you a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100 percent of the cruise fare you paid for this cruise. We will of course reimburse out-of-pocket fees such as travel air change fees and hotel accommodations you may incur, as well as refund your non-refundable expenses such as missed tours and excursions that might have been bought through Holland America Line. Please forward your receipts for review by our Guest Relations department in Seattle; documentation may be emailed to guestrelations@hollandamerica.com, or sent by post to: Holland America Line Attn: Guest Relations 300 Elliott Ave W Seattle, WA 98119 If you have any questions please contact us at 1-877-425-2231or 1-206-626-7398. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for this most unfortunate situation. We look forward to being given the opportunity to welcome you aboard very soon. Best regards,

Holland America Line
Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Terms & ConditionsThe value of this credit may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new cruise or Land+Sea Journey reservation with Holland America Line, and it is combinable with any other applicable discount. While the credit is valid through December 31, 2015, please note that it needs only to be applied to the new booking by this date; your cruise does not need to depart within this timeframe. Although you may choose any stateroom category, this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. This credit may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, Cancellation Protection Plans, Home City Air, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services. We ask that you or your travel professional verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time your new reservation is placed. For your convenience, these credits are built in direct association with Mariner Society numbers, so it will automatically be credited toward your cruise fare.

Please add Holland America to your address book or safe sender list.
Update Preferences <http://e.hollandamerica.com/a/hBULx68A8NffUB880R1NsojjMI2/a2?MARINER_ID=416684157&email=lindamarin@comcast.net&PROJECT=&MARINER_ID=416684157> | Unsubscribe <http://e.hollandamerica.com/a/hBULx68A8NffUB880R1NsojjMI2/a3?MARINER_ID=416684157&email=lindamarin@comcast.net&PROJECT=&MARINER_ID=416684157> | Contact Us <http://e.hollandamerica.com/a/hBULx68A8NffUB880R1NsojjMI2/a6?PROJECT=&MARINER_ID=416684157> | Legal and Privacy <http://e.hollandamerica.com/a/hBULx68A8NffUB880R1NsojjMI2/a7?PROJECT=&MARINER_ID=416684157>

© 2001 - 2014 Holland America Line N.V., 300 Elliott Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119
www.hollandamerica.com <http://e.hollandamerica.com/a/hBULx68A8NffUB880R1NsojjMI2/a5c?PROJECT=&MARINER_ID=416684157>

Attachments

Sep 22, 2014
Exchange of Emails & Docs between Linda and Holland American Cruise Lines discussing problem resolution.

Doc #1
JANUARY 6, 2015
TO: HOLLAND AMERICA, GUEST RELATIONS
REGARDING
: CANCELLATION OF OCTOBER 11, 2014 VEENDAM CRUISE, #GH3TVV
HISTORY:
On Friday afternoon, October 3, 2014, I received notification that the Veendam Cruise had been cancelled. I was told, at that time, that there were no other cruises available for that itinerary. I was devastated, having spent many hours putting together this trip, which included Montreal before, and Boston after , where we were meeting family. I had booked hotels, tours, and restaurants, some of which would not be able to be rescheduled, especially hotels, at the favorable rate. We were due to leave on Monday October6 for the airport and the flight to Montreal (non-refundable) on October 7. Rather than nix the entire vacation, I vigorously researched and found that (surprise!!) Holland America had a cruise leaving Quebec City 3 days later! That would work for us and not require any changes to the front end of the vacation. An extra 3 days in Quebec City would be reimbursable, as promised by Holland America. I secured reservations, and received permission to disembark in Boston, as originally planned.
RELATED EXPENESE: these reflect additional cruise fees, even though we were not going to Florida, the additional 3 days in Quebec City, and a change of flight coming home from Boston. All of this was less than if I had cancelled and rebooked for October 14, as an airfare change alone was quoted at more than $2000, because they charge the current fee with only a weeks advance notice, plus the extra cruise fee etc
RECEIPT 1 : $923.44 (available on my booking info)
RECEIPT 2: $180, outside cabin fee (as we originally had an outside)
RECEIPT 3: $432.13, 3 nights Best Western Quebec City
$390, $65 /day pp meals, using the IRS meal allowance for
a high rate city
RECEIPT 4: $596.20 UNITED AIRLINES flight from Boston
TOTAL: $2521.77
SUMMARY:
I hope it is clear that I spent an additional $2500 to complete the cruise on 10/15. The total cost of our cruise was $5000+. I was reimbursed $2500 right after the cancellation notice, but due to the holidays, I had not yet submitted my expenses, for which I apologize. I am even on the $5000, but I am requesting the “future cruise credit,” as promised. I have a booking being held VVW9C5W until Friday, January 16, 2015. Please apply my $2500 credit to that cruise ASAP.
THANK YOU

