Veeizon update breaks my phone

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 20, 2018
So my pgine woeked fine and long comes tgis forced update for operating system for mt htc one max.
By the time ita all ovee my phone is busted.

I did manage to email a veeizon executive who forwarded me off to someone else. Thats would not have bothered me except for she is acting like a used car salesman, how rude. They refusw to replace mmyphine

Sep 20, 2018
They refuse to replace my phone, and Ive been with them 20 plus years. The best they would do was give me 50% off on a 2015 phone, I explained Im a heart patient living on disability. Im old school and in my day a company took care of their customer. All I wanted waa a free replacement

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is the problem with older phones- they become obsolete after awhile and you are forced to buy a new phone. They phone companies can no longer support old phones and you have to get another phone.

My father in law had a flip phone he loved and AT and T sent him a letter a couple of years ago that he had to get a new phone. A T and T had two other phones he could buy at a lower cost and that’s what he had to do.

Sooner or later this happens with most phones.

Are you out of contract with Verizon? If so, look st another phone company that might have differently priced phones. But if the phone is old- you might have to replace it.

Sep 20, 2018
Well Ive learned from this. In my thinking my phone age shpupd ne irrelevsnt, its 3 years old, but worked fine, the htc one max was first released in 2013. I bought mime, 3 years ago. Ok so now I ger it, its considered obsolete. Meanwhile, verixom could ne a bit more gracious and simply send a new one free. On a small budget. The operating systrm is shot, phone will not power on. In order to buy a phone for $100 when not in the budget I will not psy our families elrctric bill. I was going to buy a phone via verizon financing spring next year. But tjat was planned. This was not. So they could be gracious. Im very disapointed and evidently its my only choice

Sep 19, 2015
They refuse to replace my phone, and Ive been with them 20 plus years. The best they would do was give me 50% off on a 2015 phone, I explained Im a heart patient living on disability. Im old school and in my day a company took care of their customer. All I wanted waa a free replacement
You do not get a free replacement when something is obsolete or does not have enough RAM for the operating system — if that was the case I would have never had to buy another computer after buying an Macintosh II in the 90s.

Have you tried to force reboot to get the phone to power on?

Does the phone have enough RAM for the operating system update?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You do not get a free replacement when something is obsolete or does not have enough RAM for the operating system — if that was the case I would have never had to buy another computer after buying an Macintosh II in the 90s.

Have you tried to force reboot to get the phone to power on?

Does the phone have enough RAM for the operating system update?
The RAM is most likely the cause.

Sep 12, 2018
I don’t know whether you’re able to go to a Verizon store, but they have technicians who might be able to reset your phone and bring it back to life. An operating system update is specific to the make and model of phone, and should not ever make it stop working altogether, unless something went wrong during the update. I know your HTC is not working, but if you have access to another phone, I’d suggest calling ahead to the store to make sure they have technicians who can help you and schedule a time to have your phone serviced.

If you’re not able to do that, and if you aren’t under contract with Verizon, other companies might offer a better monthly rate and be able to offer a free phone when you sign up. You can keep your phone number when you switch companies now, so you don’t have to worry about that.

Aug 30, 2015
Sorry it broke. I really don't think you're going to get a "free" replacement. I know it sounds unjust, but that's how it is. Back in "your" day, the phone company owned the phone and it didn't have updates. You paid for it every month and those fees covered the cost of the very occasional maintenance on them. It was also not affordable to make long distance calls for any length of time.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@Ken motley I did a search and came up with this article. It doesn't expressly help you with Verizon but it does provide some other options if you are not stuck in a contract.

https://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/best-cell-phone-plans-and-phones-for-seniors/

You might also check out this website from the FCC about Lifeline which provides a discount on monthly service of $9.25 per month for eligible low-income subscribers. Subscribers may receive a Lifeline discount on either a wireline or a wireless service, but may not receive a discount on both services at the same time. Lifeline also supports broadband and broadband-voice bundles. FCC rules prohibit more than one Lifeline service per household.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/lifeline-support-affordable-communications

And here is the direct page to determine if you are eligible and find a participating provider.

https://www.lifelinesupport.org/ls/default.aspx