VAYAMA FAILS MISERABLY

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 9, 2018
To make this as short as possible, I did a flight search for "Wednesday June 6th, 2018, after 6:00 p.m." leaving New York to Paris. Got great fare and airline schedule with Vayama on Norwegian Air, so I booked it. Once I printed out confirmation, I saw that ticket was for Wednesday June 6th, 2018 at 00:30, which obviously, to me, was NOT WEDNESDAY EVENING AFTER 6:00 PM, but rather half hour past midnight on Tuesday June 5th (really 6/6/18). So I immediately (well, no one can call Vayama immediately, it took more like 20 tries until I got something other than busy signal, and then sat on hold for over 25 minutes, which come to find out over the past 4 months that I've been trying to get this issue resolved with them is actually quite a SHORT WAIT TIME... I've been on hold as long as 48 minutes !!!!!!!!) contacted Vayama to tell them of this error, and indeed I admit that at this point it was still partly my fault, cuz even though I requested after 6 p.m. on Wednesday, I just didn't catch the error until after I saw it in writing.

What happened AFTER MY CONVERSATION with the agent is COMPLETELY Vayama's fault. I told the agent exactly what I said above about the 00:30 6/6 being Tuesday evening, and she said No IT WAS NOT, IT WAS Wednesday EVENING 6/6. I continued to argue, even going so far as to paint a full scenario, telling her, OK, you're telling me that, since both my husband and I have to work on Wednesday June 6th until 3 p.m., then go home, finish packing, have dinner, and leave around 7 p.m. for the Newark airport, then our flight would leave at half past midnight on Wednesday, and she said Yes, absolutely, and reiterated this several times, that was the way they did their bookings, so I said OK, and printed out itinerary and didn't give it another thought (This was done beginning of March, and we would be traveling 3 months later).

A couple months go by, I"m still booking hotels, cars, tours, etc. so I decide to check over my air travel plans on Vayama's site again, and see that they now have my husband's name wrong, using his first name as his last name also!!! Again, obviously, not something I would have typed that way. So, I call, and call, and call, til I get through, and they say they will take care of it, and send me email within 48 hours with the name corrected. 2 days, 3 days go by, and then it"s only a week until our flight leaves. So I start calling them every day, as well as sending email messages. With the time change, I need to call them while I'm at work, often sitting with the phone on hold for 30 or 40 minutes. I did get to speak with an agent each of the 3 days I called on that final week leading up to when we were to fly out, which I'm planning on being Wednesday evening late, and this was also mentioned on my part several times, as in "you still have not corrected my husband's name, and our flight leaves Wednesday evening, so I want to check in online by Tuesday), and even on TUESDAY JUNE 5TH THEY STILL HAD NOT FIXED IT, I SPOKE TO THEM THAT VERY SAME DAY, again mentioning wanting to check in 24 hours prior to get boarding passes online, and they STILL did not correct me about that being the wrong day/date/time.

Well, they did finally fix his name, but it did not matter, obviously, as we show up at airport on Wednesday June 6th only to find our flight was Tuesday late evening June 5th just like I said all along, but with which Vayama disagreed. After my near hysterics, it was time to figure out what to do.... Norwegian had no other flights to Paris for 3 more days, so we would have missed our entire stay in Paris, already paid in full for Newark airport parking for 10 days, already paid for transfer airport/hotel to Paris, paid in full Paris hotel, and already booked/paid in full for car from Paris to Nantes 2 days later, so all that would have been forfeited.

AND, MEANWHILE, forgot to mention, we look up on Vayama site a number for emergencies, or emergency email, or anything. I do send message to customer service advising them of what happened to see if they could help, but they did not get back to us. Also could not even REACH them on the phone number provided, just kept getting the same message over and over and over, don't remember exact wording, but basically the number was not working. So we ended up calling every travel site we could think of trying to find anyone flying to Paris that evening, finally finding 11:55 p.m. flight through Last Minute Travel, but having to shell out $1,046, which really, shockingly, wasn't as expensive as we thought, but still, to have this happen on the day of our departure, frantically trying to find a flight, pay for it, and unfortunately, it was out of JFK, we were at Newark, with our car parked there, so we had to also, very quickly in order to make our newly purchased flight, get to JFK, change our 10-day parking reservation, pay a ton of tolls, etc.