Doc #2
January 27, 2015

Mrs. Linda Marin
2412 Foothill Blvd Spc 56
Calistoga, CA 94515-1233
Email: lindamarin@comcast.net
RE: Case 1-5853725379
Booking: GH3TVV

Dear Mrs. Marin,

Thank you for the email regarding your cancelled ms Veendam sailing on October 11, 2014.

We received your Change Fee Reimbursement Form and the supporting documentation needed to process your claim. After reviewing the information you provided we are pleased to provide $1,598.33 total as reimbursement of your expenses related to this issue. Please be advised that we will not be covering the $923.44 expense submitted as we are not reimbursing any additional cruise fees. This refund will be processed to the credit card on file ending in 2895 and should be complete in 2 to 4 weeks. Again, we regret that we needed to cancel your sailing and thank you for your understanding.

Thank you once more for contacting our office and bringing this to our attention. We assure we appreciate your time and effort and hope to have another opportunity to welcome both you and Mr. Marin back on board in the very near future.

Kind regards,__________Brian RabosSpecial Advisor
Office of the President

Email: guestrelations@hollandamerica.com <mailto:guestrelations@hollandamerica.com>
Website: www.hollandamerica.com <http://www.hollandamerica.com/>

Doc #3
Dear Brian
I am in receipt of the decision to deny reimbursement for all but the“additional cruise fees” of $923. I am appealing this decision, and requesting full compensation for the $923.
I am an experienced traveler and have traveled extensively throughout the world for the last 40+ years- and so I am comfortable with the various components of putting together a trip. This particular trip involved detailed arrangements made for the week before, and for the week after in Boston, including meeting with family. The cruise was one component, but a very essential one.
Trusting the promise from Holland America of 100% reimbursement, I personally- with absolutely no assistance from Holland America- found a cruise that would almost duplicate the cancelled cruise, and allow us to complete a long-planned trip. I was forced to pay $923 additional because the cruise was going to Fort Lauderdale, even though we were granted permission to disembark in Boston (like the original cancelled cruise). It did not occur to me for even one nanosecond, that this additional charge would not be returned as promised in the letter.
QUESTIONS #1: How is it that HOLLAND AMERICA did not intervene in any way to accommodate us as guests of a last-minute cancelled cruise? They stated that there was no other cruise- yet I found one on the internet within a few minutes and called Holland America to book. They insisted on this additional $923, as explained above. This cruise was not SOLD OUT- There were many available rooms. Where was the good will extended to guests who had been inconvenienced and disappointed??
QUESTION #2: why was there no gesture of good will from the Eurodam? Do you know what a bottle of welcome wine in the stateroom would have meant? It would have been a “gesture of good will” for $20. “We are sorry you missed your original cruise- and we hope you will enjoy the Eurodam.” So simple, so important- not done. We even had to go to a supervisor and pay extra- to get an outside room, which had been booked on the Veendam.
In other words, from the re-booking to the on board interactions, there was not ONE gesture of accommodation or good will. Not one. It was as if these ships were from two different companies, because certainly HOLLAND AMERICA could have and should have made those efforts.
It seems clear that Holland America preferred that guests just accept the cancellation, and stay home. Because we chose not to do that, and take some independent action we are being denied the promised reimbursement for that action.
Please return the $923, as promised, to our credited account at your earliest convenience.
Please also respond directly to this request.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I am so happy that Ms Marin was able to take a cruise that worked for her and her family, but am so sorry about the convolutions that occurred when the original cruise was cancelled.

