Vayama Nightmare

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 1, 2018
As a frequent traveler, I am an avid user of kayak.com for my flights. However within the last year, Kayak began using Vayama as a major agency instead of redirecting to the airline sites. The prices offered by Vayama were often much lower than those obtained directly from the airline website. My wife and I decided to try Vayama for our upcoming vacation to Mexico and were pleased to save around $200 on the flights (CLE - ATL - MEX - ZIH) [August 29]. This was our first mistake.

Almost immediately after booking the flight [September 4], we received a change of flight notification that added an hour and a half to our already long travel day (~13 hours). We now were to leave Cleveland at 5:40AM instead of 7AM. This was after we deliberately paid more for the flight leaving at 7AM instead of 5:40AM. I understand this happens and airlines explicitly state they have the right to change our flight (though it costs the consumer $200 for the same privilege). We accepted this annoying but minor change.

The next flight change [September 15] was a notification cancelling 2 legs of the flight so that the trip was from Detroit to Mexico city. It completely eliminated our home airport and final destination. When I called to complain (and wait for 45 minutes) I finally spoke to someone who assured me they would fix the error and I needed to give them time to communicate to the airline that this change was "unacceptable to me" (in what world would that change be acceptable?).

A week later [September 18th], I called again, and spoke to another representative who seemed to have no record of the first phone call. I was pushy and finally had them agree to issue a full refund; however, I received no correspondence until I called back the next day requesting such (even though they promised I would receive an email within 24 hours).

I was told at the original cancellation that it could take UP TO 4 weeks for the refund to appear in my account. It has now been 6 weeks and they are telling me it could be another 30-40 business days before I get my refund. I am calling every day requesting they fast track our refund but they keep insisting they have to wait for the airline to issue my refund. Additionally, they are unable to tell me the claim number given for the airline to track the refund with them.

I am perplexed how their company works and why I have to wait for a refund on a flight they failed to provide. My dealings were with Vayama, but now they are the middle man between me and Aeromexico?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Stop calling--use email only. You can also dispute this on your credit card.

They have cheap flights because they have no customer service and put cobbled together itineraries subject to the problems you now have. If you had booked directly with the airline (not Kayak.com) you would not have this problem.

If you have a prepaid vacation you should get real flights from a real airline ASAP and fight with Vayama over the months it may take. Your credit card may give you immediate credit if you have documents stating that they now have you on a flight schedule that does not start and end where you need to be.

We have multiple stories daily on the forums of similar problems with online booking agencies.

Sep 19, 2015
Vayama does not have live pricing so that is why the flights are unavailable after making a booking request.

There are many negative reviews of Vayama for a reason.

Vayama may charge you an administrative fee for the cancellation.

How did you pay for the tickets?

Nov 1, 2018
Thank you for the replies. Yes, against my better judgment I used Vayama and will not be using them again (as well as advocating that no one else does).

I have documentation that I will be receiving a full refund. I paid via credit card.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for the replies. Yes, against my better judgment I used Vayama and will not be using them again (as well as advocating that no one else does).

I have documentation that I will be receiving a full refund. I paid via credit card.
I am relieved that you have documentation and that you paid by credit card. I would look at the timeline for being able to file a dispute so that it does not pass.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Usually I raise an eyebrow at the word "nightmare" in a headline, but not for your case. I would file a credit card dispute right this minute. They're dorking around with your money, you should get your money back right now. A decent company would not wait for someone else to act, they would take care of their customer right now. I fear that you could be waiting months more for them to refund your money. But we appreciate your post, because it reinforces what we have been saying for YEARS. Book direct, always book direct. Forget about the cheapest anything. Compare real airlines to real airlines and make your choice. Buy your tix and move on. Check your res monthly, watch flight times and your seat assignments and be mindful of connection times. Have a good trip knowing that your chances of a good trip are 90% better than if had booked the cheapest thing from an online booking agency.

As far as travelling to Mexico, I would do some research and think carefully about it. You might want to spend your money and time in a country that's more safe. Just my personal opinion.

Mar 14, 2018
Usually I raise an eyebrow at the word "nightmare" in a headline, but not for your case. I would file a credit card dispute right this minute.
Agreed. Why should you deal with the hassle? You've more than given Vayama the chance to deal with the situation. You should relish the fact that they'll be penalized for the chargeback--They've more than earned it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Usually I raise an eyebrow at the word "nightmare" in a headline, but not for your case. I would file a credit card dispute right this minute. They're dorking around with your money, you should get your money back right now. A decent company would not wait for someone else to act, they would take care of their customer right now. I fear that you could be waiting months more for them to refund your money. But we appreciate your post, because it reinforces what we have been saying for YEARS. Book direct, always book direct. Forget about the cheapest anything. Compare real airlines to real airlines and make your choice. Buy your tix and move on. Check your res monthly, watch flight times and your seat assignments and be mindful of connection times. Have a good trip knowing that your chances of a good trip are 90% better than if had booked the cheapest thing from an online booking agency.

As far as travelling to Mexico, I would do some research and think carefully about it. You might want to spend your money and time in a country that's more safe. Just my personal opinion.
My wife and I just returned from Mexico. We had absolutely no problems and haven’t in more than 20 years traveling there. The security at the entrances to get into the hotels we stayed at was tougher than the airport security.

There are more issues in Jamaica right now. The government warnings to trsvel ro Mexico have not changed in a very long time.

There are more shootings in the US then in Mexico. I wish that people would stop feeding the fallacies about Mexico. If you aren’t a drug dealer and don’t flash money around in front of people you shouldn’t fear Mexico,

Nov 1, 2018
ISSUE RESOLVED. I emailed the primary contact listed on the Vayama contacts section of this website. Within about 3 hours I had a reply saying I would have my refund within 5-7 business days. It was "pending" on my credit card by the next day. Still hasn't posted but I'm hopeful it will in the next business day or two.

Thank you all for your help.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I love Mexico. Oaxaca is in the top three favorite places I've ever been. Aeromexico is a decent airline, as long as you book with them directly. OP, if you are going to Mexico City, please make sure to prepare for altitude sickness! We went from Boston nonstop to Mexico City, and after 20 minutes in the airport I got a headache and nausea that lasted for a day and a half.