We have spoken to Vayama numerous times by email and by phone, getting nothing but what I consider "standard company email", not even getting anywhere near addressing our questions... i.e. "we're sorry we cannot change your ticket, you will need to contact the airline directly". Seriously, did you even READ my email ???? I am still fighting, this is NOT FAIR, I KNEW the date was wrong, and what I am counting on is that, like Vayama told me, and I did specifically ask them about, was did they record our phone conversations, and they said indeed they did, so I have been asking them to go back to March 10th when I first booked, noted the mistake, and immediately called them, and the agent repeatedly told me that I did indeed have Wednesday evening after midnight flight booked. I want them to reimburse me for the money to get another flight, and they're lucky I'm not going for "mental stress", because that whole incident just about put me over the edge, and I cannot believe they will not DO ANYTHING AT ALL TO EVEN TRY TO HELP IN SOME WAY, in fact, I was told twice that a supervisor would be calling me within 24 hours, and that has not even happened.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018
To make this as short as possible, I did a flight search for "Wednesday June 6th, 2018, after 6:00 p.m." leaving New York to Paris. Got great fare and airline schedule with Vayama on Norwegian Air, so I booked it. Once I printed out confirmation, I saw that ticket was for Wednesday June 6th, 2018 at 00:30, which obviously, to me, was NOT WEDNESDAY EVENING AFTER 6:00 PM, but rather half hour past midnight on Tuesday June 5th (really 6/6/18). So I immediately (well, no one can call Vayama immediately, it took more like 20 tries until I got something other than busy signal, and then sat on hold for over 25 minutes, which come to find out over the past 4 months that I've been trying to get this issue resolved with them is actually quite a SHORT WAIT TIME... I've been on hold as long as 48 minutes !!!!!!!!) contacted Vayama to tell them of this error, and indeed I admit that at this point it was still partly my fault, cuz even though I requested after 6 p.m. on Wednesday, I just didn't catch the error until after I saw it in writing.

What happened AFTER MY CONVERSATION with the agent is COMPLETELY Vayama's fault. I told the agent exactly what I said above about the 00:30 6/6 being Tuesday evening, and she said No IT WAS NOT, IT WAS Wednesday EVENING 6/6. I continued to argue, even going so far as to paint a full scenario, telling her, OK, you're telling me that, since both my husband and I have to work on Wednesday June 6th until 3 p.m., then go home, finish packing, have dinner, and leave around 7 p.m. for the Newark airport, then our flight would leave at half past midnight on Wednesday, and she said Yes, absolutely, and reiterated this several times, that was the way they did their bookings, so I said OK, and printed out itinerary and didn't give it another thought (This was done beginning of March, and we would be traveling 3 months later).

A couple months go by, I"m still booking hotels, cars, tours, etc. so I decide to check over my air travel plans on Vayama's site again, and see that they now have my husband's name wrong, using his first name as his last name also!!! Again, obviously, not something I would have typed that way. So, I call, and call, and call, til I get through, and they say they will take care of it, and send me email within 48 hours with the name corrected. 2 days, 3 days go by, and then it"s only a week until our flight leaves. So I start calling them every day, as well as sending email messages. With the time change, I need to call them while I'm at work, often sitting with the phone on hold for 30 or 40 minutes. I did get to speak with an agent each of the 3 days I called on that final week leading up to when we were to fly out, which I'm planning on being Wednesday evening late, and this was also mentioned on my part several times, as in "you still have not corrected my husband's name, and our flight leaves Wednesday evening, so I want to check in online by Tuesday), and even on TUESDAY JUNE 5TH THEY STILL HAD NOT FIXED IT, I SPOKE TO THEM THAT VERY SAME DAY, again mentioning wanting to check in 24 hours prior to get boarding passes online, and they STILL did not correct me about that being the wrong day/date/time.

Well, they did finally fix his name, but it did not matter, obviously, as we show up at airport on Wednesday June 6th only to find our flight was Tuesday late evening June 5th just like I said all along, but with which Vayama disagreed. After my near hysterics, it was time to figure out what to do.... Norwegian had no other flights to Paris for 3 more days, so we would have missed our entire stay in Paris, already paid in full for Newark airport parking for 10 days, already paid for transfer airport/hotel to Paris, paid in full Paris hotel, and already booked/paid in full for car from Paris to Nantes 2 days later, so all that would have been forfeited.

AND, MEANWHILE, forgot to mention, we look up on Vayama site a number for emergencies, or emergency email, or anything. I do send message to customer service advising them of what happened to see if they could help, but they did not get back to us. Also could not even REACH them on the phone number provided, just kept getting the same message over and over and over, don't remember exact wording, but basically the number was not working. So we ended up calling every travel site we could think of trying to find anyone flying to Paris that evening, finally finding 11:55 p.m. flight through Last Minute Travel, but having to shell out $1,046, which really, shockingly, wasn't as expensive as we thought, but still, to have this happen on the day of our departure, frantically trying to find a flight, pay for it, and unfortunately, it was out of JFK, we were at Newark, with our car parked there, so we had to also, very quickly in order to make our newly purchased flight, get to JFK, change our 10-day parking reservation, pay a ton of tolls, etc.

