Vayama/Turkish Air - Adding Middle Name after booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 21, 2019
Dear Mr. Elliot:
I’m experiencing some difficulty re-booking a ticket with Turkish Air from SFO to Tel Aviv.
I originally booked my flight on Vayama.com on Sunday, August 11, 2019 for the following dates: November 8 - December 1, 2019.
Confirmation number xxxxxxx
There was no field for a middle name (which I do have on my passport) when I booked the flight on line.
I was subsequently told by Turkish Air that the middle name is required.
My search of web sites had conflicting experiences as to whether this is true, and I’m concerned about my flight.
I’ve had various phone conversation with Turkish Air since and there seems to be some confusion on their end on how to resolve this. I was told that they have rebooked a ticket for me with my middle name and that I may need to go to the San Francisco Airport to pay for this new ticket as their is no mechanism to pay on line. They said they don't have the "Final" price yet.
I’m concerned with my ability to fly with a “name difference” on the ticket. I’m likewise concerned that as they work to change the name on the ticket, they may hike the price for the ticket even though I complied with all the prompts and fields available to me at the time of my booking on their site.
Can you help me resolve this issue so I can make my plans with peace of mind and no additional charges?
Thank you, very much!
Sincerely,
Melinda Jeanette Dahl

Edited to remove confirmation number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2019
I initially called Turkish Air to correct the ticket right after I booked. They subsequently rebooked a flight with my middle name. They said they will let me know the adjusted price (it should not change, but who knows) as well as a mechanism to pay. They said I may have to go to my local airport to fix this. It is taking an incredibly long time to fix this. I wish I knew why it was taking them so long to fix it. They are very pleasant but not forthcoming with any helpful information for me. The idea that I may have to pay more for this ticket is very upsetting. I hope someone can help.

Sep 19, 2015
Did you try and cancel within 24 hours?

Note that Vayama may charge fee for 24 hour cancellation

"If you decide to change or cancel a confirmed booking for air travel, and such changes or cancellation is allowed, Vayama will charge you a fee of up to $100.00 USD per person. Note that Vayama can charge you this fee even if you cancel within 24 hours of receiving your booking confirmation. "

Vayama now has a warning on its booking page vayamapassengerinfo.png

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I just called Vayama and they said Turkish Air needs to fix it.
And this is why third party websites are not recommended - finger pointing.

We have company contacts for Vayama.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/vayama/

It’s time to go to the first executive:
Roel Heyn
Customer Relations Manager
333 W Santa Clara Street
Suite 800
San Jose, CA 95113
[email protected]

Tell him that it’s Vayamas website that doesn’t have the appropriate middle name field and that you expect them to correct this. It is not your fault or Turkish Airlines fault that Vayamas website is not compliant with the middle name and they need to fix it for you.

Give him a week to reply. If he doesn’t if continues to say it’s Turkish’s problem, move to the next executive. Repeat until you get to the top.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I initially called Turkish Air to correct the ticket right after I booked. They subsequently rebooked a flight with my middle name. They said they will let me know the adjusted price (it should not change, but who knows) as well as a mechanism to pay. They said I may have to go to my local airport to fix this. It is taking an incredibly long time to fix this. I wish I knew why it was taking them so long to fix it. They are very pleasant but not forthcoming with any helpful information for me. The idea that I may have to pay more for this ticket is very upsetting. I hope someone can help.
This is awful, Melinda. I urge you to do everything possible to get your tix corrected. If you can get out to SFO in person, research the Turkish flights and arrive when you are sure the Turkish staff will be there. Take screen shots to show that you couldn't add the extra name. I fear that right now you are holding a tix from Vayama and you also have a tix booked directly with Turkish ... and that Turkish will want full payment for the tix you booked through them. Very little about airlines' behaviour today makes logical sense; there are rules and rules galore, and the airlines don't always function in the passenger's favor. In fact, as we see here every week, airlines seem to go out of their way to extract as much money from their customers as possible. This has all the makings of a real mess. Hopefully some kind, experienced SFO agent can take care of this for you. When it's all settled, monitor that tix directly on Turkish' website every week until your outbound flight.

Mar 17, 2015
Last year, I ran into this issue with KLM. Per a phone call, the middle name is not on the ticket, BUT it is in the passenger information area, where you enter gender, KTN, etc. This is where your middle name needs to be. Now, this was for a flight to Hungary on a US passport. I do not know if different countries have different requirements. I do know that TSA was fine with no middle name on ticket, even though that did not "match" my passport, which has my middle name.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
According to the photo of the Booking form on Vayama (see circle in red) the first line asks for “First & Middle” name? View attachment 2814
Well, technically it asks for "given" name. I'll bet lots of people overlook those words. For years I've flown internationally with my first and last name only on the tix, and full legal name on passport without any problems.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Well, technically it asks for "given" name. I'll bet lots of people overlook those words. For years I've flown internationally with my first and last name only on the tix, and full legal name on passport without any problems.
Me too, was never an issue. But it does ask for “Given + Middle Name” .

Apr 6, 2017
Listing first and middle name is not that uncommon in the first name field--I had to do the same thing for Interjet for flight to MEX.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then this is not the fault of the airline or Vayama at all- the OP didn’t put the name in properly so she will need to deal with Vayama to correct the ticket and the airline and Vayama might charge a fee or require her to purchase a new ticket.