I also think that her request for reimbursement was laid out very well to the cruise line.

Being a former cruise agency owner and a Holland America 4-Star Mariner (their Past Passenger Program), I've become familiar with the terms used.

Holland America (see 5:01PM posting) stated that in addition to 100% reimbursement of the cancelled cruise fare ... "As a gesture of goodwill we would also like to offer you a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100 percent of the cruise fare you paid for this cruise."

If I read this right, this means that the chosen new cruise was more expensive than the old (cancelled) cruise by $923, and Holland America is not reimbursing that extra cost. They refunded the cost of the original cruise, and additionally applied the amount of the cancelled cruise to the newly chosen cruise.

But the additional cost of the newly chosen cruise ($923) is not refundable by Holland America, per their stated terms of reimbursement.

Sep 22, 2014
Linda

I have reviewed your entire file.

I agree with my colleague cp556 that Holland American's offer of 100% reimbursement of the original cruise cost plus a future Cruise Credit in the same amount towards another cruise fulfilled the the elements and substance of their offer.

But, in my opinion, it raises the additional question of whether a company should go beyond the letter of its offer of restitution and reimbursement in the name of good customer relations?

In light of all the surrounding circumstances, I am of the opinion that your request for a reduction in the price of the substitute cruise equal to the cost of the original cruise is:

1. reasonable since you disembarked the substitute cruise early to coincide with the final destination of the original cruise. (Proof that you did not try to take advantage of the situation and offer by asking for a longer and better cruise.)

2. Is justified in the name of Good Customer Relations.

Unfortunately, in sending copies of your request to everyone on the contact list, you have lessened your ability to escalate an appeal to a higher authority. But let's give it try:
I think you can skip down to Richard Meadows and ask him to review and reverse the current decision.

If that request is unsucessfull, I'd suggest you then appeal to Mr. Kruse.

If those attempts do not work than request Chris Elliotts intervention by filling out his request for assistance form: "Help" form at http://www.elliott.org/help/,

Primary email
GuestRelations@HollandAmerica.com
Primary contact
Paul Goodwin
Senior Vice President, Onboard Revenue Services and Tour Operations
pgoodwin@hollandamerica.com
(206) 281-3535

Secondary contact

Richard D. Meadows
Executive Vice President, Marketing, Sales and Guest Programs
rmeadows@hollandamerica.com
Direct phone: (206) 270-6257
Fax: (206) 270-6144

Chief executive (*)

Stein Kruse
President and Chief Executive Officer, Holland America Line Inc.
skruse@hollandamerica.com
(206) 281-3535

Jan 8, 2015
They refunded the price of the original cruise, plus the cost of the hotels and food for the new reservations, plus the cost of a new cruise up to the amount of the original cruise, plus the outside extra cabin fee and that STILL isn't enough?

Sep 22, 2014
Happy News: I received the below email today from Linda M:

"Thank you for all of your valuable assistance in helping me resolve
the reimbursement issue from the Holland America cruise cancellation.

I have now received the remaining $923 which resolves the issue.

In summary, I have been 100% reimbursed for the additional expenses (documented)
related to replicating the cancelled cruise. In addition, I have been
Compensated for the "future cruise" credit of $2500.

Sincerely,

Linda Marin"

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Happy News: I received the below email today from Linda M:

"Thank you for all of your valuable assistance in helping me resolve
the reimbursement issue from the Holland America cruise cancellation.

I have now received the remaining $923 which resolves the issue.

In summary, I have been 100% reimbursed for the additional expenses (documented)
related to replicating the cancelled cruise. In addition, I have been
Compensated for the "future cruise" credit of $2500.

Sincerely,

Linda Marin"
Linda Marin, the woman who NEVER GIVES UP! I am thrilled that they honored their guarantee ... and did the right thing by a generous credit as compensation for your angst and hard work. I have been looking at HA for an Asian cruise and this solution removes the stigma I had formed when first reading about their short-sighted actions.