We have spoken to Vayama numerous times by email and by phone, getting nothing but what I consider "standard company email", not even getting anywhere near addressing our questions... i.e. "we're sorry we cannot change your ticket, you will need to contact the airline directly". Seriously, did you even READ my email ???? I am still fighting, this is NOT FAIR, I KNEW the date was wrong, and what I am counting on is that, like Vayama told me, and I did specifically ask them about, was did they record our phone conversations, and they said indeed they did, so I have been asking them to go back to March 10th when I first booked, noted the mistake, and immediately called them, and the agent repeatedly told me that I did indeed have Wednesday evening after midnight flight booked. I want them to reimburse me for the money to get another flight, and they're lucky I'm not going for "mental stress", because that whole incident just about put me over the edge, and I cannot believe they will not DO ANYTHING AT ALL TO EVEN TRY TO HELP IN SOME WAY, in fact, I was told twice that a supervisor would be calling me within 24 hours, and that has not even happened.

Jun 30, 2017
Perhaps I'm confused, but it appears that you went to the airport on Wednesday PM when your ticket still said your departure was Wednesday at 12:30 AM. If that was not resolved prior to Tuesday you were going to miss your flight. Norwegian does not fly daily as you discovered when you tried to find another flight. Use Vayama or any other search engine to find your flights and then book directly with the airline. You can then cancel and rebook if there is an error that you discover with the airline direct booking within 24 hrs, but you need to review all confirmations as soon as received so as not to miss the 24 hr window for cancel or modification.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You would have been able to cancel your flight within 24 hours and rebooked if you found the error immediately.

Regardless of what the agent told you- the time in your ticket was 12:30 AM on June 6. An agent cannot tell you anything different than what your ticket says.

You now became a no show when you didn’t board that flight and you usually cannot bet any money back when you don’t show up for the flight.

We’re all your dealings with Vayama over the phone and none in writing? Do you have the names of the agents you spoke to?

Sep 19, 2015
You are dealing with a crappy online booking engine with overseas call centers — what could possibly go wrong? If the time was 00:30 that is right after midnight of the 5th which would have been the 6th which you understood, and I do not understand how some call center person could convince you otherwise.

Did you ever think to call the airline if there was some confusion?

I am sorry to sound harsh but why use a crappy online engine instead of booking directly with the airline? Vayama has a lot of terrible reviews for a reason.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry you've had such a frustrating, expensive lesson in booking air. Online booking services do one thing well: take your booking and your money. That's it. The confusion over the time was quite ridiculous. The use of 24-hour time is standard in travel. 11:59 is just before midnight, :01 is just after. That's it, there is no confusion ... that's why they use 24-hour (AKA military) time. OBSs are staffed with the lowest level of employee, if they can take your booking and your money, they get the job. I'm very glad you got to Paris ... and at a very good price.

Travellers today must act as their own travel agents if they're booking travel on the internet. There is no help anywhere, but if you book directly with an airline or hotel, you have a chance of straightening out a mess like this. With an OBS, no chance. The internet is not your friend, it's just a communication system that allows companies to prey on customers. Companies with huge advertising budgets and no customer service at all. You absolutely have to know all the rules of the game or they win. Pre-paying any travel without buying travel insurance is a recipe for disaster. I'm very impressed that you got to Paris without spending thousands, so you could use all your prepaid goodies.

Jul 9, 2018
You would have been able to cancel your flight within 24 hours and rebooked if you found the error immediately.

Regardless of what the agent told you- the time in your ticket was 12:30 AM on June 6. An agent cannot tell you anything different than what your ticket says.

You now became a no show when you didn’t board that flight and you usually cannot bet any money back when you don’t show up for the flight.

We’re all your dealings with Vayama over the phone and none in writing? Do you have the names of the agents you spoke to?
I did call them, immediately upon printing it out after booking to tell them it was wrong but agent told me it was NOT wrong, that I had booked Wednesday night....

Jun 30, 2017
I did call them, immediately upon printing it out after booking to tell them it was wrong but agent told me it was NOT wrong, that I had booked Wednesday night....
Did you actually check the airline website to find out if there was a Wednesday PM flight? It sounds like there was not and therefore your ticket for 12:30 AM was the only flight you could be on. Did you try to check in for a Wednesday flight from home?

Sep 19, 2015
What happened is clumsiness with language. 00:30 on June 6th is Wednesday — and it is depending on who one speaks to either night (ie the term midnight) or morning as in 1 am.

Did you ever call the airline to clarify in the months before your trip?

These sites like Vayama have call centers not real travel agents. Had you booked with the airline directly you could have changed it for free within 24 hours.

Vayama is a lousy company but it will stay in business as long as people keep using them.